It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2007, 01:17 PM   #1
(female)

Yawnie HB User
Pain following hip revision?

Will try to make this as short as possible. I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has experienced problems with hip revision surgery. I had initial THR in May of 2006. First weeks of recovery were GREAT! About 3 months out, I started having severe thigh pain. Went back to surgeon, he took me off my feet for several weeks, during which time I was taking Fosamax. A few weeks turned into 4 months. At the end of that time, I was feeling a little better. Three weeks after I was released to return to work, I had another episode of SEVERE pain in my thigh. My surgeon seemed truly frustrated, so I made an appointment for a second opinion. The new doctor said it was his opinion that the implant was undersized, and since he had no experience with the implant that was used, he sent a letter to my surgeon recommending hip revision. My surgeon called to set up an appt. During the consultation, he said that he agreed that it should be replaced. In May 2007, I went under the knife again. During revision surgery, it is sometimes necessary to remove part of the bone to take out the old femoral implant and insert the new. I was warned ahead of time that this surgery would be much more involved. And it was SOOOOO much more painful. I am now 5 months out, and I am still having thigh pain. The doctor says this is normal with revision surgery, but since I had so much trouble following the initial replacement, I am very concerned. Is there anyone out there who has had a revision where the thigh bone was cut during surgery.? If so, please let me know your progress. Thanks!

(P.S. Following the revision surgery, he said that the femoral stem had bone ingrowth at the top, but no attachment at the tip, which was causing my pain before revision.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2007, 07:57 PM   #2
(female)

ruthmcc HB User
Re: Pain following hip revision?

interesting but scary to read your problems after 2 hip replacements.
it's over 2 years since my hip replacement I had done great until about a month ago when I started having pain from my groin down the front of my femur. it is not bad when walking but hurts very bad trying to get into the car I have to lift my leg into car and it still hurts, also almost impossible to do staight leg lifts. am going back to see my surgeon next week.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:23 PM   #3
(male)

killerkai2 HB User

My problem with hip revision was nerve injury and foot drop

Old 07-13-2008, 12:41 AM   #4
(female)

SallyG HB User

I had a THR, not a revision 11 months ago and for the past few months have had a great deal of hip and thigh pain. I've been back to the docs and they tell me everything is fine, blood work is fine, x-rays fine, etc.
They said physical therapy might help and that I should remember that some people just have pain.

I'm sorry to hear how this has turned out for you. I hope things get better fast.

Old 08-03-2008, 03:45 AM   #5
(male)

gmaestral HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyG View Post
I had a THR, not a revision 11 months ago and for the past few months have had a great deal of hip and thigh pain. I've been back to the docs and they tell me everything is fine, blood work is fine, x-rays fine, etc.
They said physical therapy might help and that I should remember that some people just have pain.

I'm sorry to hear how this has turned out for you. I hope things get better fast.
Hi I had the same thing happen to me, and I was convinced that I had A loose hip liner, and I was right in my own diagnosis. I went back to my dr. brad penenberg in beverly hills california, and literaly begged him to revise my hip. I'm only 18 days out of surgery, and all that previous pain is gone. I have a little siatic nerve pain, but I think it will go away. After my first hip I was on the cain for 8 months, but now I walk without a cain after only 2 weeks. The pain I had from that loose hip was nothing like I had ever experienced in my life. The surgery is a blessing to make that pain go away. Just do it. I had a little bad experience there as they made my first hip about and inch plus too long, and they operated again just four days later, and that is when I got the bad hip liner, but still with all that I know this is one of the top surgeons in the world, and I highly recomend him. I set a new record in that hospital, as I actualy drove my rental car to the los angelos airport by my self the next day, and went back to florida. I don't like hospitals, and was determined to leave. Even after I felt he messed me up I trusted him to give me a good hip, and I think I have a good hip now.

Old 08-03-2008, 03:49 AM   #6
(male)

gmaestral HB User

I feel sorry for you because I heard of that foot drop, and when I woke up that was one of the first things I was looking for. I don't know if they can correct that, but I hope for your sake that they can. I heard a lot of war stories about that, and it seems like you had a witch doctor.

Old 08-03-2008, 03:59 AM   #7
(male)

gmaestral HB User

I would suggest u call dr. brad penenberg in beverly hills california. although I had a little problem with his first surgery, because of leg length. He then did a revision four days later, and I told him that hip is loose, before I even left california. I suffered with that hip for 18 months, until i finally begged him to fix me. I'm only 18 days out of the second revision or third surgery, but now that awful pain is gone, and I'm walking without a cane. I left the hospital the next day, and drove my own rental car to the LA airport to go back to Florida, and I;m 62. Just do it. The liner is your problem or the stem if the pain is in the thigh. One more day of that pain is not worth it, so just do it.

Closed Thread