It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2007, 11:11 PM   #1
(female)

Tifferzz HB User
Has Anyone Here Had A Tear Of Their Medial Meniscus?

Hello, I am writing about my daughter. We just found out that she has a tear of her Medial Meniscus. She is almost 13 years old and a big sports player! She injured her knee in a soccer game in May 2007. I took her to the doctors then, he thought it was just an over-stretched ligament. Told her to wear a knee brace during sports, dance etc. We did that. Her knee still coninued to bother her all summer. If she would do dance, it would hurt. If she went to soccer/basketball camp, it would hurt. If she did anything physical during the summer it would still hurt her. I took her back to the doctors in August, told them it was still bothering her. They did an X-Ray, it came back normal. Told me if it still bothers her, to call back and they will do a MRI. I called early last week, told them it was still bothering her. They set up a MRI last Wednesday, and we got the results this past Friday. This is the MRI results:

1. Oblique tear of the medial third of the posterior horn of the medial meniscus.

2. Minimal joint effusion.

3. Minimal focal early patellar chondromalacia.

We picked her up from Volleyball practice Friday, and had to tell the coach that she could not play volleyball until she sees an Orthopedic Surgeon. Of course the coach was upset. Then we told our daughter when we left. We told her she is not allowed to play ANY sports, she is not allowed to do her dance classes and she is not allowed to participate in Gym. She started crying and was all upset. She has been playing sports for 4 years and dancing for 4 years.

Her favorite sport is Basketball .... she is tall ..... and she is very good in basketball. Her hopes are to go to college and play basketball. However, my husband and I are now scared ..... because of her knee problems. We are not sure if she is going to be able to. I have found a little bit on the internet about the tear she has. I have read that depending where her tear is ... it may not be fixable because there is not much blood flow to the medial meniscus. I read some parts ... depending on where the tear is can fix and heal, but other parts are not fixable and usually do not heal. I am afraid that her tear may be where there is not much blood flow. I have found some things online about it .... but not an over abundance of things about it.

Has anyone here had the same problem as my daughter? If so ... what have you done to have it fixed? Surgery? Has it healed on it's on? If you have had surgery to fix this problem ... how are you doing after the surgery? Do you think it is possible that my daughter can continue to play sports? If you have any advice for me please tell me! We are scared that she may not be able to play sports again.

We have an appointment set up with an Orthopedic Surgeon for the 24th of the month. However, I am waiting for them to call me back, because I want to re-schedule with one of the other doctors who do sports medicine. The current appointment is with some new doctor .... and he doesn't do sports medicine.

Thank you for any help you can provide about this!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2007, 04:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User
Re: Has Anyone Here Had A Tear Of Their Medial Meniscus?

what have you done to have it fixed? Surgery? Has it healed on it's own?

About the most common orthopedic complaint for knees is meniscal tears. When I had my knee scope, the doc actually showed me an old tear that had healed on its own, and the tear that he was fixing... so I've had both. I was able to do sports, Army stuff (all the physical training, road marches, deployments, etc.) with the old tear and the new.

To answer your other question, after surgery I was and am fine. My husband had the same surgery on his knee and deployed to Afghanistan two months later... no problems.

I'm sure you'll get others on here that will jump on and tell you horror stories (there always are), but I wanted to tell you that generally these things go very well.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:00 AM   #3
(female)

nowwhat?! HB User

Hello,
I had a partial tear of my meniscus last year also playing soccer. I had it scoped in OCtober. Personally my surgery went well. I am a Division 1 soccer player and after rehabing it I have been able to play, pain free. I do reccomend a sports med. doctor just because they deal with athletes and they realize the major part of why we came to see them was so we can get back on our team playing. HOpe the appointment goes well!

Old 09-08-2007, 03:02 PM   #4
(female)

Tifferzz HB User

Thank you so much nowwhat and dustoffkid, I appreciate you writing to tell me your experiences!! They are definitely good to hear. I actually got a sooner appointment for my daughter. She now goes on September 19th, and it is with a Sports Medicine Orthopedic Surgeon. So, I am happy now!! I was a little scared about her seeing the original doctor. She definitely wants to continue to play sports. She's upset now because she cannot play volleyball. Thankfully the coach has allowed her to stay on the team. The only other bad thing is, they are supposed to be going on a 3 day field trip next week. Some of the teachers aren't sure if my daughter should go because it's a lot of walking, hiking and climbing. Of course my daughter is upset because she wants to go. The family doctor said no sports, and no dance etc. I am just not sure if she can go on this trip. Climbing would not be good with this kind of tear right? I wish we could ask the Surgeon if she can go on the trip .... but the surgeon has not seen my daughter yet, so I know they won't answer that question for me. I am not sure how much my family doctor knows about these tears. I don't want her saying yes she can go on this trip ... then something happens where the tear .... tears more. Ugghhhhhh!!

I hope my daughter has a good out-come from this. It stinks it happened so early!! It also stinks because she is a sports girl, she loves playing lots of different sports. I hope and pray that everything turns out ok.

Is there a lot of rehab afterwards? If she was to get surgery .... do you have to stay off the leg for awhile? Or do they get you up and walking right away? How long till you can start using the knee?

