It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2006, 05:54 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

kim4074 HB User
chrondomylasia with bilateral Patella rubbing

I cant remember the rest of the bilateral part. I am have EXTREME pain mostly while sitting which my job is mostly sitting. I have seen an orthopedic dr and the x rays showed hardly any cartlidge left between my kneecap and the bone. He said that pt and leg strengthing would help with this. Well it hasnt I also asked about arthritis which he said no but I notice when it is damp out or raining or cold the pain increases. He said the surgery isnt 100% and I'm 31 and doesnt want to do it. I have been given cortisone shots, mobic, ibuprophen, naproxyn, vicoden and nothing takes the pain away most times of the day at work the level of pain is about 7-8 out of ten the pain seems to shoot through my leg right to my hands (the feeling you would get if you hit your funny bone). Is there anyone else who has experienced this? I also kinda want to demand surgery I mean how worse off could I be. I am not overweight I try to live an active life but this is slowly killing that since the pain is almost unbearable unless I'm standing in a certain postition. Also the MRI showed water in the knee. Just wondering is there help for this. Also my knee cap is in the wrong spot which is what I guess bilateral rubbing. The sugery would be cutting the tendon to release my knee cap which to me if it helps somewhat why not. I hope someone has been throught this. Any advice would be great. Kim

Last edited by kim4074; 10-06-2006 at 05:56 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2006, 07:46 PM   #2
(female)

Cup of coffee HB User
Re: chrondomylasia with bilateral Patella rubbing

Hi There~I was just recently diagnosed with Chondromalacia too. I have it in both knees, one knee is very painful while the other makes alot more noise but doesn't hurt at all. My dr. said that surgery would be an option if after 5 weeks of PT my pain and discomfort continues.

Well I've been into the PT two weeks and I'm feeling worse. The throbbing keeps me up all night.

If your doctor doesn't make you feel comfortable go for a second opinion. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Old 11-07-2006, 07:48 PM   #3
(female)

ajpoet HB User

I was just diagnosed with chondromalacia patella and mild patellar tracking abnormality - the pain... sucks - stairs and inclines are the worst but recently I feel so old just getting off the floor or couch - my knee crunches like freakin' cornflakes and buckles more and more which is scary in the midst of a grande central commute!! my doc wants me to do pt 2 x a week (my cobra copay sucks) and then see where we are - my other doc said he wanted to have me get injections to build up the cartilage again - im kind of dazed and confused over the whole thing - be strong though - the truth is out there - for all of us!
feel better

Old 07-24-2007, 09:11 PM   #4
(female)

emcnikki HB User

Hello - I was just recently told that I have chrondomylasia in my left knee that has most likely been caused from an accident several years ago in which I had dislocated my patella. Thing is, I'm 21 years old and I am a ballet/jazz/tap dancer getting ready to go to university to study more of it. I have to say that all of the popping and cracking is quite unattractive and leaves me in a lot of pain most of the time. My chiropractor was the one who diagnosed me with it. However, he gave me a good outlook. And it was not one of surgery. The problem is that when I dislocated it, it popped back in on its own when my muscles relaxed. But when this happened, the top of my kneecap and the bottom of my kneecap never lined up. This caused the rubbing of the bones. How am I solving my problem? Chiropractic. It has been five years since I have hurt it and it is difficult to get my patella to move, but I have been assured that with regular and persistant visits, he can get the top and bottom to once again align. After alignment, I can begin to strengthen the muscles in my leg and will prevent anymore patella rubbing. So far my knee has been pretty sore from trying to get it in a new position after five years, but it means no surgery and a good outlook. I have loose ligaments in my joints anyway so the chiropractor was not surprised that I had dislocated it to begin with. But if you are having trouble, I would say definately look into chiropractic before surgery. You have to be willing to give it time to heal as one or two visits will not be an instant fix. My chiropractic is a graduate of Palmer chiropractic in Iowa, but they are not the only great chiros. So I suggest giving it a shot.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:21 PM   #5
(female)

YuliaNichya HB User

emcnikki, AWEE I hope your knees get better. I am a SELF taught dancer (I do exactly what britney Spears does) but At home only) I have pfs in both knees and they are fine. tore meniscus in left knee its fine,right knee is messed up (IE ligament damage)possible ACL and gosh knows what else. I am still walking on it and trying to be active as much as I can .Peopel think Im faking the injury,. Heck no im not faking. When it comes to injuries I do NOT fake it. Pain isn't a real problem for me. Its annoying but when your knee feels loose or goes out on you a few times due to possible Acl injury. thats when it gets annoying. I don't get much swellnig either when i get hurt. if you want to know more about my injuries you may reply back to me and i'll tell you. you may go onto knee geeks forum (yulianichya) thats my user name for that forum

Closed Thread