It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2008, 11:42 AM   #1
(female)

crj2008 HB User
Questions re: Spinal & Epidural for Total Hip Replacement Surgery

My mother-in-law is going in for THR on Feb 6 and is quite anxious about being "awake" during surgery. She's been told that she will remain "awake" due to the fact that they will be doing an Epidural and a Spinal on her instead of General Anaesthesia. I have researched and found that normally the patient is given a sedative, but she's concerned that she will still be aware of what is going on during the surgery. Is there anyone who has had this surgery NOT using General Anaesthesia who can provide their experiences and maybe some reassuring advice? She's concerned that when they go to dislocate the hip during surgery, that she will wake up...
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:42 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Tobias HB User
Re: Questions re: Spinal & Epidural for Total Hip Replacement Surgery

Not to worry. It's typical to give sedation along with the spinal block. The patient will remember nothing. I had general for my hip replacements but I recently had sedation for oral surgery procedure and I remembered absolutely nothing. Great stuff - you don't feel groggy when you wake up. You also lose less blood with spinal blocks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2008, 03:33 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User
Re: Questions re: Spinal & Epidural for Total Hip Replacement Surgery

Dear crj:

During the pre op prep for my right hip replacement, the anesthetist came in and discussed types of anesthesia. Spinal block was brought up and I decided with my daughter's help to have that, in addition to whatever else would be given. I had mentioned to the doctor that after my hysterectomy I woke up slightly nauseated and I think that is how the spinal block came up. I had no nausea upon waking up in the recovery room.

I didn't feel a thing before or after the surgery, and am glad I went with the spinal. Having the needle injection was not painful. I had seen this on TV a lot in those childbirth programs so was familiar with it. Having seen it helped.

So anyway, that was my experience with the spinal block. I would do it again.

Shirley H.

Closed Thread