It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2007, 08:15 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

wonderingtoo HB User
Hip pain when I've crossed my legs, walked or exercised.

Hi,
I've had several health problems in the past over year including IBS and TMJ in both sides of face. I also have hip pain. It has been on both sides in the past, but the left is way worse. Now it's always the left when it hurts.
It hurts when I've sat with one leg crossed over the other, doesn't matter which is crossed over which, it's always the left hip that hurts. When I get up I feel like I'm 90, and I'm only 35. Also, When I walk or jog (not a runner, but I was jogging next to my daughter who is learning to ride without training wheels). Now my hip hurts, also along where my leg connects to my trunk in the front (I guess it's the pelvic area). Also it hurts in my upper hamstring, but mostly it's my hip.

I just was wondering if anyone could know what would cause this problem. My jaw pain is also on my left side, don't know if there is a connection there, but my left shoulder is quite often noticably tensed up, so maybe I'm out of alignment???!! The idea of the chiropractor scares me though!!

Old 03-04-2007, 08:45 PM   #2
(male)

rp_aust HB User
Re: Hip pain when I've crossed my legs, walked or exercised.

I think that it is time to see a doctor and get x-rays of your hips. It is possible that the pain that you are feeling is caused by degeneration of the joint. Often hip pain is referred elsewhere, and felt there. Only an x-ray can tell. If there is degeneration then exercise and PT can help, but really there is no long term solution other than surgery.

If it comes to that (which means going from denial to an attitude of "something has to be done") then you should get an opinion from an experienced hip resurfacing surgeon. If you are young enough to have your daughter on training wheels then you are certainly young enough to get an advantage from hip resurfacing rather than a total hip replacement.

Cheers

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2007, 06:52 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

newfie11 HB User

Sounds like hip arthritis to me. You need to have x-rays to be sure.
Newfie11

Old 03-05-2007, 09:15 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

wonderingtoo HB User

Aren't I too young for arthritis? I'm only 35.
I used to go to the gym for 5 years and do weights and treadmill. I quit 2 years ago, now I can barely walk on my treadmill at home. Could years of lifting weight have hurt my hip?

Also, there is a spot I can press on the side of my hip that really hurts when I press it.

Old 03-06-2007, 04:23 PM   #5
(male)

rp_aust HB User

"I'm too young for arthritis" was what I felt when I started getting pains in my leg (at about age 47). Must be a muscle strain I thought, so when it did not clear up I went to a sports medicine doctor. He ordered x-rays and diagnosed arthritis. I managed this through exercises and painkillers for 5 years, but then went rapidly downhill. Another x-ray showed that there had been marked deterioration in the 6 years and I now had complete loss of cartilage on both hips.

What initiated this? Who knows, but I think that the high impact aerobics that I did in my late 30s early 40s may have had something to do with it.

In your case, get the x-rays, find out and then work out how you deal with it. The first step is to understand what is wrong.

Regards

Old 03-06-2007, 06:00 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

It could be bursitis or tendonitis.

Arthritis is no respector of age, can happen at any age.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:01 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

wonderingtoo HB User

I'm freaking out because of the groin or pelvic area pain. I don't know what you would really call it, but where my leg and trunk attach in the front. It's like I can imagine a huge tumor growing in there causing that pain.

Can that type of pain in that area really be from hip problems?

Old 03-09-2007, 04:10 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

Yes often one of the first signs of significant hip damage is not only hip pain but groin pain. As the others indicated you need to see your doctor and have your hip x-rayed.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:21 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

wonderingtoo HB User

I have an apt. on Monday. Problem is I think I have fibromyalgia because I've made multiple trips to the doctor in past 16 months for stomach and side pain they are calling IBS, and myofascial pain in my face (TMJ). I also have panic disorder, and even though I have it under control, they act like I'm crazy everytime I go in. The first time I went to my doctor 16 months ago with my abdominal and side pain, first question she had was if I was taking the Paxil she gave me. I had to see 3 doctors and have 2 months of constant pain before they even ordered an abdominal u/s.

I have a new doc, but he has my record and knows of all my visits. I thought I'd try him for the pain I'd had for all those months, and all he did was take blood and say I had IBS. They act like I'm crazy. I told him I think there is a connection between my health problems, but have avoided mentioning fibromyalgia.

The point is, I'm afraid that when I go to the doctor for this, he'll think it's just my anxiety again.

But thank's so much for your response. I feel better about this. I'm going Monday and am going to ask for hip x-rays.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:29 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

wonderingtoo HB User

Went to the doctor today and had hip x-rays. He says he thinks it's probably bursitis or a strain, has me taking Advil 2X a day for 2 weeks. Meanwhile we have to wait for the x-ray results to be read, which can take several days. If they are normal and the Advil doesn't work, he's going to send me for PT. If the advil does work, then that's that I guess!

Old 03-13-2007, 06:57 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

wonderingtoo HB User

Hip pain does not cause pain in the ankle or shin does it?

I've noticed my left ankle feels swollen occasionally in the morning when I get up for the last several months. Never paid much attention to it but now that I'm not wearing socks and have on capris (nice weather here), I can see that my ankle, and shin on the left are slightly swollen. They also really hurt today. I'm on my period, so don't know if this is water retention, but I don't know why it would be on that side. This is also the same side as the hip pain. The pain in is my groin and rear, and I know these can be from hip problems, but I don't think the ankle and shin pain could be related.

1 1/2 years ago I broke a toe on that foot, and had to walk on the back side of my foot for several weeks. I've noticed that I do that a lot now, just naturally position my foot that way. Don't know if this is related. But I just went to my doctor today and didn't mention it to him because it wasn't bad this morning, but now it really hurts and I can see the swelling.

I'm freaking out about this.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:51 AM   #12
(female)

marcia in CO HB User

I had a THR on my left side on 11/28/2006. For nearly a year prior to my surgery, I experienced pain from my ankles up to my groin and around to my buttock. Shin pain, knee pain, thigh pain ... you name it! I was sure that something else needed to be done other than a THR, but my OS kept telling me that this was all referred pain from my hip as well as pain resulting from walking incorrectly for months (due to the pain). Well, I'm happy to say that he was absolutely right! My left side is completely pain free from my hip all the way down to my ankles. It's pretty amazing to me that one bad hip can cause so much pain, and in areas that you wouldn't expect it to, but that was definitely the case for me. Hopefully this helps!

Old 03-13-2007, 10:13 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

wonderingtoo HB User

Thanks Marcia, did you have swelling in your ankles from walking wrong? I'm wondering if all my pain in that leg comes from walking wrong since I broke my toe in 2005. My toe was broken so badly it was sideways in my foot. I walked weird on that foot for a long time and still notice I stand and walk weird sometimes on that foot, like out of habit.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:01 AM   #14
(female)

marcia in CO HB User

No, I never had any swelling. But I had tons of pain when sleeping, especially in my knee and thigh.

Closed Thread