It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2006, 05:49 AM   #1
(male)

unhealthy HB User
Crunchy Knee Sounds

WHen I bend my knees, I get an annoying crunching sound. I mean, its a loud crackling sound. When I go up and down stairs, people around me can hear it. I dont even have to squat, I can just slightly bend them and get this sound.

Im only 23. Im also 5'9 and 235 pounds, yeah thats over weight, but people bigger than me dont have this...sound comming from them.

I dont have any knee pains, but my father had knee problems. What Im wondering is, is my knee actually grinding against the cartilage by my patella, or is something else making that sound? Theres no pain, my knees are not weak, and I do not do Knee intensive/knee shocking exercises because of the sound.

I want to start jumping rope but all that crackling doesnt sound good at all.

Am I eventually going to become handicapped?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2006, 05:29 PM   #2
(female)

Pam17 HB User
Re: Crunchy Knee Sounds

I'm 46 and have the same noise in my left knee and some pain. My physiotherapist has told me it is due to a combination of me being overweight plus my inner thigh muscle is not as strong as it should be so the kneecap is being pulled unevenly.
Apparently when you bend the knee the inner thigh muscle should start to take the strain slightly before the outer muscle. If the inner muscle is weaker then the outer muscle starts to pull first and so the kneecap is not pulled in the correct line and grating can occur.

I have been given a series of exercises to do to try to strengthen my inner thigh muscle plus a referral to a Podiatrist as my physio thinks my habit of walking over hard on the outside of my foot has contributed to my inner thigh muscle becoming weaker.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2006, 06:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

brook65 HB User

Hi I am 41 and also have this. Does it sound like a crisp packet being scrunched up type of noise?

I also don't have pain, but if I wear heeled shoes, my knees can sometimes give way.

I was told it could be Osteoatheritis

Old 09-22-2006, 11:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

any abnormal sound should be checked. Generaly a crunching sound is either a damaged kneecap, torn cartilage or degeneration of the knee also known as Osteo Arthritis.
I really suggest you see an Orthopeadic surgeon for appropriate testing.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:57 PM   #5
(female)

woman88 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by unhealthy View Post
WHen I bend my knees, I get an annoying crunching sound. I mean, its a loud crackling sound. When I go up and down stairs, people around me can hear it. I dont even have to squat, I can just slightly bend them and get this sound.

Im only 23. Im also 5'9 and 235 pounds, yeah thats over weight, but people bigger than me dont have this...sound comming from them.

I dont have any knee pains, but my father had knee problems. What Im wondering is, is my knee actually grinding against the cartilage by my patella, or is something else making that sound? Theres no pain, my knees are not weak, and I do not do Knee intensive/knee shocking exercises because of the sound.

I want to start jumping rope but all that crackling doesnt sound good at all.

Am I eventually going to become handicapped?

Old 09-26-2008, 08:31 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User

Hi.

This could be a sign of damage to the cartilage under your kneecap. It's called chondromalacia patella. One of my family members has the crunchy knee and the doctor told him that the signs and symptoms of chondromalacia patella (also called patellofemoral pain) include:

1. A dull, achy pain in the front of the knee
2. Increased pain when you walk up or down stairs (the most common symptom)
3. Pain in your knee when kneeling or squatting
4. Knee pain after sitting for long periods of time
5. A grating or grinding sensation when you extend your knee
6. Knee stiffness

Since the pain wasn't severe, he was told to treat it with rest and cold packs. But was told the following were signs of serious injury requiring further consultation with a doctor:

1. The knee hurts, even when when you aren't putting weight on it
2. If you have knee pain after a popping sound or snapping sensation
3. If the knee locked rigidly in one position, or kneecap was visibly out of place
4. If knee seems unusually loose or unstable when you put weight on it
5. If knee is swollen
6. If pain is associated with fever, chills or redness around the joint

Hope this helps.

