It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2007, 03:37 PM   #1
(female)

cupiecake HB Usercupiecake HB User
Pros and cons of meniscus tear repair vs removal

My husband found out he has a small tear in his meniscus, along with a cyst. The doctor advised surgery to remove it. We've hear that its possible to keep off the knee for a few weeks and it could heal without surgery...is this really possible? Also has anyone had the repair surgery done and did it work for you? He has contacted another doctor for a second opinion to see if repair is possible. Any advice is greatly appreciated- thanks!!

Old 11-19-2007, 09:14 PM   #2
(female)

marze HB User
Re: Pros and cons of meniscus tear repair vs removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupiecake View Post
My husband found out he has a small tear in his meniscus, along with a cyst. The doctor advised surgery to remove it. We've hear that its possible to keep off the knee for a few weeks and it could heal without surgery...is this really possible? Also has anyone had the repair surgery done and did it work for you? He has contacted another doctor for a second opinion to see if repair is possible. Any advice is greatly appreciated- thanks!!
It is possible to heal without surgery with physical therapy and not being employed where your o n your feet all the time. Also if you tear it once you are more likely to tear again at somepoint in your life. I would reccommend doing the sugery and getting it over with. I am on my second meniscus tear and I am in alot of pain and PT did not work for me and now i am in constant pain so i am not sure what the next step is for me. If your not confident with the response from your dr about surery get a second opinion.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2007, 06:16 PM   #3
(female)

karen55 HB User

I had a shredded miscuscus from a bad fall approx 3 yrs ago. Had surgery to repair it and it went well. The knee is working fairly well without pain, except have limited mobility going down stairs ... have to take them one at a time instead of walking down them right foot following left foot. A small inconvenience and very livable. I understand it's common to have difficulty post-surgery going down stairs but many do not experience this limitation. The surgery is worth it with moderate heal time and therapy over 6-8 weeks.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:23 PM   #4
(female)

marze HB User

I have not had the surgery yet but most likely i will be having the surgery. I just had my mri today and get the results tuesday. I would reccommed if you have the opportunity to have the surgery go for it as you will be out of pain especially if all of the conventional methods have failed and there is definatlly a tear and pain. Good luck.

Old 12-01-2007, 03:55 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

jacal5 HB Userjacal5 HB User

My best friend had meniscus surgery and she has more pain now than before the surgery, her other knee has a meniscus tear now and she refuses to get it done.
The doctor who operated is on the best doctor list, he is now recommending pain management and/or knee replacement for her. I read an article on-line which said that although the MRI diagnosis is torn meniscus, it doesn't necessarily mean the meniscus is causing the knee pain.

I have a partial meniscus tear in one knee and a partial ACL tear in the other, the ACL tear hurts more than the meniscus but I have pain in both knees and I hesitate to get any surgery because of my friend's bad outcome. When I told a knee surgeon what happened to my friend, he said no doctor can predict the outcome of knee surgery.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:42 PM   #6
(female)

Roseyrobin HB User

In 1998 I had an MRI which indicated a torn meniscus, a horizontal clevage tear. When the orthopedic surgeon who wanted to do the arthroscopy said "there's no guarantee" I chose NOT to have the procedure and I chose not to take the anti-inflammatory drugs. Instead, I went for physical therapy. In time, the inflammation subsided with the help of an anti-inflammatory diet. I've been taking glucosamine/chondroiten faithfully and it helps me remain pain-free except for an occasional flare-up when I overdo fast walking. Since then, I do not run, jump, squat or walk very fast but I don't regret not having the surgery.

Old 12-26-2007, 06:47 PM   #7
(male)

paradiddle HB User

I had meniscus tear repair done after a partial acl tear in 1990 playing b-ball. Did not repair ACL but did a lot of PT. My insurance wouldn't cover the ACL work. I tore cartilage again in 93 and had some removed.

Today, I got the news that I need TKR (Total knee replacement) cause i'm bone on bone in that area. Not in terrible pain but I knew something was wrong for the past year. I am 75 lbs overweight, which I am sure did not help.

I think I'm deciding to hold off on TKR for 1-3 years as I am ok for now.

