Sharp pain in knees after run & chronic joint pain?
23yo male, 145pds, 6ft
I went running last Sunday night (08-11), hadn't been running for about a year, during the last of my run I was getting some knee pain, I ran through it. Since then my knees (both) have been tense, day and night, inflamed with a sharp stabbing pain just below the knee cap and also on the insides (right side of my left knee, left side of my right knee). It's present so long as my knees are bending as they walk, laying still they don't produce it but remain somewhat throbbing, a dull pain, until I extend/contract my leg again. I have some history of knee problems:
1. In February '06 my right knee buckled doing leg extensions, I had been lifting for a couple months, the leg dropped unexpectedly on my first set, I couldn't lift just the bar with it, in the next weeks I began running lighter and eventually stopped running to go on a bike, some weeks after that I stopped biking as my knees were giving me a discomfort; a sharp pain, dissimilar to what I have now however. I haven't lifted, ran, or biked since June '06
2. In June '07 my right knee began having a sharp, stabbing pain after sitting for sometime (1+ hrs), only when I moved/shifted my leg while seated. That is after sitting for awhile I would reposition my knee and upon doing so I'd be greeted with a sharp pain the same as I'm having now, once my leg was steady and unmoving the pain would dissipate. It would go away eventually however after sometime (that moving the knee would produce pain, as I walked away from my desk for the day it would slowly go away), and didn't continue throughout the day while walking as it has for the past week.
3. Squatting down/kneeling has been difficult or left me in discomfort for some months, at least a year.
4. All the above mentioned began in my right knee, but does seem to trickle over to my left shortly after. The pain also seems to begin in my right knee (say while I was still biking; it would start on the right side and some minutes later the left with be in pain) and is more strong or prevalent in my right knee.
I have visited my urgent care clinic and have a follow-up with my primary, wanted to hear from you guys however. The urgent care doc had some things to note:
1. Vitals were good (blood pressure, temp, etc).
2. Ruled out arthritis as I'm too young (23yo male) quoting "it's nearly impossible."
3. P.F.S. (Patellofemoral Syndrome) is a possibility, would require x-rays to investigate.
4. I may need to wear knee braces and cut any physical activity involving my knees.
I have had chronic joint pain for some years roughly starting late '03, though I've been through physical therapy to no avail with no clear diagnosis; pain extends from my wrists, knees and ankles.
Anyone experienced something like this? What could it mean or be caused by? Any advice or things I should be aware of or read up on?