It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2007, 05:11 AM   #1
(male)

Allcarbon HB User
femoral nerve damage after hip op

Hi,lve just had my left hip resurfaced 9 weeks ago,during the op the femoral nerve was damaged which restricts me from extending my lower leg in as much my quads can not contract,so if sitting l cannot lift my leg straight.
Apparently this happens only in about 2% of op's,so has any one else had
this problem.
l also had my other hip resurfaced 5 1/2 years ago, still going strong and it has been well tested skiing,cycling etc.

Thanks

Old 10-18-2007, 01:22 PM   #2
(female)

2hiptobetrue HB User
Re: femoral nerve damage after hip op

Hello......I don't know if it is a femoral nerve, after THR in Aug and then in March, but I am almost positive that I have nerve damage also, in my right leg, around the knee to thigh area, as the groin nerve prevents me from also raising my leg. The pull pain goes from my groin to my knee, both sides. It also gets stiff at night. I try massage and that helps. I do as many exercises occasionally as I've a mind to. The doc said that it happened to my right leg when I was on it to have the left hip done. But, I can stand and walk with out pain now. So, I will live with it, possibly, unless it gets worse. I have no trouble at all with the left leg/hip, or the right hip. It is uncomfortable to sit very long, but I've heard that is pretty normal, but I don't know for how long. I feel fortunate to have ROM back for the most part......good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2009, 05:20 PM   #3
(female)

vlaud HB User
Re: femoral nerve damage after hip op

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allcarbon View Post
Hi,lve just had my left hip resurfaced 9 weeks ago,during the op the femoral nerve was damaged which restricts me from extending my lower leg in as much my quads can not contract,so if sitting l cannot lift my leg straight.
Apparently this happens only in about 2% of op's,so has any one else had
this problem.
l also had my other hip resurfaced 5 1/2 years ago, still going strong and it has been well tested skiing,cycling etc.

Thanks
What has your surgeon said. Did he tell you it was going to get better. Did the nerve get compressed or was it severed. Why do the doctor's act like it's not their fault. If he severed you nerve it is his fault. I know what your going through. I'm in the same boat. Hang in there
Vlaud

Closed Thread