It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2007, 12:39 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ktee_uk HB User
knee probs with blood disorder

Hi

I am 42y/old female who is a symptomatic carrier of haemophilia. I suffer from severe bruising and have to take DDAVP occassionally and prior to surgeries.

For the last 2 or 3 years my knees have been getting steadily more painfull. I understand that people with bleeding disorders can have joint problems and I would like to hear anybody's experiences with this as I am now at the stage where pain killers are not easing the pain anymore. My general doctor doesn't seem that sympathetic and doesnt seem to relate it to the blood disorder.

many thanks
ktee

Old 06-13-2007, 12:52 AM   #2
(female)

were2alike HB User
Lightbulb Re: knee probs with blood disorder

HEY I ALMOST CAN RELATE! but I only have the sickle cell trait and i am 40 years old and now my hip and leg and knees bother me. as a kid i was anemic and my blood platelets was always low and cuts would not heel so Doctors would not operate when I needed my tonsils out and I had a cyst on my ovary after having my second child there again doctors would not operate . I had my tonsilectomy in 2003 and I had my hysterectomy in 2001 .because my blood count was better and I knew how to keep my wounds from infection . thats the most propblem with blood disorders bleeding and infections keep doctors from doing surgery .

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2007, 09:16 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ktee_uk HB User
Re: knee probs with blood disorder

hi were2

The docs here in UK dont seem to mind operating on me (had wisdom teeth out, hysterectomy various other stuff done) but they do seem to forget about the blood thing until last minute then its panic stations to get checking my clotting levels and sorting out the DDAVP.

My GP is seriously useless unless I go to him armed with info so Im trying to get myself better educated about how blood clotting disorders affect joints. So if anyone out there can share any info i will be v.gratefull.

many thanks
ktee

Old 06-14-2007, 05:33 PM   #4
(female)

were2alike HB User

I know that blood and bone marrow plays a major part with joints an bones an when a person has a blood disorder then oxygen deletes proper cells an blood to joints an bone marrow to keep bones from proper nourishments.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:40 PM   #5
(female)

Minney62 HB User

Hello,

I am 45/female with Lupus. The pain in my joints has definitely gotten worse over the years, especially in the cold months. My knees aren't usually that bad, but I get really bad arthritis in my fingers and soreness in my hips. I'm on blood thinners and last year switched from coumadin to lovenox. I've always had really bad bruising from these, especially since I've been on the lovenox. Just recently my daughter turned me onto this fruit juice she's been taking. It sounds a little ridiculous but it's actually made the bruises from the lovenox shots shrink considerably. And I've only just started taking the juice. She says it also has something in it to help joints and joint pain. I guess the real test will be this winter and whether or not I notice that my fingers and hips don't hurt in the mornings.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:12 PM   #6
(female)

ldjones2005 HB User

Hi Ktee,

I am sorry to hear the pain you have been going through with yours knees and if i am completely out of order to ask you this then please let me know.

I am currently studing on an access to nursing course at college with the hope of continuing on to university in september and to complete my course i must do a project on a health topic. The topic i have chosen to do is haemophilia and given that you are a carrier i was hoping i could maybe ask you just a few questions.

I understand how rare the condition and i would really appreciate it if i could have some of your time to ask you a few questions. I hope you do not find this inappropriate of me to ask.

Thanks very much
Lisa

Closed Thread