It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2007, 07:19 AM   #1
(female)

mimirea HB User
Unhappy Struggling after knee arthroscopic surgery, suggestions?

Hi, my husband had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee on December 21st and is in more pain than he was prior to having the surgery. He is now regretting having the surgery done. He had a half inch of maniscus cartilidge removed. He is a pressman (printing press) and is on his feet 8 hours continuously, and he returned to work almost two weeks after the surgery (doctored ok'd).

He had his follow up appointment on January 5th and the doctor seemed to think it was normal for him to have been in such pain at that point, but it is not lessoning at all and seems to be getting worse. He has tried heating pads, ice, various hot/cold rubs, hot baths, keeping it elevated when he is sitting, etc., nothing works or helps at all. He hardly sleeps at night. Is this normal? How long until he has some relief? The doctor did not recommend physical therapy, is this something he should have or should still look into? He has tried in the last week to do light workouts with the leg, thinking it will help, but it's not.

I called the doctor yesterday and am still awaiting a return call on suggestions. I'll probably have to call again. Does anyone have any suggestions, or has anyone had this surgery and had such difficulty?

Thanks very much for any input.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2007, 10:51 AM   #2
(female)

urid HB User
Re: Struggling after knee arthroscopic surgery, suggestions?

I had this same surgery five days ago, and it was pretty painful for a couple of days. Now it is just very sore and has some swelling.
The doctor and nurses made it very clear that after a couple days I was to do exercises, starting with leg lifts. I will go back to the doctor in a couple days to have the stitches removed, and at that time he will let me know if I need to go to rehab or can do this on my own. My understanding is that the exercises need to be done to strengthen the leg muscles which in turn will help the knee to heal. I would certainly check out to see what if any rehab your husband needs.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2007, 11:14 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User

When I had mine done, physical therapy was the BEST thing that I did to speed healing. I started about 4 days after surgery and continued for a total of 6 weeks. My husband did the same when his was done. I can't imagine what it wuld've been like if I hadn't done PT afterwards.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User

sorry, double-posted.

Last edited by dustoffkid; 02-07-2007 at 11:23 AM.

Old 02-13-2007, 11:32 PM   #5
(male)

s'nick HB User

I had meniscus surgery 10 days ago. I have some pain too. You have to regain range of motion now or you could lose it for a long time. You have to strectch the scar tissue. It hurts but thats what you need to do. Ice every day. Elevate it at night. I sleep with a pillow between my legs. The is a great web site out of England. Do a Google search for knee guru. On the left click on rehabilitation. They have exercises for early intermediate and late recovery. Click on early stage, then click on each exercise. They also have a great bulletin board just for knee problems. Check out knee geeks, that what it goes by.

Good luck. Leg lifts every day. Stretch that scar tissue out. Several times a day. Ice, ice,ice.

A lifetime isn't nearly long enough to figure out what it is all about.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:23 PM   #6
(male)

Koot HB User

I had arthroscopic surgery (torn meniscus cartilage I think) on my left knee 18 years ago, which was damaged due to hyperextending my knee. The surgery helped by eliminating my knee from locking-up, but it's never been right since I hurt it. I have never been able to fully extend (straighten) my leg after my surgery even though I had physical therapy and religiously did the exercises I was told to do. Also, I never regained my quadricep muscles that atrophied after I injured my knee and had surgery. My left leg is a full 1/3 smaller in diameter than my right leg. I have consistently had a problem with swelling and pain, which has been with me since I injured it. Needless to say I have not been pleased with the results of my surgery.

I have had my knee checked a few times since my surgery 18 years ago, and most recently I had it checked again a couple of years ago, because I often have a lot of swelling and pain that it's difficult to walk. I was told I had a lot of arthritis in it. In fact I have so much arthritis in my left knee that my left leg is [very] noticeably bowed out (i.e. deformed). I'm told that I am a candidate for a knee replacement, but was told I should wait as long as I can tolerate the pain but not have it alter my lifestyle too much. There are days that it does affect what I'd like to do...so I guess it's getting near time for a whole new knee.

Good luck with yours!

Last edited by Koot; 03-03-2007 at 08:28 PM.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:17 AM   #7
(female)

soccrbreeze2818 HB User

Hello, I had the surgery a couple years ago. I was a very active athlete. I was in ALOT of pain after my surgery. It took months for mine to heal because as soon as i was cleared to be on my feet, I was all the time. My knee still hurts sometimes and i had the surgery done over 5 years ago. I had physical therapy with my knee. I think its strange he did not need physical therapy. The therapy helped me alot with motion and gaining the strength i needed inorder to be very active and on my feet alot. I would ask your doctor about PT or get another recommendation.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:25 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

jerseyboy HB Userjerseyboy HB User

I agree with those who say you need PT. I had my right knee scoped 10 years ago, did not have PT and had pain for years after. I have said time and time again I wish I didn't have the scope, but I did. Now I have TKR. But since I had it scoped I have had on and off problems. I wish your husband well and would recommend exercise and ice, as others have said.
Right TKR 3-31-10
Left TKR 7-7-10

Closed Thread