It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2007, 06:46 PM   #1
(female)

mickey1988 HB User
Question Youngest age for knee replacements

I was wondering if anyone knew what the youngest age was for total knee replacements. I am not healthy enough for a cartilage transplant because I do not have enough cartilage for them to take out some to grow. I tried the shots and those didnt work. I have an appointment with my doctor on Monday to talk about the surgeries he wants to do but i was wondering how young a person can be to get a knee replacement because I will have bad knees for the rest of my life so I might as well get new ones since these ones are getting worse daily.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:47 PM   #2
(female)

bamalady55 HB User
Re: Youngest age for knee replacements

Hi, I just had mine on the 5th of March...am 51yrs...lol....I wanted some quality of life!!!!
Good Luck
Ruthann

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2007, 03:51 PM   #3
(female)

California Ann HB User

I was 40 when I had bilateral total knee replacements. The right one lasted years before I started having trouble again. I had to have the pad replaced a couple of years ago then ended up having a total knee revision 6/06. Come to find out the joint was not aligned properly (the first time) and that was why I wore a hole in the pad. It is much better now.

Good luck,

Ann

Old 04-02-2007, 01:05 PM   #4
(female)

Sharmy HB User

I am 38 and an scheduling my first knee replacement. I have had Rheumatoid Arthritis for 20 years and my knees are badly deteriorated so I desparately need knee replacement surgery.

Old 04-06-2007, 02:33 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Dawnrise HB User

I am 49 and am having knee replacement surgery in June. I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis when I was 24. It's gotten so bad that the top part of my lower leg bone is damaged as well. I have no cartilage, so it's bone against bone. I know the doctors like to put this surgery off for as long as possible but my rheumy told me I really needed to get it taken care of before it was too late. And I have been in so much pain. Plus it's very difficult for me to get around. Besides, I want to be able to enjoy life while I'm still young.

Old 04-12-2007, 04:50 PM   #6
(female)

NewsHound HB User

I had mine 4-2-2007 at the ripe old age of 34. I get my stiches out tuesday!!!!

Jennifer

Old 04-24-2007, 09:44 PM   #7
(female)

livingwithagony HB User

I had mine 4 weeks ago yesterday and it was the WORST DECISION I HAVE EVER MADE IN MY ENTIRE LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM 37 YEARS OLD AND I WISH I WAS DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I HAVENT HAD ONE NIGHT OF RELIEF SINCE AND NOW I HAVE NERVE DAMAGE AND HAVE TO GO TO ANOTHER DOCTOR.........................ROUND AND ROUND WE GO WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEE

DONT DO IT EVER!

Old 05-20-2008, 12:15 PM   #8
(female)

sinkorswim HB User

Im 17 and I need a knee replacement.
I had ACL reconstructive surgery and it got infected, so now I have a knee that doesn't work. Not only does it hurt every single day of my life, but I can only bend my left knee 100 degrees on a good day. Im 17 and sports were my life, now I can't run. Or even walk without pain. I need a knee replacement, but no one will do it for me because Im too young. I've seen some of the top surgeons in Calgary, possibly even Canada, and no one knows what to do. But Im still thankful I can walk. I have never damage too, I can't feel part of my shin. I have had six knee surgeries in less than a year, and thats only the beginning.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:02 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I'm so sorry you are dealing with such serious joint problems.

You know that even a replacement will not have you running again. Running a few steps, sure. But high-impact activities such as running and jumping shorten the lifespan of a replacement joint, so you'd probably have to stick to low-impact things like walking, swimming, and biking. Still, most people who've had knee replacements walk well and with little to no pain.

Sometimes replacements are done in young adults, but only if there is clearly no other choice. The joint is unlikely to last more than 20 years, and it can be repaired, but only so many times. Of course, if you're not functioning now, 20 years down the line doesn't matter so much. Even so, I've never heard of doing joint replacement in a teen.

What exactly is wrong with your knee? Did they have to remove tissue to deal with the infection?

Old 05-20-2008, 03:08 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

After doing some reading, they do sometimes perform knee replacements in teens who've had part of the joint removed due to cancer. So, yes, it is possible to have replacement.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:53 PM   #11
(female)

painfree4me HB User

Hi, I had my left knee replaced two years ago when I was 35 due to severe osteo arthritis (was born with it). I also had bilateral hip replacements when I was 27 years old. It was a very long recovery but I am glad that I went all these surgeries.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:05 AM   #12
(female)

slkanger HB User

Mickey1988, I see your in Bellevue, NE. Contact Dr. Boese at Miller Orthopaedic in Council Bluffs. He's one fantastic doctor and has help develop the new rotating knee. I had him do my knee in Nov. 06 at age 54. I've had fantastic results and I'm very pleased. I'm ready to contact him about having my other knee done now. Sorry I didn't do it earlier. I put up with so much pain for several years before I got tired of the shots that evidentally stopped working. I told him I wouldn't wait so long next time.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:00 AM   #13
(male)

xander23 HB User

Hi im getting a knee replacement next week!!
im 20 years old!!

Old 08-27-2008, 12:43 PM   #14
(female)

bubbles100278 HB User

I am 30 and I have had chronic dislocations since I was 7. I have had 5 knee surgeries including a bilateral (both knees at the same times) reconstruction. I am looking at another surgery and every doc I go to refuses to do Replacements because I am too young. My thought is that I want to live my life now, not when I am 50 or 60! How do I convince a doctor?

Old 08-27-2008, 03:32 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi, Bubbles.

Joint replacements are amazing things, however, they aren't a miracle cure. What is your current ability level? How much pain are you in?

Closed Thread