It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2006, 04:02 AM   #1
(female)

mlh11350 HB User
Question meniscus tear

Hi,
Does anyone know if a meniscus tear will cause and numbness?
Light numbness down leg,really numb behind knee and below the ankle.
Not a Baker's Cyst.
Thanks,
Mary

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2006, 09:23 AM   #2
(female)

m1e1b1s1 HB User
Re: meniscus tear

Hi there!

My daughter went through a very bad meniscal tear last year....she did not have numbness.

Have you had an MRI done? Have you seen an orthopedic surgeon?

I don't know how old you are...but my daughter at the time was 14 and an avid basketball player (11 months of the year). She started to have pain in her knee and slight swelling. The doc though it was her ACL as her knee was loose...we went to the ortho on the docs advise, they said the same thing, but also it may be her meniscus. We tried PT/Ultra-sound/etc for 3 months with no real relief..she'd be playing basketball and fine, then her knee would lock...she'd bend it back and it would be fine for a while.

The MRI showed a small tear, so they scheduled surgery. THey went in and found it was...per the surgeon..."the worst meniscal tear I've seen in years", it was so large, it was a bucket handle tear, that it folded (reason for having to snap her knee) and didn't show on the MRI..her acl was also loose.

She had the surgey and had to go back in 4 months later to have a small piece of the meniscus removed as it didn't heal (blood supply to meniscus is limited) and she's been fine ever since...she does wear a brace...but was back on the basketball court within 4 weeks of her second surgery...and went on to softball, AAU basketball and soccer.....non stop.

GOod luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2006, 09:31 PM   #3
(female)

mlh11350 HB User

Hi,
I had meniscus repair,it will 2 yrs. on the 23rd. of Dec.
But I had a discectomy on L5 S1 on 7-29-06 and it didn't help the numbness.
If I stay up just a little time the numbness in foot and leg get worse.
The PA thinks I have another tear causing the numbness.
The sciatica pain is coming back.
I am in my 50's.
Thanks,
Mary

Old 10-12-2006, 06:31 PM   #4
(female)

WarriorPrncss HB User

m1e1b1s1, I'm just curious... did your daughter have constant pain, or just when she was playing sports/active. My trainer thinks I have a meniscal tear, but it's not always hurting and I can walk fine.

Thanks!

Old 10-18-2006, 07:19 AM   #5
(female)

m1e1b1s1 HB User

WarriorPrncss.....

Hi there!

She didn't have pain all of the time...she had some swelling, and it would get sore if she worked it hard, but other than that, and it catching when she ran, she was okay....she didn't have the "classic" symptoms of a meniscal tear either....one reason we waiting 3 months and went through therapy rather than just doing an MRI.

Just and FYI also, if yours is torn and you need surgery. Her surgeon used anchors, rather than stitching it...they desolve over a period of 5 years I believe...and are new to fixing a meniscal tear. She's still doing great, actually said last night she thinks she doesn't need her brace anymore...that scares me, but....she feels it's in her way now. They didn't fix her ACL, it was "frayed" but not torn, they had her knee locked in a brace for 5 or 6 weeks, to let the ACL heal....but with just a meniscal tear, I believe they start bending the knee after the first week or two. After the 5 or 6 weeks of her having her knee locked straight, we slowly started to bend it over the course of a month or two...then she started actual therapy....she saw a PT the whole time, but they worked only on the swelling etc while her ACL healed.

Good luck! Let me know how you are! If it is torn, make sure you have a GOOD surgeon.....I love my daughters...he's excellent! I trust him beyond words....he treated her with a broken growth plate in her ankle 2 years before the knee (yes...she broke it playing basketball :-) )....

Closed Thread