It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2007, 06:22 AM   #1
(male)

puravida HB User
Degenerative cyst in hip?"please help"

Can anyone please tell me what the ramifications of a degenerative cyst found in the hip means? has anyone had this?and what does it really mean?

Can a injection take care of it?or is surgery my only solution.

I have done bone scans,regular xrays,and Mri and basically this is what they found.

anybody with this situation or knows about this please post.

Thanks.

Old 09-28-2007, 06:32 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User
Re: Degenerative cyst in hip?"please help"

Sounds like you may have osteoarthritis in the hip joint. Cysts tend to form there as a result of the condition.

Have you been told you need a hip replacement?

If it's just a fluid filled cyst...with no cartilage loss in the hip joint...they may be able to drain it.

Good luck,
Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2010, 08:49 AM   #3
(female)

jlov HB User

Hi, I am new here and I have been in pain for 5 years now. As of 2009 I began to really look into it and fell into the hands of ortho docs that have done every xray, mri, ct scan, and blood test possible to avoid surgery. They have found swelling of the synovium and a cyst in my proximal femur in my right hip. I am 32, mother of a 3 year old boy and about to be married this year 2010. My plans were to have a 2nd baby right after and no i feel like those plans are being take away. I just saw my ortho doc. yesterday and he highly suggests a bone graph surgery, not sure of the exact name but it's open surgery where he would remove the synovium and scrape out the cyst and fill it with a bone graph. Thing is recovery is about 3-5 months, I feel like i have so much to do with my day to day life. What happens if I wait for this surgery? Should I get a second opinion? I was told the cyst is taking about 30% of my bone and is at easier risk of breaking if I fall or hit it really hard. At that point I would then need total hip replacement. Do I go ahead with the less severe surgery? Please help. Does anyone have something similar to me?

Old 06-13-2012, 05:51 AM   #4
(female)

Optomistic54 HB User

Hi. I'm new as well. Always obtain a second opinion, especially as you are so young. I'm 54 and over the last 6 months have had some very severe falls which seemed to be due to wet, sloping surfaces. I'm extremely fit and active & until the last fall (which tore muscles and the labra - being soft tissue around the acetabulum ((the hip socket)) had no pain. So was astounded when an MRI showed significant joint problems, including a "bone eating cyst". I'm having a hip replacement as too late for anything else. Have the lesser surgery if a second opinion supports that view. Don't wait for a bad fall and lots of damage which may be difficult to fix, especially if the acetabulum is badly compromised.

The following user gives a hug of support to Optomistic54:
SweetPeainSF (06-13-2012)
Closed Thread