It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2007, 04:35 PM   #1
(female)

silver515 HB User
Question squeaky hip replacement

I was wondering if anyone else has this problem...so weird. Recently whenever I walked up the steps I heard a squeaking...thought it was the steps. My husand never heard it. Then I would hear it at random places sometimes...was thinking it was my shoes, sneakers, etc. THe other night, for no reason I started thinking maybe it was my hip, but didn't really think so. I called my PT daughter and told her not to laugh at me and she said it could very well be my hip. I searched (squeaky hip replacement) and found there are message boards with a number of people discussing this issue. I felt so much better, was beginning to think I was going crazy. It has been 2 yrs 3 months since my thr and I have been very happy with it, this being the first time to question anything about it. Some people on the board were saying that it gets louder with time. They said the dr said will go away. People have gotten x-rayed and checked out and everything ok . I called my orthopedist today...they said they have heard of this, not very common. It was mostly the Stryker hip ..ceramic..It is weird..does not hurt , but I am hoping does not get louder....

Does anyone else have this "squeaking"??????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2007, 11:58 AM   #2
(female)

silver515 HB User
Re: squeaky hip replacement

hi...well I talked to my orthopedist yesterday...it seems he has done l00 of the hip replacements that I have. They have heard of 3 people complaining about the squeak. He no longer uses this hip...he now uses a plastic lining so there will be no squeak. Of course there could be alot more to this...they have it on record now, so I guess I will see how it goes. There is no pain, but I am afraid of it getting louder. They told me if you keep good muscle tone it might go away. I am in good physical condition...I exercise, do yoga,weight machines, and cardio regularly, so this is not an issue with me...I would love to hear if anyone out this has this problem...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2007, 02:43 PM   #3
(male)

williedn459 HB User

Guess I'm not the only one that has noticed a squeaking..did a ****** search and found this forum. I am 51 yrs. old and have had both hips replaced due to Osteonecrosis. Left hip was done Nov. 2004 and the right was March 2005. Have recently noticed/heard that so-called squeaking noise, almost like a low pitch whistle - like when you suck the air in. Especially whenever I straighten up after bending over. Walking, climbing stairs are o'k, no noise at all and no pain at all. Has no affect my everyday life at all, still able to do everything. Just strange that I began to hear this noise and wondered about it which brought me to this site and forum. Thanks, Willie - Austin, TX

Old 04-27-2007, 11:30 AM   #4
(male)

billgad HB User

I Had a uip resurfacing, and started to hear these noises , like you close the gate without oil on the hinges. I have been worried the Dr say we should xray , if its get worst. His employee have mentioned it , that I am not the first one and do not worry it comes and goes, ahe gets all the calls so she would know it. This is Birmingham hip resurfacing. So you are definetly not on your own.
Billgad

Old 05-01-2007, 02:39 PM   #5
(female)

lisa002 HB User

I`m 39 and I have my right hip done on feb 2006, so far so good, no sound or pain at all but now my left hip is in pain doctor said is not collapse yet, maybe a decompression on the hip will help me with the pain and daley the hip to collapse.
How is it to have both hip replace?
are the legs same lenght? or is one shorter than other?
I still have a limp and because of the pain on the good hip now I went back to the cane.

Last edited by lisa002; 05-14-2007 at 12:54 PM.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:27 PM   #6
(male)

SeaBear429 HB User

I also thought I was hearing things. I had my left hip with a total replacement in 10/2005 age 49 due to Osteoarthritis. Surgery went very well. I have no pain from my left hip. I saw the Dr. each year for follow-ups. Then in early 2007 for a squeaking noise as I sat or rose from a sitting position. He said it was very unusual but has heard of this occuring. I had the Stryker "Ceramic" hip replacement. Follow-ups xrays show no damage.

Here it is Dec. 2007 and now the squeaking has increased as I walk with each step. I do hope it goes away. If not I can live with the squeaking. It's better then having the "BONE ON BONE PAIN". I do wish I can just "oil it" though. LOL, LOL.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:54 PM   #7
(female)

silver515 HB User

I just went for my 3 year check up..all is well. I went to a new dr, since my dr that did the surgury is no longer on my insurance plan. I told him everything was fine, except for the squeaking. He said he has read about it and seen it in videos, but never acutally heard it. So I did these leg lifts that always causes the squeak..and guess what...there was no squeak. After I thought about it, I really do think it may have gone away...at least for now. I certainly do hope that is that case. You are right, there is no pain so a squeak is ok to live with.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:23 PM   #8
(female)

balleteach HB User

Hi Silver!! Wow, it's been so long since I've checked the boards. I decided to come on board tonight and I saw your name. I just had to post to say "Hi" and update about my hip. It sounds like you are doing great. It's hard to believe that three years have passed. I had my 12 Yr check-up last July and the x-rays looked super. The Dr. said that I only need to come in every other year. There is some wearing of THR, but not much, considering how active I have been through the years. I feel so lucky to have had such a positive result. I hope you see this post. Maybe some of the old timers will check in with updates. After all, we did start it all and I'm sure the info on THR has helped many newbies along the way. Talk to you later...balleteach