The meniscus repair is a case by case thing but looking back I wish I had got the ACL repair and kept my weight down.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:52 PM   #8
(female)

fantail HB Userfantail HB Userfantail HB User

I had a meniscus repair done early 2008 and did not ever come right. I wound up bone on bone and had a TKR in March this year. I am now in the least pain I have been in for the 4 years since the accident that caused the tear. Every 'clean up' reduces the cartilage and adds to bone on bone. I would get it done if it's the first time, mine was the second time that 'killed' the knee as had a tidy up 10 years earlier. It is not worth continuing in pain and living a restricted lifestyle I feel. I am now returning gradually to the active lifestyle I had before my knee problems.
It's great to have another from 'Down Under' on this forum! Summer is a bit slower on this side of the Tasman littlehorse, keep waiting for your heat wave to hit us!
Margaret

Last edited by fantail; 11-18-2009 at 07:53 PM.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:05 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

littlehorse HB User

Hi Margaret,

You wrote:
>I had a meniscus repair done early 2008 and did not ever come right.

Oh, that's a worry. (

>I wound up bone on bone and had a TKR in March this year.

What is a TKR?

>I am now in the least pain I have been in for the 4 years since the accident that caused the tear.

That's good! )

> Every 'clean up' reduces the cartilage and adds to bone on bone.

That's a worry. Why do they do it then? I don't see how removing the torn bit helps if this is true. Why would the surgeon want to do it at all?

> I would get it done if it's the first time, mine was the second time that 'killed' the knee as had a tidy up 10 years earlier.

Why did you have to have a second surgery? Did you injure your knee again?

> It is not worth continuing in pain and living a restricted lifestyle I feel. I am now returning gradually to the active lifestyle I had before my knee problems.

I am not in that much pain. I do know that "it is there" especially when I walk any distance. I still walk my dog for about 1/2 hour per day and spend a lot of time on my feet taking care of my miniature horses and doing housework LOL! I have had the injury for over a year now and have managed to live with it. It does swell up and I have a Baker's Cyst behind the knee as well. After reading your post I am now worried about having the surgery because I am afraid that it will only make my knee worse. I am also wondering why my orthopedic surgeon wants to do it at all?

>It's great to have another from 'Down Under' on this forum! Summer is a bit slower on this side of the Tasman littlehorse, keep waiting for your heat wave to hit us!

Today was nearly 40 degrees and we have gotten no rain at all. My little property is all dirt and resembals dusty concrete more then actual soil. I am now hand feeding my poor ponies twice per day because there is no grass here at all. I am lucky in that I have air conditioning in my home but when I step outside it feels exactly like stepping into an oven! I really wouldn't wish this heat on anyone! Maybe I should move to New Zealand LOL!

Littlehorse

Last edited by moderator2; 11-19-2009 at 05:23 AM. Reason: posted contact info - please read the posting rules

Old 11-19-2009, 09:40 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

littlehorse HB User

G'day,

I have the same injury (torn miniscus) and my orthopedic surgeon recommends that I have the surgery to take out the torn bit as well. I've read a few posts/outcomes on here where people say that the outcome was not so great after surgery for their torn miniscus so I am now wondering if I should have it done or not. I would love to hear how your husband goes with it. For now, I'm putting off having it done.

I'd like to know what you find out about just resting the knee in order for it to recover.
I have read that the cartilage does not heal because there is no blood flow into that part of the knee so am doubtful about it.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:14 PM   #11
(female)

fantail HB Userfantail HB Userfantail HB User

Littlehorse I had a second tear after another accident and Bakers cyst (which did not come right) before my second surgery. A TKR is a total knee replacement. I would discuss with the surgeon how much cartilage will be removed as I understand that this is basically what repairing the teat is - however I may be wrong.

It's 18 here in Auckland today - hear you poor guys have more bush fires

Last edited by fantail; 11-19-2009 at 08:14 PM.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:30 PM   #12
(male)

drzmacho HB User

well i had my done last year 2009 and i only took like 2weeks off thats about it and it does hurt kinda not really but mine did not heal right because i play sports so now i have to go through my 2nd surgery (VERY EAST STUFF) just relax and rest and stay off your feet

Closed Thread