It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2007, 04:21 PM   #1
(male)

logger HB User
Question Constant knee joint pain

Greetings everyone,

Three months ago I started to have swollen knee joints, wrist joints and finger joints which my Rheumatologist diagnosed (after a series of tests) as a form of Reactive Arthritus and I took NAPROXEN and NAPROSYN for a month. The swelling seems to be 90 percent improved but I am still having consistent knee joint pain. I sometimes have to limp along, cannot exercise, avoid stairs if possible and have problems doing anything that makes me bend my knees. This is becoming harder and harder to live with and I am tired of taking pain reliever!

Does anyone else have similar symptoms? Could there be permanent damage to my knees?

I have an appointment in three weeks or so, and I am curious as to what other symptoms others must live with.

Best Wishes to all,

Logger

Old 09-03-2007, 01:04 AM   #2
(female)

roses4evver HB User
Re: Constant knee joint pain

Hi logger,
Sorry no one has answered your post yet. Maybe some will as time goes along & people log on.
It would be easier to answer some of your questions with a few more details. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, connective tissue disease, & mild arthritis in my hands 12 yrs ago. I'm 46 & have had all over joint & knee pain for 12-14 yrs and have taken tylenol like candy for the pain (3-3x daily for 12 yrs) becuase I thought I was too young for anthing serious & continued to go on with life. (family hx early osteoarthritis & Rheumatoid). I havn't been able to kneel down on my knees for about 13 yrs now. When I would the nexy day my knee would be swollen, painful & I would have to limp for a week...so I just simply avoided it. It had gotten so bad with my knees in the last 2 yrs that it was worrying me VERY much so I went on a very good Rheumatologist waiting list (11 mo to get in) since Fibromyalgia is an autoimmune disease & they also deal with arthritis. Long story short, May 2006 I was diagnosed with severe osteoarthris (Rheumatologist & ortho surgeon), Systemic Lupus, Diabetic, Rheumatoid arthritis. I had to have a Total knee replacement 6/19/07... & at this point having a very slow recovery.

Could it be possible you have arthritic knees? More than reactive arthritis I mean.

MRI could be done, a scope could be done & would show if there is any damage that needs repairing. If you could see what arthritis looks like in a joint even someone as young as I am you would be amazed. The scope itself is by an orthopedic surgeon who would repair any arthritis. In my case I had this done twice but my entitre joint was effected so the scope was useless.
If this condition persists I would seek out a good orthopedic surgeon. Options would be Injections in the knee for your pain (some people have very good results with this), MRI, scope, and if all else fails....in time a knee replacement. But there are so many options way before a knee replacement. Good luck to you.

*~* "Cherish every moment you share with your love, drink life every second you can, love like there will be no tomorrow!" *~*

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
(male)

FlyingScot HB User
Re: Constant knee joint pain

This is an old post but I would like to contribute to the subject of knee and joint pain. I woke up one day with a stabbing pain in my knee. At first not so bad. Second day it was closing in on debilitating. The third day I could barely drive my car to the doctor as the pain was excruciating when my foot went from the gas to the brake and back. I went to my family doc and he gave me two prescriptions. One for pain and one for inflammation. I looked up the side effects of both drugs and decided to go to a naturopath. He told me to go to a drug store and buy a bottle of pure castor oil and a tensor bandage. He said apply the castor oil liberally to the the knee 3 times a day. The tensor bandage was to protect my clothes and bed sheets from the oil. In 3 days I was walking up and down stairs again and completely pain and discomfort free in 4 or 5 days. Since then I have recommended the same solution to many people with great success. Castor oil works wonders on joint inflammation. The cost? $5 to $10 and zero side effects. Well...maybe softer skin...

Reply Reply