It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2007, 07:31 AM   #1
(female)

aliciarenaclark HB User
Billateral Knee surgery Artroscopy

completed surgery on July 19, 2007, my days and nights are long and painfull. I can't do many functions such as cleaning, cooking or just playing soccer with my 11 year old. I had no idea the pain would be is great. Im concerned any \one out htere knows how long I can expect to be off work? When Can I resume t normal acvities?

Old 07-26-2007, 09:14 AM   #2
(female)

ltrantham HB User
Re: Billateral Knee surgery Artroscopy

I had arthroscopic surgery done on July 2, 2007. Really needed a knee replacement but could not take off work 6 weeks. My problems were a torn meniscus and no gap left between my two bones so they are literally sitting/rubbing on top of each other. I also had some ACL injury left over back from my college days Ė 20 years ago.

I thought that within a few days I would be walking and within one week, back to work. Well, it did not work at that way. Immedialy after the surgery, I had tremendous pain. Two weeks passed and still using both crutches. I had to miss two weeks of work and actually could have stayed home one more week. Today is July 26th and still using one crutch and taking mild pain pills everyday. I have quite a bit of swelling that I donít understand because I sit at a desk all day. The main problems I have are driving. Obviously it is my right knee. I am starting to get very discouraged. I have been back to the doctor two times and he feels there is nothing wrong. Well 4 weeks have passed and I am still in a lot of pain and not walking without assistance. To me, something is not right. Has anyone else experienced this long recover period from having arthroscopic surgery on your knee?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2007, 09:52 PM   #3
(female)

rssgnl27 HB User

I've had arthroscopic knee surgery on both knees, and it worked out very well. However, my knee was swollen for at LEAST 4 weeks after my surgery. I know they fill your knee is fluid during the procedure, and it may take that long for you (mayber longer because I'm only 19, you may be older) to get the swelling to go down. It was painful for only a few days on my first operation, but my second it was painful for quite a time longer. I believe that it depends on how much work they actually do while youre on the operating table. I believe that what youre experiencing is normal, it is painful even when you are sitting. It took me 3 weeks to get back to work when I had my right knee done!

Good luck to you! I know it worked wonders for me!

PS- it seems like you had a little more done to your knee than I did, which may account for the longer amount of time you were in pain for.

Last edited by rssgnl27; 07-26-2007 at 09:54 PM.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:31 AM   #4
(female)

ltrantham HB User

[thanks for the reply. Good to know that you also was off work 3 weeks. I am going to give it one more week. Next week will be a month. Today I am walking on one crutch but it still gives me pain. Especially if I do any type of physical activities like cleaning my house. I may need to find another doctor. Not too thrilled about having to do another surgery to see what is going on.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:17 PM   #5
(female)

rssgnl27 HB User

yeah I think you'll be fine, but go to your doctor and make sure its normal to be in pain this long. I had mine done May 23, 2007 and I've been walking/jogging painlessly for about a month now. But like I said it depends on how much they did to you.

Old 08-05-2007, 09:59 PM   #6
(female)

roses4evver HB User

Hello,
So, by reading your post this Thurs will be 4 wks post op, correct? I don't think there is anything wrong except two things. 1) you have a worn out knee &..... 2) your Dr did a lot of work on your knee during your scope.

I had 2 scopes done on my lt knee before having my TKR 6/19/07. The first time I had a miniscus tear & my knee needed cleaned up inside from arthritis. I was off work 6 wks & was on crutches the first 3 wks. I walk all day long in my full time job & had to come back with no restrictions. The second scope was 8 months later by another orthopedic Dr & I was off work 8 wks, on crutches 1 wk. This time he said he had a whole lot of work cleaning up all the arthritis. Telling me there was no part of my knee that was not totally damaged by the arthritis.

It is very true....the swelling, the pain, the lack of mobility, and the time needed off from work all depends on how much work the surgeon does in surgery. I know it's hard waiting it out, but you are fortunate that you can return to work in the condition your in & get a full pay check. I'm off work at least 3 months with 60 % pay....and I'm sinking FAST, but I had no choice in the matter. I'm not ready to roll over & play dead at 46 yet....although after this some days I feel like it...LOL

Be patient, it will all come together for you

*~* "Cherish every moment you share with your love, drink life every second you can, love like there will be no tomorrow!" *~*

Old 03-25-2010, 11:21 AM   #7
(female)

slgockley HB User

Hello,
I had bilateral TKR in Dec. of 2007.I went back to work exactly 3 months to the day.I worked 40 days & couldn't do it any more.I was working 12 hours a day some days & on my feet most of the time.After 40 days I went on full disability.I can walk good with no pain just not 12 hours a day.It was a rough recovery,but worth it/.

Closed Thread