It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2007, 07:30 PM   #1
(female)

mary ann 5 HB User
why is the muscles in the thigh so sore after hip replacement surgery

why is the muscles in the thigh so sore after hip replacement surgery. iknow they were cut and all that but it is a stabbing pin a good deal of the time

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2007, 06:12 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Tobias HB User
Re: why is the muscles in the thigh so sore after hip replacement surgery

During the immediate days following my hip surgeries, I experienced the "stabbing" pain like you describe only when I moved "wrong" but not all the time. I had no pain while at rest, even on post-op day #1, because I had adequate pain meds, administered for the first two days via a PCA pump where I pushed a button when I thought I needed it, then after that orally. By the time I went home from the hospital, I took either Tylenol3 or OTC Tylenol and that was enough.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2007, 08:49 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User

maryann....

Sometimes people have what they call "end of stem" pain...down the front of the thigh where the stem was placed. I had the stabbing sensation after my second hip replacement for a month or longer....but didn't with my first replacement.

It will ease eventually. How far out from surgery are you? Lots of healing going on the first few months. It will all fall into place for you......

Good luck,
Linda

Old 12-11-2007, 07:25 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User

Hi li bloom and tobias:

Thanks for your comments about end of stem pain. I am going to have my first hip replacement tomorrow and glad to know about this possibility. Every bit of information is helpful to me preparing for this surgery.

Shirley H.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:03 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User

Silver Swan (love that name!)

Each surgery is different and each patient experiences different levels of pain/discomfort and recovery/progress.

I had the more "traditional" minimally invasive procedure done for my first hip (posterial lateral, 5 inch incision) and, because muscles were cut, had a longer recovery/rehab. With my second, I opted for the 2 incision procedure (anterior and posterial lateral approach) with the muscles separated rather than cut. Recovery was a dream.....

I read your post about housecleaning after surgery. I'm a neatnik with a kitty....and alone.....but managed just fine on my own. I had given the house a really good cleaning prior to both surgeries and was able to keep up with dusting, vacuuming (I have an Oreck....so lightweight), etc. I must admit that changing sheets was difficult for a while, because of the bending, etc.

You will be so glad the surgery is over and anxious to get busy with PT and recovery that all of those things aren't all that important for a while Before you know it, you'll be happy to clean the house!!

I was cleared for driving with my first hip at 6 weeks and went back to work part-time the very next day! With the second, I was driving at 2 weeks and back to work (again part-time).

Best of luck to you and keep us posted when you're on the other side of your surgery!!!
Linda

Old 12-11-2007, 09:40 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User

Dear Linda:

Thank you so much for your comments. I have been thinking about making the bed and wondering if it will be OK to bend getting those corners on the bottom sheets and tucking in the top sheet. Guess it went all right for you but maybe not the most comfortable.

I assume my surgeon will do the conventional entry. I have heard about the Zimmer method but he didn't make any comments about his approach and at the time I didn't have enough knowledge to ask. I could have called him and asked but decided that wouldn't get the ball farther down the field.

Since you did all right all by yourself I think I will too. It is good to know you also cared for a resident kitty.

As for my user name, it is borrowed from the old English Madrigal of the same name by Orlando Gibbons. I was a vocal music teacher and always loved this text and melody. You can look it up - many references. You can find the full text of this short verse.

Thanks again. I will post here when back home and feeling like sitting at the computer. Wonder when that will be? Thanks to all the helpful people that have posted in response to my questions.

Shirley H.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:13 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User

Shirley......

Funny you mention sitting. To me, that was the most uncomfortable thing to do after both surgeries. I don't know what type chair you have at your computer, but it's helpful to have one with arms. Too, when sitting, it helps to extend the operated leg...ideally prop/elevate it in some fashion. Problem with that is that once I was settled in and anxious to type, my short arms couldn't reach the computer because of my position!! I managed for short periods of time.

I think I mentioned before that my recliner was my "best friend" for a long time. I slept in it for a couple of weeks after both surgeries. Managed to get some quality sleep, too. I'm a back sleeper, though, so not sleeping on my side was never a problem as it is for so many.

As for the Zimmer procedure (2 incision), I am fortunate to live in a city where the surgeon who "invented" the concept does at least 10 or more hips a week. My daughter works on his surgical floor where she sees his patients post-op....and most of them leave the hospital within 2 days....young and old alike. He was in New York perfecting this procedure when I had my first hip done, but my surgeon at that time was also excellent.

Regardless of surgical approach, the most important factor is that you have complete confidence in your surgeon's abilities. Now, relax, take a deep breath and know that you will wake up with a shiny new hip and no more bone-on-bone grinding pain!!

Lovely that you were a vocal music teacher. Do you know of Westminster Choir College in Princeton? It's on the Rider University campus. My boss's grandmother founded the college many years ago in Ohio. How about Mildred Posvar? She taught opera for many years here locally and is still very involved in the community. Interesting.......

xoxoxoxoxo
Linda

Old 12-11-2007, 11:31 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Linda:

No arms on computer chair and don't have a recliner, and like to sleep on my left side! Sounds Like I am headed for big trouble! I do know about extending the involved leg when sitting. Have been doing good reading in the booklet sent by the hospital and thinking about and practicing things like that.

I am not familiar with the college you mention nor the woman singer.

I am comfortable with my hip surgeon - he did the knee surgery for my internist's mother and I figure that is a fine recommendation.

The hospital is highly recommended and I have great confidence in it. My daughter has an RN friend who has arranged to be on duty during my days in the hospital. That helps too.

My daughter and grand daughter will be on hand to help. Grand daughter's boyfriend's grandfather to be in the same hospital for knee surgery about the same time as I am there. Small world. All systems are Go.

Sure appreciate your postings, Linda. Thanks. You all are

Shirley H.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:39 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User

Godspeed Shirley.....

Old 12-11-2007, 11:44 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smile Re: why is the muscles in the thigh so sore after hip replacement surgery

Thanks, Linda!

Shirley H.

Old 12-21-2007, 05:13 PM   #11
(female)

JUDYB44 HB User

Hope You Are Doing Alright. I Had My Replacement July 10th, 2007. I Was Up And Around On A Walker The First Week, Cane 2nd Week, By Myself The 3rd Week And Went Back To Work After 21 Days. I Won't Say That Was Easy, But I Really Pushed Myself. Everyday I Could See An Improvement.

Getting In And Out Of A Van Was Hard. Also I Was Told Not To Bend Over For 6 Weeks. So I Go A Grabber From Walmarts. I Was Able To Put My Underwear On And My Slacks On With This. I Used It To Get Laundry Out Of The Dryer, You Would Be Amazed What You Can Do.

I Really Have A Different View Of Handicap People Now. So Much You Have To Adjust To.

After 6 Months, I Still Can't Sleep On My Right Side. The Incision Is Still Tender. I Get Stiff When Riding Or Sitting For Even 30 Min. But I Was Told 1 Full Year To Full Recovery.

The Main Thing Is To Do Walk, Walk , Walk. Do The Exercises.

Old 12-21-2007, 05:36 PM   #12
(female)

JUDYB44 HB User

Shirley, I would be carefull bending over making the bed. I was told not to bend over for 6 weeks. I used a grabber to get whatever I needed. I was very lucky to have a husband that was able to help me.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:09 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smile Re: why is the muscles in the thigh so sore after hip replacement surgery

Dear Judy:

Thanks for the warning about not making the bed. The darn bed is just going to be left open all the time! I have no intention of jeopardizing my recovery for the sake of neatness! Since I don't exactly get dirty every day and wear clean clothes, I trust bed won't get too dirty. Am able to take sponge bath every day - stand without problems. Am going to have grab bars installed in shower but won't be able to shower for a while yet.

I got home Saturday the 29th I believe it was from rehab after December 12 right hip replacement. No blood transfusion needed and surgery went well and post op x-rays perfect. Surgeon pleased. Have had no incision problems.

I was at rehab for about two weeks and very glad to be there. They worked us hard in P. T. and it sure helped things fast. I am able to get my meals myself although very slowly but that is OK. Keep pan in sink with dishwashing liquid and am able to wash up dishes and put in drainer in adjoining sink. Don't want to use dishwasher since it requires bending.

I use my grabber a lot and for washer and dryer - great for that. Have great sock putter on=er and leg lifter. Have great dressing stick too. Leg lifter marvelous and couldn't do without it. Still using walker but will go to cane when I feel ready. Already have permission to drive but will drive only to doctors' appointments. Bottom sore right now from sitting too long at the computer so will answer other posts when I can. Thanks for everything, folks. All your hints and tips sure have helped and couldn't have done without them. More later.

Shirley H.

Closed Thread