It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2007, 05:24 PM   #1
(male)

HopeAlight HB User
Sharp pain in knees after run & chronic joint pain?

23yo male, 145pds, 6ft

I went running last Sunday night (08-11), hadn't been running for about a year, during the last of my run I was getting some knee pain, I ran through it. Since then my knees (both) have been tense, day and night, inflamed with a sharp stabbing pain just below the knee cap and also on the insides (right side of my left knee, left side of my right knee). It's present so long as my knees are bending as they walk, laying still they don't produce it but remain somewhat throbbing, a dull pain, until I extend/contract my leg again. I have some history of knee problems:

1. In February '06 my right knee buckled doing leg extensions, I had been lifting for a couple months, the leg dropped unexpectedly on my first set, I couldn't lift just the bar with it, in the next weeks I began running lighter and eventually stopped running to go on a bike, some weeks after that I stopped biking as my knees were giving me a discomfort; a sharp pain, dissimilar to what I have now however. I haven't lifted, ran, or biked since June '06

2. In June '07 my right knee began having a sharp, stabbing pain after sitting for sometime (1+ hrs), only when I moved/shifted my leg while seated. That is after sitting for awhile I would reposition my knee and upon doing so I'd be greeted with a sharp pain the same as I'm having now, once my leg was steady and unmoving the pain would dissipate. It would go away eventually however after sometime (that moving the knee would produce pain, as I walked away from my desk for the day it would slowly go away), and didn't continue throughout the day while walking as it has for the past week.

3. Squatting down/kneeling has been difficult or left me in discomfort for some months, at least a year.

4. All the above mentioned began in my right knee, but does seem to trickle over to my left shortly after. The pain also seems to begin in my right knee (say while I was still biking; it would start on the right side and some minutes later the left with be in pain) and is more strong or prevalent in my right knee.

I have visited my urgent care clinic and have a follow-up with my primary, wanted to hear from you guys however. The urgent care doc had some things to note:

1. Vitals were good (blood pressure, temp, etc).
2. Ruled out arthritis as I'm too young (23yo male) quoting "it's nearly impossible."
3. P.F.S. (Patellofemoral Syndrome) is a possibility, would require x-rays to investigate.
4. I may need to wear knee braces and cut any physical activity involving my knees.

I have had chronic joint pain for some years roughly starting late '03, though I've been through physical therapy to no avail with no clear diagnosis; pain extends from my wrists, knees and ankles.

Anyone experienced something like this? What could it mean or be caused by? Any advice or things I should be aware of or read up on?

Appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2007, 09:25 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Tobias HB User
Re: Sharp pain in knees after run & chronic joint pain?

While you may be too young for osteoarthritis (it's not unheard of in someone your age, but it is rare), there are other kinds of arthritic diseases (there are 100 types of arthritis!) that may be possibilities.
Your urgent care doc's advice to begin a follow-up with your primary care doc is the best advice you'll probably receive. To that I'll add that maybe, just maybe you should suspend the running until you find out what is wrong, and maybe reduce the chance that you'll mess things up further with that kind of activity. Your report of "chronic joint pain" that has lasted years would seem to be a "heads up" for the doctor to delve deeper into what exactly is going on with your joints. Once the nature of your condition is determined, one would expect that some form of physical therapy might part of your treatment.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:18 AM   #3
(female)

uglynow HB User

Hi there,
I've had knee issues myself after running. I have PFS from overtraining last year (running too much too quickly) it's pretty much the pain you describe so I'm thinking that's what may be your problem.
This thing takes FOREVER to fully heal as it's a cartilage depletion issue and cartilage can take even years to fully replenish itself, especially if you don't take care of it and take it easy on activies that worsens it.
Your best bet is to go to a sports/orthopaedic doctor and get an MRI or XRay.
forget these family docs or the urgent care, they don't know crap and will have you in limbo forever.
At least with a specialized doc you'll be on your way to recovery with either physical therapy or whatever else they find will help you heal.

Good luck!
PS - I was doing just fine, even when running and all of a sudden yesterday I went on a run and my knees started hurting again and got swollen. I'm super frustrated as I've been okay so I don't know why this would flare up out of nowhere!!

Old 08-24-2007, 10:59 PM   #4
(female)

roses4evver HB User

I've had problems with arthritis since I was 18-20 starting in my hands (I am now 46 F). I was a floral designer at 18 after I graduated * worked almost full time. It didn't take but about a year & I knew from the pain in my joints of my hands I couldn't continue that career. That's when I was diagnosed with Osteoarthritis. Yes, it highly runs in th family on the female side.

I've been saying with all the years I've been in so much pain that I'm too young for this. Well after 12 yrs of taking pills & still in pain I just had a total knee replacement due to severe osteoarthritis. The other was is also real bad but it somehow has to wait & I'.m laying it in God's hands.

I also would avoid the family Dr's for lack of knowledge. Try & get ansers from an orthopedic Dr. If you get no where...then

See the best Rheumatologist in your area and be tested for auto immune
diseases. Certain forms of arthritis fit into this catagory. Just things for you to yty...good luck!

*~* "Cherish every moment you share with your love, drink life every second you can, love like there will be no tomorrow!" *~*

Closed Thread