It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2007, 02:26 PM   #1
(male)

SJS68 HB User
"Chicken Shots" for Knee

I had a THR 5 weeks ago and while my wife was taking care of me her knee, which she had surgery on 8 years ago, became swollen and very sore. Xrays yesterday showed one side is bone on bone. The OS recommended trying a series of 3 injections before thinking about more surgery. The injections are something that is made from chicken combs. Has anyone ever heard of these and how successful are they.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2007, 08:36 AM   #2
(female)

lfr HB User
Re: "Chicken Shots" for Knee

I just had my first injection yesterday on both knees. I'm a bit sore now, and my dr. told me that most of his patients don't notice a difference until at least the second or third injection. So far, I'm a bit sore from the injection and don't notice any change. I'd be happy to let you know in a few weeks how I feel. My dr. told me that some of his patients benefit from the injections and some don't. But, for me it was worth giving it a try.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2007, 06:08 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

MoLu HB User

I had them a couple of months ago and they didn't work. Not sorry I tried though. At least when it comes time for a TKR I will know that I tried everything.
Good luck to your wife.
Molu

Old 11-11-2007, 08:06 PM   #4
(female)

river525 HB User

OH lord I tried these a few times and will never do them again. I've had so far 7 knee surgeries and these treatments, cortisone, etc etc.........I've tried everything just waiting till the doctors think I'm old enough to have TKR.

Matter of fact I'm calling them tomorrow and seeing if 43 is old enough as I would really like to enjoy walking and sleeping without pain while I'm still "young".

Hopefully they will work for your wife but they sure didn't do anything for me except make me scream each time they injected my knee. I'm a big sissy with injections in the joints and had to have a valium and my husband to go with me the second and third time. So I will say go with her to hold her hand if she does decide to do them - ouch ouch ouch!! Now I will say I have ZERO cartlidge left in my knees so they say that makes it hurt worse.

ps.......they are called Synvisc injections if you want to google them

Old 11-14-2007, 08:23 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

music47 HB User
Thumbs up Re: "Chicken Shots" for Knee

I had six injections of Synvisc, three in each knee and they helped for about six months with no side effects. I am thinking seriously about having the injections again. My insurance will only pay about 80% of the cost so that is the main reason I haven't had them again.

Sincerely
Mus

Closed Thread