Thank you all ~

Old 07-04-2010, 01:20 PM   #5
(female)

bev1919 HB User
Smile Re: Has Anyone Here Had A Tear Of Their Medial Meniscus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifferzz View Post
Hello, I am writing about my daughter. We just found out that she has a tear of her Medial Meniscus. She is almost 13 years old and a big sports player! She injured her knee in a soccer game in May 2007. I took her to the doctors then, he thought it was just an over-stretched ligament. Told her to wear a knee brace during sports, dance etc. We did that. Her knee still coninued to bother her all summer. If she would do dance, it would hurt. If she went to soccer/basketball camp, it would hurt. If she did anything physical during the summer it would still hurt her. I took her back to the doctors in August, told them it was still bothering her. They did an X-Ray, it came back normal. Told me if it still bothers her, to call back and they will do a MRI. I called early last week, told them it was still bothering her. They set up a MRI last Wednesday, and we got the results this past Friday. This is the MRI results:

1. Oblique tear of the medial third of the posterior horn of the medial meniscus.

2. Minimal joint effusion.

3. Minimal focal early patellar chondromalacia.

We picked her up from Volleyball practice Friday, and had to tell the coach that she could not play volleyball until she sees an Orthopedic Surgeon. Of course the coach was upset. Then we told our daughter when we left. We told her she is not allowed to play ANY sports, she is not allowed to do her dance classes and she is not allowed to participate in Gym. She started crying and was all upset. She has been playing sports for 4 years and dancing for 4 years.

Her favorite sport is Basketball .... she is tall ..... and she is very good in basketball. Her hopes are to go to college and play basketball. However, my husband and I are now scared ..... because of her knee problems. We are not sure if she is going to be able to. I have found a little bit on the internet about the tear she has. I have read that depending where her tear is ... it may not be fixable because there is not much blood flow to the medial meniscus. I read some parts ... depending on where the tear is can fix and heal, but other parts are not fixable and usually do not heal. I am afraid that her tear may be where there is not much blood flow. I have found some things online about it .... but not an over abundance of things about it.

Has anyone here had the same problem as my daughter? If so ... what have you done to have it fixed? Surgery? Has it healed on it's on? If you have had surgery to fix this problem ... how are you doing after the surgery? Do you think it is possible that my daughter can continue to play sports? If you have any advice for me please tell me! We are scared that she may not be able to play sports again.

We have an appointment set up with an Orthopedic Surgeon for the 24th of the month. However, I am waiting for them to call me back, because I want to re-schedule with one of the other doctors who do sports medicine. The current appointment is with some new doctor .... and he doesn't do sports medicine.

Thank you for any help you can provide about this!

I have had a medial miniscus tear in my knee. I am a 12 year old girl. As I could see that after surgery your daughter would be eager to play sports again and would possiblely start before she was directed to doing more activity on her knee. I started running and playing basketball before I was supposed to and I messed up my knee even more. I would make sure to tell her TO NOT over do anything or do anything with out the doctors permission. She will regret it! Now sense I started playing before I was supposed to I have to get my miniscus taken out which means I can never play sports again. I was heartbroken.
Recovery from surgery

After surgery your daughter should be able to start walking after three days. It all depends on how bad the cercumstances are. I had a horrible tear and I was on crutches for 18 weeks. But I had the worst possible outcome. She will be put in a bandage. With no brace. (I had a full leg brace.)
Sense your daughter is young she should lose her limp after two months. Two months of physical therapy is the recommended given amount. As I know kids don't think they have to do the given excercises but if she wants to play sports she has to. Even though they are boring. She must do them slow also, or else she is doing them for nothing. If she does not do the excercises her knee could get stiff which would result in more pysical therapy and more time before she could play sports again. < edited >
I am willing to help.

Last edited by hb-mod; 07-04-2010 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Please do not post personal information, such as real name and/or email.

Old 07-04-2010, 01:26 PM   #6
(female)

bev1919 HB User
Smile Re: Has Anyone Here Had A Tear Of Their Medial Meniscus?

I had a rthroscopy done on my knee.

It has been 4 months sense I got off my crutches. I had a little limp for about a month but it went away. I did 5 months of physical therapy.

After the crutches I was doing good for a while till I started playing sports again. They did not tell me that I should wear a brace when playing. So I hurt my knee agan. I am having surgery to take the miniscus out in one month. I would recomend that your daughter should wear a brace. So she does not injure it again.

After reading your story it seems like a simple repair so your daughter should be fine to play sports again.

I hope this was helpful.

Last edited by moderator2; 07-04-2010 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Please do not post personal information, such as real name and/or email.

Old 07-04-2010, 01:42 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

jerseyboy HB Userjerseyboy HB User

All sounds like good advise. I do think that it's important for your daughter to respect the doctors orders and not do sports. Pretty tough for a 13yo who is active. But as was said here, you can do more damage than was there originally. Your research was correct about the blood flow to the Menicus. I have never heard of a tear healing itself because of that very fact. I am certainly no authority, but that does seem like a stretch.

Seems like a long time to wait for an Ortho appt, all the way to Sept? Maybe you could get on a cancellation list?

I also wouldn't be too quick to read into any of these posts here as every knee is different. Just because one person had a great outcome doesn't mean your daughter will, or vise versa. What she has going for her is her youth, strength and stamina. With the right doctor and the right diagnosis, there doesn't seem like there would be any reason why she couldn't go on and do great things in sports I pray that she will!

Let us know who things turn out

Happy 4th!
Right TKR 3-31-10
Left TKR 7-7-10

Last edited by jerseyboy; 07-04-2010 at 01:45 PM.

Closed Thread