It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2007, 09:23 AM   #1
(male)

fusionman HB User
Help! still in pain 8 weeks after knee surgery for meniscus tear and lateral release

Hi..I'm 8 weeks post-op from having a lateral release and meniscus tear surgery on my left knee. I'm in worse pain than prior to having surgery. Has anyone else experienced this surgery and what was your recovery like? I hear it can take up to 6 months to a year to fully recover. I'm concerned that the surgery has made me worse?

I have been swimming to rehab the knee since PT didn't help! I would love to know what others have done to get better. Thank you and I wish you all the best health possible.

fusionman

The Following User Says Thank You to fusionman For This Useful Post:
STEVENDH283 (07-30-2012)
Old 12-06-2007, 08:25 AM   #2
(male)

gib HB User
Re: Help! still in pain 8 weeks after knee surgery for meniscus tear and lateral rele

Seems like recovery time is different for everybody depending on damage done and fitness/activity level. I had a miniscus tear and microfracture done two years ago this last September, also stretched the MCL pretty good. I think I'm doing ok but I still have some pain since I work it pretty hard at the gym including running several miles each session. I also get inflammation still, usually from the running, that feels like pressure behind the knee cap that will go away with rest. Since I don't feel I've *fully* (100%) recovered yet, I'm hoping another year or two...keeping my fingers crossed and praying that nothing like that ever happens again. For the most part, I'd say I'm hovering around 95% recovery for the last 18 months. Gains are slow coming! I think I'm average in my recovery based on the many people I've talked to that have had similar injuries as mine.

Not sure what to say about your pain level at 8 weeks post op? I could hobble around on mine before surgery, except for the occasional wrong step that reminded me something was wrong. Waited two months for it to get better, it didn't, then let the doc work on it. I really never had any pain from the surgery itself, never took any of the vicodin they gave me, can't remember how long after surgery I was on crutches, couple of weeks? I had full weight bearing status after surgery but it still hurt bad enough to use the crutches. But at 8 weeks, where you're at now, I was walking around well enough.

Why do you say PT is not working? I didn't do any 'official' PT. Told doc I was a regular member at the gym and very active, he said to continue with that, I played around in the pool some and did lot's of stationary bike to keep the knee flexed. I couldn't believe how stiff the knee was from the stretched MCL!

Any swelling issues? My doc liked to drain the knee, twice before surgery, once after, which helps a little with the pain and pressure you feel. Although him poking the big needle in your knee is scary!

Stay in the pool, I'd get on a stationary bike too, join a gym for your own sake, work towards an hour a day on the bike, light levels, just to keep the knee flexing. Stationary bike and pool are probably at the top of the list for acivities you need to do for recovery.

Surgery does not 'make it all better', it just fixes the damage, same levels of pain before and after surgery may persist, it's not like taking an aspirin and having it go away. You need to keep working it.

Have you had a follow up with the doc, I'm sure you have, what does he say?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2007, 07:38 AM   #3
(male)

fusionman HB User
Wink Re: Help! still in pain 8 weeks after knee surgery for meniscus tear and lateral rele

Hi Gib,

Thanks for sharing your experience with knee surgery and for your excellent suggestions. Currently I'm an active member of a local YMCA so I do have access to a bike. At the moment my only activity has been swimming 4 to 5 days a week.

I too never had to take any pain meds post surgery and was given a cane to walk on. I can move around well now (8 weeks) and my range of motion is very good. I just have lots of stiffness and sharp pains under and around the knee cap area. I did see the doctor at week 6 and he wanted to inject my knee with cortisone. I refused the shot and told him I would rather it heal on its own than mask over the pain.

I posted here because I was unsure if I should be healed by now or if all this pain and stiffness is normal at this stage? Having said that I realize it's different for everyone.

I wish you the best with your recovery

Warmly,
fusionman

PS-still recovering from major back surgery this past winter ...hence the name fusionman

Old 09-05-2009, 09:26 AM   #4
(male)

Greggann HB User
Re: Help! still in pain 8 weeks after knee surgery for meniscus tear and lateral rele

Fusionman,

I'm curious regarding the long-term outcome of your surgery. I'm 4 months removed from similar surgery and I'm experiencing the same sharp pains you previously mentioned.

How are you feeling now and do you have any words of wisdom for me regarding rehab or other procedures. I'm really frustrated.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:42 AM   #5
(male)

fusionman HB User
Smile Re: Help! still in pain 8 weeks after knee surgery for meniscus tear and lateral rele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggann View Post
Fusionman,

I'm curious regarding the long-term outcome of your surgery. I'm 4 months removed from similar surgery and I'm experiencing the same sharp pains you previously mentioned.

How are you feeling now and do you have any words of wisdom for me regarding rehab or other procedures. I'm really frustrated.
Hi Greggann,

What really helped me over time has been walking. I gave up swimming and started walking everyday. I walk 1 1/2 miles, 7 days a week. PT was recommended after my knee surgery but it hurt more than It helped so I stopped after about 3 sessions. At that time I was still swimming but it hurt the knee a lot. It took many months before my knee didn't hurt a lot. I have to say that the surgery was a waste in my case. My doctor told me it may not do much good because once cartilage is torn it has little chance of healing. Now due to the walking program I'm in very little pain. If you do decide to take up walking I would suggest building up slowly. Best of health to you!

Fusionman

Last edited by fusionman; 09-05-2009 at 10:49 AM.

Old 10-03-2009, 03:50 PM   #6
(female)

Magic80 HB User

Hello everyone,

I had a repair to my meniscus in May 2009 and I am still having problems. I have been unable to return to work, I am still using one crutch - I am told that this is due to muscle weakness. I am attending physio but it causes my knee to become even more painful- I have now decided to just keep to simple stretches and to take short walks, as well as using ice packs for swelling- I seem to be able to control my pain this way.

