It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2006, 11:14 AM   #1
(female)

happyhip HB User
total hip replacement 8 weeks ago - questions for you

Hello all, I'm very new to this. Having discovered this site and finding it so useful I thought I ask for some help. By the way I live in the UK. I'm doing well after having my op. which was an uncemented titanium and ceramic with plastic liner. Still on one crutch and walking around my home unaided when I feel up to it but now I'm getting bored! Walks are not enough now.
When do think I'll be allowed to go for bike rides again? I'm 44, other than dodgy hips I'm healthy, strong and mum to a nine year old, so I have to be active! Also if I did get into the bathtub how would I get out again without comprimising the 90 degree rule? I used to love my bubble baths. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 12-06-2006, 09:46 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Tobias HB User
Re: total hip replacement 8 weeks ago - questions for you

At 8 weeks, you are still recovering, even if you are bored! Boredom is actually a good sign in a way - it means that you are ready to begin to enjoy the mobility and pain relief that the THR will give you. But - you will continue to regain strength for months to come. Your doctor can advise you about specific activities and when it would be appropriate to begin them. For example it might be ok to start biking by using a stationary cycle for awhile and working up to a regular bike.

As for the bath tub question, I can only relate my experience (both hips replaced). Since sitting down and getting up out of a tub is very much like sitting and rising from the floor, I found both impossible before my surgeries and for many months after the surgeries. The only kind of "tub" I used was a hot tub which had steps for climbing in and out and a seat to sit on. Sitting on the floor (or on the bottom of a tub) are not something that I do even 4 years later unless I have to. Before you jump in, try it in a dry tub first and be sure someone is around to help you up if you can't do it yourself. And keep in mind that a naked body in soapy water is a sure fire recipe for slipping and falling things you want to avoid at any cost. I do know that some people go back to tub baths but I intend to be a "shower" person for the rest of my life.

Last edited by Tobias; 12-06-2006 at 09:49 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2006, 12:23 PM   #3
(male)

first hip HB User

how can I ask a question on this site?

Old 12-18-2006, 12:24 PM   #4
(male)

first hip HB User

how can I ask a question on this site?

Old 12-18-2006, 05:23 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Tobias HB User

click "New Thread" at the top left of the main page.

Old 12-18-2006, 10:43 PM   #6
(female)

lkspot HB User

Hello, stumbled upon this site. I'm 5 weeks post op and am doing fairly well. Had my right hip done with the uncemented. Just tired of using the walker but I know I'm still healing. I am having some pain when I sleep, well when I wake up. It's in front in the groin area, like right in the middle. It's not anywhere near the joint. I am wondering what this is. I dont have an appt until the 27th. Any help would be appreciated and I've not read and really dont have the time to read through all the previous threads. Does anyone else have this pain??

Old 01-01-2007, 04:29 PM   #7
(male)

heli1 HB User

Hi, I had a thr at age 46 and after 3 months my surgeon said I was ok to take a bath which I do. However, it is a good idea to make sure someone is around to help you out. With reference to bike rides, its probably best to check with the surgeon, and also to build up the muscles prior to going on a bike ride by using an exercise bike. Good luck!

Old 01-01-2007, 04:44 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

keil HB Userkeil HB Userkeil HB Userkeil HB User

Hi All,
Well its 1 year and 5 months since my THR - to answer one of the questions... expect rehab to take one year! I returned to work (office / desk) after 4 months. Now feel really good, but dont over do it, and yes I to still get some minor pain in the butt area - the Doc said its to be expected and may last the rest of my life!
Be board is to be expected, but after a while that will pass, as for riding a bike I would ask my Doc about that, you dont want to fall and dislocate teh new hip.
Ken

Old 01-04-2007, 03:56 PM   #9
(female)

kawai217 HB User
Re: total hip replacement 6 weeks ago, I'm 38 years old

Hi all

Six weeks ago today I had a THR after suffering many, many years with osteoarthritis. I am 38 years old. I have been sitting here reading all these personal stories about hip replacements and I now don't feel so alone! I'm not even sure how to work this site so hopefully someone will reply and let me know I'm doing it right. I see my surgeon for the first time since the op, next week. Basically I've been on my own with regards to my physio. They gave me a pamphlet with some exercises but not much else. That in itself is very scary, not knowing if you should be doing this or moving like that. I still have alot of pain and am sick of taking pain killers. I'm sick of sleeping with a pillow between my legs. I'm sick of being home all day seeing all the cleaning and housework and gardening I could be doing. My husbands been great and put up with alot of tears. But I'm gathering by what I'm reading that recovery is going to take a while.

