It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2006, 04:15 PM   #1
(female)

granny2billy HB User
Bilateral Hip Replacement

Hi Everyone,

I just discovered this site and am very happy I found it. I am 52 years old and had bilateral hip replacement on August 2, 2006. I have been going to physical therapy since I was released from the rehab hospital on August 17th. I no longer use the cane, except for safety going up and down the stairs. Everyone is amazed at my progress, even the physician says I am a text book bilateral hip patient.

My question is: Just when can I break the 90 degree precautions? and how do I go about it? I saw my surgeon on the 22nd of september and he said 8-10 weeks after the surgery. I am very afraid to start sitting on normal chairs. I hear horror stories of hip dislocations.

I attended pre surgery physical therapy, which was a life saver for me, I believe this is the secret to my speedy progress. I have been trying to wean off the pain medication (I take 1 vicodan every 8 hours), but when I try to stretch out the hours between pills, I get all stiff and can barely walk. Is this normal after 8 weeks?

I have so much to ask.
Kathi

Old 10-06-2006, 05:59 AM   #2
(female)

Ripanco HB User
Re: Bilateral Hip Replacement

Hi Kathi,

Welcome to a great board with tons of info. When you have a lot of extra time, take a look at the stickie threads at the top of the list, there is so much information there, it will boggle your mind!

I had simultaneous bilateral THR in May '05 at age 53. Although I am NOT text book, I am happy to share my recovery with you. However, you have to realize that all surgeons are a little different, so what might be right for me may not be for you, so the final say has to come from your surgeon. The type of surgery, prothesis and your strength will make a big difference in chance of dislocation.

I am not text book I have come to realize, for several reasons. I was extremely physically fit, had an outstanding surgeon and a great home support for my surgery. As a result, I did break hospital records for release time, I was home in 2 days. Was walking without crutches in 4 days and back to many athletic endevors pretty darn soon. I agree with you that your pre surgical PT was a big help.

The fear of dislocation is a big thing for all us hippies, probably a good thing. That being said, I did break my restricitons big time a few weeks after surgery trying to save a cat's life from a dog! After cat was rescued, I realized how foolish I had been, but fortunalty I was fine. I do not recommend this method!!

You will slowly start to break those restrictions (which technically are not restrictions any longer) as you get back to normal life. You may not even realize it at the time, but you will find you are doing things without thinking and "WOW, I did not dislocate!". Do not push it, but try not to obcess about it. Since it sounds like you were in pretty good physical shape pre surgery, your muscles, tendons, ligaments are going to be strong enough to help hold everything together.

As far as pain meds, I have a high pain tolerance so I was off all meds within 8 days. The stiffness you feel is pretty normal, and may not have anything to do with taking your pain meds. You are still doing some big time healing so yea, those muscles are going to complain especially when you first get up from sitting or laying. That soreness and stiffness should work off pretty quickly though, if you keep moving. Are you doing PT now? Ask about some stretches to help. I also found that the 3 month mark had a big leap in improvement, so try to be paitent, it will come. Any more questions?-Ask away!!

Andrea
(Believe in Barbaro)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2006, 06:01 AM   #3
(female)

granny2billy HB User

Thanks Barbara,

I appreciate your answering. I have been having alot of problem with pain, mostly, aching and sharp groin pain when i first get up from a chair or bed. Is this normal? I know it is only two months since the surgery, but I worry that something is wrong with the hip. I have been doing intensive pt since i got home from the rehab hospital and i have joined a spinning class starting monday.

I also normally have a high pain tolerance, but I guess I am worn down from the constant pain for 4 years prior to the surgery. I want to try to go back to advil for the pain management though, because I dont think the vicodin is necessary at this point.

I am pushing myself a little right now, because I am hosting my annual halloween party, next saturday, and I have tons of decorating to do. I make most of the decorations and try to plan a different theme each year. I also make all of the food, so shopping has been a big part of my activity the last few weeks.

thanks again for your input
kathi

Old 05-01-2008, 09:55 AM   #4
(female)

pamela777 HB User

I had simultaneous bilateral THR in May '05 at age 53. Although I am NOT text book, I am happy to share my recovery with you. However, you have to realize that all surgeons are a little different, so what might be right for me may not be for you, so the final say has to come from your surgeon. The type of surgery, prothesis and your strength will make a big difference in chance of dislocation.

My husband wants to have simultaneous bilateral THR. He's 55, in good health, but has excrutiating pain in both of his hips. He can't tie his shoes, painful to step up a curve, hard to sit in a chair. His doctor says he has severe oesteothritis and needs surgery right away. But, we can't find any doctor in our area that does this surgery simultaneous. He is scheduled for surgery mid-June to do one hip. Is simultaneous that uncommon? We're in Santa Barbara CA.[/FONT][/FONT]

Old 05-01-2008, 11:31 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User

I asked my doctor about bi-lateral and he said it's not necessarily uncommon but that such an operation has a longer recovery time and generally requires the patient to have a higher level of fitness pre-operatively than with one sided THR.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:40 PM   #6
(female)

maramac HB User

Andrea, I was very happy to read your post, I am curious as to whether you had the anterior approach. My Doctor has also suggested simultaneous bilateral hip surgery and as an extremely active 59 year old, I am worried about the recovery. Thanks.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:41 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Maramac....you may not have noticed but the original post on this was from 2006 and the last couple of replies were from 2008.

I just did the same thing on another board.....sometimes I just forget to check the date of the post.

Hope someone replies.

Jenny

Closed Thread