It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2007, 10:11 PM   #1
(female)

suedonny HB User
Thumbs up Need a Hip Replacement

I need a hip replacement, what to expect am 65 and will the pain go away...Im making an appt to do this Wednesday.will the muscle tone come back once the joint is fixed

Old 07-30-2007, 08:28 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Tobias HB User
Re: Need a Hip Replacement

I had both of my hips replaced in my late 50s.
I was pleasantly surprised that the arthritis pain was gone immediately, to be replaced by the pain of an incision. Incision pain went away gradually and can be managed with pain meds.
Physical therapy exercises help you regain muscle tone. I had outpatient PT 2-3 times a week for about 5 weeks. Muscle tone and strength can improve up to a year following the surgery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2007, 04:54 AM   #3
(female)

suedonny HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
I had both of my hips replaced in my late 50s.
I was pleasantly surprised that the arthritis pain was gone immediately, to be replaced by the pain of an incision. Incision pain went away gradually and can be managed with pain meds.
Physical therapy exercises help you regain muscle tone. I had outpatient PT 2-3 times a week for about 5 weeks. Muscle tone and strength can improve up to a year following the surgery.

Old 07-31-2007, 05:09 AM   #4
(female)

suedonny HB User

Did you have lower back pain with this I need both done also..Did you have both done at same time..Thank you
you have been a blessing

Old 07-31-2007, 06:28 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Tobias HB User

I had my hips replaced in separate surgeries several months apart.
The requirement that I sleep on my back for a few weeks post-op did cause some lower back discomfort. I am not a back-sleeper and was relieved when lying on my side was again possible.

Old 02-03-2008, 06:20 PM   #6
(female)

suedonny HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
I had my hips replaced in separate surgeries several months apart.
The requirement that I sleep on my back for a few weeks post-op did cause some lower back discomfort. I am not a back-sleeper and was relieved when lying on my side was again possible.
Had the second one now trying to get off pain meds still have pain, second one five weeks agao PAIN.Hurts some of the time.Did you have that,,back is ok this time I had hematoma after too, and four units of blood.

Old 02-03-2008, 06:46 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

My husband was using a cane and was ready for a wheelchair when he had his first set of hips 16 years ago. He was playing golf 6 months later.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:49 AM   #8
(female)

suedonny HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel52 View Post
My husband was using a cane and was ready for a wheelchair when he had his first set of hips 16 years ago. He was playing golf 6 months later.
How old was he and does it take that long to recover Ive had two done within three months, and did he and was he able to manage pain..thank you for responding

Old 02-06-2008, 08:23 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedonny View Post
How old was he and does it take that long to recover Ive had two done within three months, and did he and was he able to manage pain..thank you for responding
I think he was 41? He was on crutches for 8 weeks. He was on morphine in the hospital, demoral made him itch. He went off that the second day and switched to tylonal. Once he was home he would take vocodan when the pain got bad but really tried to avoid the drugs. I bought him those elastic waist lounging pants and t-shirts with a pocket so he could put items in there to move around with since he was on crutches. It took him 6 months because he had both hips done within a short time of each other. I think he was worried about swinging too much. I think it was his choice to wait.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:28 AM   #10
(female)

suedonny HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel52 View Post
I think he was 41? He was on crutches for 8 weeks. He was on morphine in the hospital, demoral made him itch. He went off that the second day and switched to tylonal. Once he was home he would take vocodan when the pain got bad but really tried to avoid the drugs. I bought him those elastic waist lounging pants and t-shirts with a pocket so he could put items in there to move around with since he was on crutches. It took him 6 months because he had both hips done within a short time of each other. I think he was worried about swinging too much. I think it was his choice to wait.
same as me two done a few months apart is hard on a body
Im still taking two vicodin a day at six weeks spread apart some days it hurts but the surgical hip wors,,its surgical pain...

Closed Thread