It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2008, 03:00 PM   #1
(male)

Davis28 HB User
So should I play on my knees or not?

Ok here is the thing. All of my life I had lifted heavy weights on the leg press. For the first time about three years ago, I took about six months off from the gym. When I returned I simply jumped on the leg press and lifted heavy thinking nothing of it since the weight felt light. However afterwards my knees hurt and were swollen. I figured no big deal I must have just tweaked them, and waited for the swelling and pain to go away. However I didn't realize that the pain and swelling would always come back when I played basketball. So my knees were really bad for years and I played wearing braces. I played through the pain and it was like a miracle that they had stopped hurting and I was even able to dunk again. They never felt completely strong and perfect but there was no more pain or swelling.

Last Saturday I went back on the leg press, and didn't lift as heavy as I used to but did lift heavy. Then the following monday I played basketball with no problems. However Tuesday morning my right knee has no swelling but there is pain. I took a week off and still today there is pain. So since I recovered while playing last time, I wonder if I should just play through the pain and hopefully the knee will be ok? Oh I forgot to mention before when I had the serious pain in the knees I would take months off from any leg excercises and when my knees felt perfect I would play again to have all of the pain come back. So that is why I am not sure if taking time off will do the trick.

I wonder about surgery but last year I visited an Ortho and all he did was bend my leg for less than a minute and told me to take it easy. I am not really confident that such a brief examination held all of the answers to the problem. What do you recommend that I do? I have insurance with Bluecross Blueshield but they are pretty shady it seems like they pick and choose what they want to cover since when I go to the doctor for a simple sore throat I receive a $700 medical bill whereas other times I only owe the $30 co-pay.

Last edited by Davis28; 01-14-2008 at 03:03 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2008, 12:17 PM   #2
(male)

shipper50 HB User
Re: So should I play on my knees or not?

I am new to the boards, but since you dont say how old you are, my question would be do you really need to lift heavy?

I am a retired steelworker of 57 and never had any problems with my knees till this past May. I was going to a National bowling tournament and just before I left, I had swelling and pain in my slide knee which is my left.

Long story short, coritzone shots didnt work, had TKR on 9-17-07 and now can only move the knee about 65-70% and its still swollen. Doctors think it will take time.

So my suggestion would be stop the heavy leg work and just use tone weight. The last thing you want in the world is to have surgery and it go bad as it seems there are many like me out there.

Shipper

Old 01-24-2008, 02:50 PM   #3
(female)

leeleelanilou HB User

My suggestion is to find a different doctor. There's so much more you could be doing to get your knees back. If you can't afford to go in again, search the Net for some simple Physical Therapy exercises to strenghten the muscles around the knees. If you hurt your knees again remember the RICE thing- Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. Maybe you're taking on too much weight all at once. Maybe try to build up slowly?
Shipper's right, I had a TKR over 2 years ago & have been in worse pain for the past 20 months than I was before surgery. I may have a loose prosthesis which means to fix it, I'll have to have another surgery. The outcome of the second surgery may be worse than the first so for now, I'm living with the pain & using a cane.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:47 AM   #4
(male)

Davis28 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipper50 View Post
I am new to the boards, but since you dont say how old you are, my question would be do you really need to lift heavy?

I am a retired steelworker of 57 and never had any problems with my knees till this past May. I was going to a National bowling tournament and just before I left, I had swelling and pain in my slide knee which is my left.

Long story short, coritzone shots didnt work, had TKR on 9-17-07 and now can only move the knee about 65-70% and its still swollen. Doctors think it will take time.

So my suggestion would be stop the heavy leg work and just use tone weight. The last thing you want in the world is to have surgery and it go bad as it seems there are many like me out there.

Shipper

Sorry to have left that out I am 28 years old. I used to lift heavy so I could jump higher in basketball. Teammates seem to love you when you are able to grab almost every rebound and block others. When I lift light it feels like there is no resistance at all as if I am just moving my leg in the air since my muscles are strong but my knee joints are not.

Last edited by Davis28; 01-28-2008 at 11:49 AM.

Closed Thread