Old 01-23-2009, 09:44 PM   #9
(female)

walddorf HB User

This is to reply to Lisa -
I have suddenly noticed this squeaking noise. After being in three different rooms and passing it off as something else, I discovered the squeaking was coming from my total right hip replacement done in March 2004. This is now January 2009. Yes it freaked me out; I called and have an appointment next week to see my surgeon at Univ. Hosp. in Cleveland. It is a ceramic and I believe titanium and I think it is a Stryker (I will verify this information next week). Different co-workers and relatives have also heard it. It is mostly when I bend over, squat, put on my pants, socks, etc. So this evening I just decided to look online for anything about squeaky hips and was startled to see several websites with people complaining about this squeaking from their hip replacements. I will see what the doc says next week. It was relatively easy surgery and other than incisional pain, it was bearable after the bone on bone pain I had suffered with for more than two years. I was 52 when I had surgery, very active tall thin female who mows grass, gardens, walks, etc. and was barely able to walk when I finally gave up and had the surgery. It has been a great 5 years so far, but this noise is unnerving to say the least. Easy or not, I can not miss 2 months of work and go through another surgery.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:50 PM   #10
(male)

Ross1948 HB User

Well I came here looking for a thread on squeaky Birmingham hips and found this; just what the doctor ordered, so to speak.

I too have a squeaky hip. I had my Birmingham procedure just two years ago tomorrow, and it started squeaking a few months back. It's intermittent and I've contacted the orthopedic surgeon and he wants to take xrays and check it out. He didnt say that it's normal, common, unusual or any other comment, but surely he's heard of it??

There's no pain so I'm not too concerned but I will get it looked at when I get back from overseas in a couple of months.

Last edited by Ross1948; 01-24-2009 at 11:00 PM.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:54 AM   #11
(female)

Caz88 HB User

Hi to everyone who has a squeaky hip replacement. I had my operation 5years ago and it started to squeak about 12months ago. It got very loud and was a great party trick as I called it. It was ceramic ball on ceramic lining. I couldnt stand it any longer so I went and had it re-done. I am recovering at the moment. Have been on crutches for 4 weeks so far and another 2 weeks to go. All went well with the operation. Surgeon replaced the ceramic ball with a metal one and the ceramic lining was replaced with plastic. I am glad I got it fixed. It wasnt as bad as the first time I had it done, and the recovery is coming along a lot quicker than before. Good luck to anyone who deceides to go and get it fixed.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:02 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

And knees can clunk very loudly and you can even make them do it when you want to scare people! My ortho offered to teach me how to do it if I worked really hard at PT.

Squeaky hips and clunky knees.......the $6,000,000 body is quickly becoming real!

Jenny

Old 08-15-2009, 08:03 AM   #13
(male)

Simon001 HB User
Sorry this is not about hips

Dear Lisa002,

I read your other post about your sons concave chest. Did he get a brace in Brazil? I too suffer from it and was wondering if you could give me with ANY information on places where they do surgery for this? or braces? I would be greatful for ANY information.

Last edited by Simon001; 08-15-2009 at 08:05 AM.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:30 PM   #14
(female)

new hips HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver515 View Post
I was wondering if anyone else has this problem...so weird. Recently whenever I walked up the steps I heard a squeaking...thought it was the steps. My husand never heard it. Then I would hear it at random places sometimes...was thinking it was my shoes, sneakers, etc. THe other night, for no reason I started thinking maybe it was my hip, but didn't really think so. I called my PT daughter and told her not to laugh at me and she said it could very well be my hip. I searched (squeaky hip replacement) and found there are message boards with a number of people discussing this issue. I felt so much better, was beginning to think I was going crazy. It has been 2 yrs 3 months since my thr and I have been very happy with it, this being the first time to question anything about it. Some people on the board were saying that it gets louder with time. They said the dr said will go away. People have gotten x-rayed and checked out and everything ok . I called my orthopedist today...they said they have heard of this, not very common. It was mostly the Stryker hip ..ceramic..It is weird..does not hurt , but I am hoping does not get louder....

Does anyone else have this "squeaking"??????

Old 02-16-2010, 07:34 PM   #15
(female)

new hips HB User
Wink Re: squeaky hip replacement

I had both hips replaced in 2004 at the end of the year, done 6 weeks apart. I am so grateful for no more pain but have had off and on squeaking since then and currently, I have been squeaking for several weeks and it is very bothersome to me and amusement to people that I work with, it seems louder recently and it's only on one side. I do know that my hips are ceramic and once called the orphapedic surgeon who said oh that happens and its nothing to worry about, it will go away. What can we do?

Closed Thread