Old 01-04-2007, 08:26 PM   #10
(male)

KEV43 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkspot
Hello, stumbled upon this site. I'm 5 weeks post op and am doing fairly well. Had my right hip done with the uncemented. Just tired of using the walker but I know I'm still healing. I am having some pain when I sleep, well when I wake up. It's in front in the groin area, like right in the middle. It's not anywhere near the joint. I am wondering what this is. I dont have an appt until the 27th. Any help would be appreciated and I've not read and really dont have the time to read through all the previous threads. Does anyone else have this pain??
Pain in the groin area - particularly mid groin is not good so I would certainly discuss with your doc (which based on the date posted, you have probably already done. I am 43 year old male and 4 weeks post op.....

Old 01-04-2007, 08:29 PM   #11
(male)

KEV43 HB User

Hang in there.......I am at 4 weeks after THR....same as you with regard to "on my own PT" at least until I go back to the doc in 3 weeks......bored and frustrated that my wife is doing EVERYTHING around the house.......good luck and God bless you in your recovery.......

Old 01-05-2007, 03:23 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

kawai217
Your doctor should help you set this up. Your at home with a pamphlet??? Please talk to the doc, you need help and yes the pillow between the legs is a pain but it a help! If you are in pain tell the doc where and how much - they need to "track" that. Recovery takes a long time for many, be assured in about 1 year you will feel better. I know a year is a long time to wait but I am 1 1/2 years since my THR and feel good but still have some minor problems, my wife has been GREAT thru all this (I think it was harder on her, I just had to lay around and get stronger).
I went to PT 2 to 3 times a week and was home from work 4 months. Please take it easy and talk to your doctor. PS I was 55 when I had the THR and live in New York USA
Ken

Last edited by keil; 01-05-2007 at 03:25 PM.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:02 PM   #13
(female)

kawai217 HB User

Thanks so much guys for your words of encouragement and support. It means alot. I don't know what I did last night but after going to the loo and getting up off my lovely raised loo seat I had this really uncomfortable pain in my groin when I walked. Almost like a really bad pulled muscle. It's Saturday here and I don't see my surgeon until Wednesday, first time since the op. Hopefully it is just a strained muscle so I'm going to take it really easy today, although I didn't think I had any real muscle left in my hip! I think the worst part in all of this is the way it wears you down mentally. Being so incapacitated, so reliant, so slow! I have had pain in one form or another constantly with me for the last 6 weeks and it really drags you down. They had to pack my socket with my ground up bone and actually moved my hip out to the right where it should've been normally. This in itself is why I think my recovery has been so slow and so painful. I'm am hedging all my bets on my Wednesday appointment. I just need someone to tell me, yes it's all normal and you're doing well, just to give me a bit of hope because at the moment I feel so sick of it. I know there is light at the end of the tunnel but at the moment that light is a bloody long way off. And Keil do you feel guilty just laying around while your wife does everything? I know I do when my husband is rushing around.

Old 01-06-2007, 08:01 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Yes I felt and still feel guilty my wife has to do everything but I have solwly gotten back to my life - some what - that groin pain is normal I had it, your right the major part of your pain is due to the "moving" the socket and your recovery will take longer than a "normal" THR hang in there - just think I am dancing again with my wife!
keil

Old 01-08-2007, 02:11 AM   #15
(female)

kawai217 HB User
Smile Re: total hip replacement 8 weeks ago - questions for you

Hi

I seem to be worrying myself about all these lifetime restrictions I keep hearing about. Can you really not cross your legs? And no running!!! I just can't believe that! I realise everyone is different but I don't want to go through the rest of my life spending every minute guarding my new hip. I know I'm only 6 weeks post op but I need to know that the day will come where I will feel normal. I love gardening...but how will I garden now with all these bending restrictions? How the heck will I even shave my legs or paint my toenails? As for sex with my husband, will that ever be the same or will I forever worry about my hip the whole way through or will we be left only being able to make love in 1 position? These and many more questions I have about just the every day normal things we all do. If any one can give me any advice or share their stories................

Closed Thread