I have also been suffering from swelling under my feet- they are very painful, especially when I walk for a longer period of time. Has anyone else had this problem?

I would appreciate any advice with regards to this, thanks.

Old 10-03-2009, 03:51 PM   #7
(female)

Magic80 HB User
Problems 5 months after meniscus repair

Hello everyone,

I had a repair to my meniscus in May 2009 and I am still having problems. I have been unable to return to work, I am still using one crutch - I am told that this is due to muscle weakness. I am attending physio but it causes my knee to become even more painful- I have now decided to just keep to simple stretches and to take short walks, as well as using ice packs for swelling- I seem to be able to control my pain this way.

I have also been suffering from swelling under my feet- they are very painful, especially when I walk for a longer period of time. Has anyone else had this problem?

I would appreciate any advice with regards to this, thanks.

Old 10-06-2009, 04:32 PM   #8
(male)

Greggann HB User

Hi Magic 80,

I had surgery in April '09 to repair a torn meniscus (the doctor also performed microfracture surgery). Four months after my surgery I was in more pain than before my surgery (sound familar). I couldn't walk without a noticeable limp and pains were unbearable. I started feeling a little better at the end of August and decided to go back to physical therapy. That was a bad move.., my therapy included "range of motion" exercises that were excruciating. My knee swelled considerably after one week of therapy. My doctor drained the knee and gave me a cortisone shot. The swelling decreased, but the pain persisted for weeks after the shot.

I then decided to oversee my own therapy and I focused on strengthening my quadricep (I also had some atrophy) through isometric exercises. Knee extensions can be painful, but I focused on "holding" the weight in a fully extended position (straight leg) for a "10 second count". I would then lower the weight with my healthy leg and repeat 8-10 times. This seemed to help and I've subsequently added different strengthening exercises (leg curls, etc). The weight training seems to be working.

I was really dejected at the beginning of September, but I'm finally starting to feel better.

Good luck.

Gregg

Old 10-10-2009, 03:15 PM   #9
(male)

bigboy01 HB User

i would go back to your doctor and get another MRI,i had the same thing after
1st menicus tear surgery i had a floating piece,which i thought i could work out
also has cortisone shot gave me some relief however i went back in for 2nd surgery
this week and it already feels alot better

Old 10-22-2009, 02:13 PM   #10
(female)

LagunaNiguel HB User

Hi I had medial miniscus tear and lateral release Physical therapy was a joke. Friend referred me to a Rolfer. Best thing I did. I was rolling to outer edge of my foot --foot became super tender and I couldn't walk. The Rolfer works your connective tissue --amazing the relief from just one visit. Find a Rolfer in your area or contact their main school and headquarters in Colorado for a local person. t

Old 11-06-2009, 01:24 PM   #11
(female)

Magic80 HB User

Thank you to everyone for their replies, it's great that we can at least talk to one another- as the Doctors don't really seem to understand how difficult it can be. I'm still having a lot of problems, symptoms are the same, but have been to the hospital and had x-rays and blood test, will request an MRI next.

BigBoy1 I hope you recover well from your op , it's a shame that you had to have it done again.

LagunaNiguel- what is a Rolfer? I haven't come across that term, I will have to research that online.

Thanks

Old 11-06-2009, 01:32 PM   #12
(female)

Magic80 HB User

Greggann how are you feeling now? any progress? I went to a lower limb class yesterday at physio and was dreading it, especially the treadmill and bike- but I went very slow and made it through!!! I use a hot water bottle on my quads and calf muscles to relax them and then ice pack on the actual knee and feet for swelling- seems to work.

I also use Castor Oil on my knee & feet at night which helps with swelling. You should give it a go :-)

Old 06-01-2010, 08:42 AM   #13
(female)

haloconn HB User
Unhappy Re: Help! still in pain 8 weeks after knee surgery for meniscus tear and lateral rele

Please see my new post

Last edited by haloconn; 06-01-2010 at 09:04 AM. Reason: I deleted my post since it was a duplicate. Thanks.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:41 PM   #14
(female)

LagunaNiguel HB User

Hi. Rolfer don't know where you are located < edited >
I'm in south orange county ca It started in Denver in the 20's named after the inventer It works Uses his hands and thumbs I was so messed up after my surgery --couldn't walk tilted to the left left foot so sore it hurt to just touch the ground with it
Also check out Dr Julian Whitaker clinic Newport Beach CA they have a dept there which can help or eliminate need for surgery or help after a surgery has had issues --arthroscopic issues. It starts with a P but I can't think of the name of the treatment. I want to go there even though mine is fine at the moment --I want to see about building up cartilidge so as I get older I don't have to repeat this surgery. I am now finding that every 5 years back to surgery is the norm! My doctor never mentioned this.
Most pt put you on equipment too soon --and that leg press --good way to blow your surgery out. I went very easy - just bicycle --no jumping, no elyptical, no legg press, no leg lift etc for over a year. I have no pain. I did have a weakness in my left knee --went to chiropractor and that went away. Obviously a nerve got bumped in the surgery.
Hope this helps. t

Last edited by hb-mod; 06-02-2010 at 04:11 AM. Reason: Please don't post disallowed websites, per Posting Policy. Thanks!

Old 06-01-2010, 11:43 PM   #15
(female)

LagunaNiguel HB User

If you have swelling --see a good acupuncturist. They can also help with scar tissue --to not have it built up. They are amazing. I did the acupuncturist post surgery for those two issues inflmaation and scar tissue. t

Closed Thread