It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2007, 07:23 AM   #1
(female)

pepper162 HB User
After hip surgery my knees hurt, why?

After hip surgery my knees hurt, why? I had hip surgery on August 3, 2007. My surgeon says that my legs are even but it just doesn't feel that way to me. My right leg the leg in which I had the surgery now feels longer than my left and when I walk I still experience pain and my knee hurts. I am so depressed and want my life back. Can someone please help me.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:43 PM   #2
(male)

MAZPARTS HB User
Lightbulb Re: After hip surgery my knees hurt, why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper162 View Post
After hip surgery my knees hurt, why? I had hip surgery on August 3, 2007. My surgeon says that my legs are even but it just doesn't feel that way to me. My right leg the leg in which I had the surgery now feels longer than my left and when I walk I still experience pain and my knee hurts. I am so depressed and want my life back. Can someone please help me.
Hi-
I had total hip replacement Jan. 2006 for left and dec.2006 for right side. I am a 53 y.o. male. Hip pain is gone but as time progressed the pain moved from upper legs to sides of thighs and now mainly in my knees. Orthopedic surgeon, primary care physician, neurologist, and MRI have not been able to explain why the pain is there. I feel that this just [part of the healing process and I am very glad I had the surgeries. Hip pain is the WORST pain ever. So give it more time and I think you will be ok...good luck. Ed

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2007, 09:08 AM   #3
(female)

harleekrome HB User
Re: After hip surgery my knees hurt, why?

Pepper,
Had my left THR in April 2007. My knee just ached all the time...It should get better. And my left leg is now longer also. Had to put about 1/2 inch heel support in my right shoe. Actually have a Dr. Scholl's gel pad and 2 heel supports that you can get off the shelf at any Walmart. I went to a rehab store after surgery, but Walmart's stuff is just as good, just have to experiment and stack them to get yourself as level as possible. Only explanation I have been able to come up with is that your new hip is at the same level as your hip was at at age...say 21 and your original hip has shrunk with the rest of your skeleton. My MD laughs and says when he replaces my right one, I'll be back to 5'4"
Anyway, 7 months later my knee is much better, though I am having some healing sensations in the lateral muscle right above the knee. Kind of like the burny itchy feeling I had at my abdominal incision years ago after my c-section. Drives me nuts, but it, too, is getting better. Why, I don't know, and my orthopod says it is normal. But have faith, the more you walk on it and exercise, the knee should get better. Mine did. Good luck with it!

Closed Thread