Maggie

Old 12-05-2008, 10:52 AM   #7
(female)

jennofsix HB User

I have had the same noisy knees for years. I am 35 now and not overweight. Never have been so I don't believe that can be accused as the cause. I cannot do squats or run. I did not have the pain until a few years ago. The cold kills my knees. Unfortunately, I can recall my mother with creaky knees and it was a dead giveaway that she was on her way upstairs so we had some warning lol. However she did not have pain. My father eventually had both knees replaced. Whatever the reason is it is awful annoying. At this point I cannot head to the doctor due to lack of insurance. Any ideas? I get an upset stomach when I take Glucosamine. I know it is recommended but is there anything else I can do? Heat makes them feel better but I cannot stay in a bath all day no matter how much I would like that Thanks.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:02 AM   #8
(female)

Becci90 HB User

Yep I get crunching sounds...My leg gets locked all the time. I struggle walking in this weather without a limp. I can't kneel down, I can just about manage to squat a little bit but thats all. I get dull aches all the time whether im walking or not & every so often I get sharp stabbing pains. I lose my balance all the time....I am a bit of a gobshite though....& my knee gives out all the time now too....So I end up looking like a right fool!
I just turned 18 in September & have been like it since this time two years ago, when I shattered my knee cap. After 4 operations its still not right. My last op was in September.
From my experience heat helps far more than cold. Cold just makes it worse. Deep heat works well, as does using a wheat pack thats been heated up or a hot water bottle. Long term, you should be doing as much excersize as you can. You DO NOT want to be losing your muscle in your leg, its a complete arse to build that muscle up, it takes alot longer to build it back up than it does to lose it. Get yourself to a physio & if its still a problem they'll refer you to a consultant.
When my knee first started cracking/crunching it was because I had an excess flap of cartalige which they shaved off but I think it may of grown back
I feel like an old woman when im out walking. Its embarassing, Im flippin 18 not 81.
Anyone else had loads of problems with there knee after a reconstruction?
xx

Old 12-14-2008, 11:10 PM   #9
(female)

surelynine HB User

I have had crunchy sounding knees most of my life. I have also had some pain which has gotten much worse over the years. I don't think the crunching noise has all that much to do with the pain I have. My kneecap has dislocated at least 4 times over the years, the first time being when I was 19. Each time a dislocation occurred, I was not involved in any activity. One time I was lying on my bed reading a book and when I went to roll over, my kneecap didn't come with the rest of me. ouch!!!! I have a lot of pain going up and down stairs and hills - especially going down. I had my knees looked at several years ago and was told that my kneecaps don't track properly. I had an MRI last week and go to see the os tomorrow to see what his diagnosis is and what my options are.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:14 PM   #10
(male)

BrandonSimon HB User

I'm 18 and a pro athlete, and I've been lazy the last two months. Today I just got back into exersize and I from running a marathon to 2 minutes max. my knee's are in extreme pain, no flexability in them and also cracking sounds.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:49 AM   #11
(male)

pspaur HB User

I shattered my knee cap August 2004 so 5 years ago this month. I have only had one surgery but i feel like i should have had more. My knee grinds and after running or exercise it will swell up and basically puts me down for a couple days until the swelling subsides.

It has been hard to exercise and keep my leg in shape because of the grinding and pain and I am curious if it is harmful to exercise with this grinding or can i start building my leg back up. I want to start swimming but been slacking getting to the pool.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:51 PM   #12
(female)

forevergimpy HB User

I've had to have my right knee "cleaned out" several times due to a similar issue. However my left knee is very loud (audible to others actually) with no pain and my ortho says to wait for any surgical repair until pain dictates it.
Have you seen an ortho for your discomfort and swelling? If you are under someone's care, maybe you'd feel better with a second opinion.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:26 PM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

If you have prompt evaluation by a physician and then do whatever treatment is recommended you'll be on the road to better knee functioning. There are so many options for knees to help in the early stages of some knee pain and disorders - but putting off evaluation and treatment can cause problems to become worse and need more extensive treatment.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:13 AM   #14
(male)

ak1313 HB User

im 14 and i have this. the physiotherapist says that it is because i have flat feet (minor affect) and i grew tall rapidly. you need to work on your quadriceps which will strengthen the muscles and move your kneecap the way it should move without rubbing on to anything. just google some quadricep exercises.
p.s
i have no pain in my knees, just loud sounds similar to cracking knuckles

Old 03-23-2012, 04:49 PM   #15
(male)

jerseyj HB User

66 years and have my knees and lower back suddenly makes noises like a bag of large marbles. Was told by a younger co-worker who has similar issues that it could be because of the antibiotics we were given for our numerous sinus infections. Anyone ever hear of this? Is it reversible?

Closed Thread