It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2006, 04:42 AM   #1
(female)

Hobbley HB User
Cartilage renewal - anything new out there?

My boyfriend has advanced osteoarthritis resulting in bone-on-bone cartilage erosion (knee). He had arthroscopic surgery a few months ago, needs to have another within the next few months and has been told he'll be looking at a knee replacement 10/15 years down the road. We've been looking for whatever procedure or supplements, etc. (not the usual glucosamine/MSM/chondroitin sulfate schtick) might be out there that shows promise for renewing cartilage. I know this is the holy grail for orthopedic surgeons, but perhaps if we search hard and long enough, we'll find something on the cutting edge that is showing promise. If you have something to share on this subject, would love to hear from you.

Old 09-01-2006, 08:14 AM   #2
(female)

Gainup HB User
Re: Cartilage renewal - anything new out there?

Hello,

I am trying a procedure called Prolotherapy. It's basically an injection filled with a sugar solution, maybe MSM and other natural ingredients. You get as many injections as you need about every 3 weeks. Edited to add that after the series of injections, you don't need to get more. Basically it gets the cardlidge and ligaments to regenerate.

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=420116[/url]

[removed] I'm getting it done by a naturopath Dr. and I don't think it's mainstream with MDs yet. I'm at the point now where I'll try anything!! I've also been doing acupuncture and I am noticing a difference with my pain level.

It's no fun having lousy knees, I know!!!

Last edited by HBMod07; 09-01-2006 at 07:28 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2006, 09:47 AM   #3
(female)

legtoolong HB User

Hi,
A friend of mine has had injections in the knee made from chicken. Here is a website that talks about the chicken injections the product listed below is what my friend had. He thinks it is wonderful—the article isn’t so sure.
[removed]

This is the product he had injected. It has lasted him more than the 6 months they claim it will help.

Synvisc (Wyeth Pharmaceuticals)

Last edited by HBMod07; 09-01-2006 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Do not post URL's to sites that contain posting boards

Old 09-01-2006, 04:32 PM   #4
(female)

Hobbley HB User

Hi GainUp, thank you for the message. We've heard of Prolotherapy and spoke to the doc about it (same doc that takes care of the New York Giants - one of the best). He didn't dismiss Prolotherapy, felt it was appropriate for certain types of knee problems, but unfortunately not our knee problem. Good luck with your knees and thanks again for responding.

Old 09-01-2006, 04:35 PM   #5
(female)

Hobbley HB User

Thank you Legtoolong for the info about Synvisc. Had never heard of it before and read about it with interest. Unfortunately for us it addresses only pain issues, not cartilage renewal. It's good info to have though, so thanks for sharing it.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:55 AM   #6
(male)

flyingoose HB User

did your boyfriend ever resolve his knee issues? i am currently experiencing the same problems (no meniscus left in my right medial compartment, deteriorating articular cartilage, lots of pain and discomfort, as well as significantly reduced ability to move) and would like to know what you guys figured out, if anything. thanks for your time.

Closed Thread