It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2007, 07:50 PM   #1
(male)

dg456 HB User
Torn Meniscus Recovery

I just went in for ACL surgery and my surgeon found that I had a torn meniscus as well. He said it was a clean tear and was easy to stitch. Does anyone know how this will impact my recovery? Originally I was told it would take 6 months of rehab to get back to sports, and one year to full recovery. Will this time frame be extended due to the meniscus repair? Has anyone had both issues repaired in the same procedure?

Old 10-05-2007, 06:44 PM   #2
(female)

khomagic1 HB User
Re: Torn Meniscus Recovery

my sister totally wrecked her knee in 1992 or 93 playing Volleyball on a day of in Japan where she was serving and LDS church mission. She was sent back to the US for medical care and had torn her ACL, PCL and badly tore her meniscus. Watching her go through rehab after the surgery was awful and it took her a good year to get better. Now days she runs, rides a bike and does pretty much anything she wants and she says it doesn't bother her except to look at the ugly scar.

In 2003 I fell going down some stairs at my house I tore my ACL and meniscus. The ACL has not been a problem for me and I did not want to go through that kind of a surgery but the meniscal tear really hurt and it made grinding noised when I went up or down the stairs. (gross!!) I had surgery on Christmas eve in 2003 for the meniscus and told him to leave the ACL alone. I was in a bandage and on crutches for about 10 days went to the Dr. for my post op appointment had the bandage taken off and the nurse told me that my knee was stiff and they wanted to send me to PT. I asked her if I could ride my horse and she said yes so I would go ride the horse in a posting trott for about 15 minuets a day everyday for about a month and I've been fine since. I was shown pictures of the inside of my knee when I went to the post op and I had a LOT of arthritis for a 35 year old. He told me that it wasn't a matter of if I would have to have TKR surgery but when. So in some ways I'm really glad I didn't have the ACL repaired it would have taken longer to recover and I'll still have to have major surgery on that same knee at some point in the next 10 years or so.

So in conclusion, it took be about 2 weeks post op from the meniscus surgery to be as normal as I'm going to be for a while, and it took my sister about a year but that is because (I'm told) that the ACL surgery is a lot harder and takes longer to heal from than the other.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread