It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2007, 05:00 PM   #1
(female)

Marie5656 HB User
Losing Weight after surgery

I am having my hip replacement at the end of January. I am overweight (about 270lbs) and so far have lost about 25 pounds. My surgeon does not seem concerned that I still have alot of weight to lose, saying I will definatly lose more once I am more mobile.
Has anyone else had experiences with this? I just read an article this evening that overweight females may have more post surgery problems, because of the weight. But if I continue to lose weight, will problems still be an issue?
I have always been heavy, but I also used to be able to walk alot more, and be on my feet longer without pain. By the way, I am 5 ft 6 inches tall.
So, what goals should I set for myself?

Last edited by Marie5656; 12-26-2007 at 05:01 PM.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:06 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

MoLu HB User
Re: Losing Weight after surgery

Hi Marie-
Please don't worry too much about your weight. I'm heavy like you and have had 3 major knee surgeries in the past 2 years and am at home right now recovering from a hysterectomy. I have not had a lick of problems due to my weight. I know we are at a higher risk because of the weight but in general I'm a very healthy person so everything has healed very well. I too have been losing some weight before this last surgery. Trying to help my knees feel better and then this came along. Still losing but boy what a struggle thru the holidays. Hope you continue to lose some weight to make it all easier. Good luck with your upcoming surgery.
Molu

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2008, 05:00 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User

Dear Marie:

Congratulations on having lost weight so far! It is very hard to lose weight when we can't be walking much because of pain. Keep doing whatever you are doing to have lost the weight so far. I myself need to lose some pounds - I want to be easier on my joints. I too have not been able to lose while not being able to walk since about May of 2007. I am concentrating on eating veggies, keeping away from sweets, drinking skim milk, sticking to whole grain bread and cereals - in other words - eating a well balanced diet. Smaller portions than we are accustomed to help, too. Use smaller plates too.
You are doing well, Marie.

Shirley H.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:00 PM   #4
(female)

Marie5656 HB User

Yhanks for the support, Shirley. It helps that my husband is Diabetic. Well, not that Diabetes is a good thing, but we keep a rather healthy kitchen because of it. Lots of veggies, grain breads, and such. My one indulgence...sugar free hot cocoa. Love it.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:08 PM   #5
(female)

ZiaSophia HB User

I just watched a TKR surgery at youtube. The surgeon said that almost all knee and hip replacment patients are overweight. They want you to be as light as possible because the surgery goes a little quicker. However, if your surgeon is experienced in replacing hips, do not worry: he is totally experienced working with overweight patients.

Z

Closed Thread