It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2009, 01:06 PM   #166
(female)

churchlady1937 HB User
Re: Total Knee Replacement: Recovery

That is normal. It will be a year or so before things will get back to normal, and you will feel that the knee is a part of you. Oh yes, it still will react to every oncoming storm! Go figure!

Old 08-12-2009, 06:30 PM   #167
(female)

eriu40 HB User
Re: Total Knee Replacement: Recovery - Things I wish I knew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyscout View Post
I can't thank you enough for your advise. You and another person both mentioned that I'm living with something that is going to only get worse as oposed to going through the pain and getting a future that will allow me to go back to the life I love. Thank you! Decision made. I have already had orthoscopic five years ago (and that eliminated backpacking), 2 sets of 3 injections and cortisone. TKR is the only thing left. Thanks.
Good luck! Let us know how everything goes!

I want to vacation with fantail this year! Sounds like a blast!

I'm headed to Ireland two weeks from tomorrow. I hope I can handle the six hour plane ride and that I'm able to do a little walking around. I go every year and usually hightail it all over the island. Maybe it'll be nice to see it at a slower pace. I just hope I don't disappoint my sister, who has only been there once before. I hope I don't have too much pain while I'm there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2009, 10:42 PM   #168
(female)

fantail HB Userfantail HB Userfantail HB User

Eriu40 I went to Australia 5 weeks ago (3.5 hour flight) and wore a compression bandage on my knee with flight socks over the top. It worked a treat and my leg coped really well - took it easy for the first day but did lots of walking from the second. Did do some of my static exercises while sitting on the plane to keep things moving too. Hope this helps. Would love to visit Ireland one day - have seen the rest of the UK but didn't get across to Ireland. Maybe one day you could come down this way and see the 'bottom of the world'.

Last edited by fantail; 08-12-2009 at 10:43 PM.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:02 AM   #169
(female)

eriu40 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantail View Post
Eriu40 I went to Australia 5 weeks ago (3.5 hour flight) and wore a compression bandage on my knee with flight socks over the top. It worked a treat and my leg coped really well - took it easy for the first day but did lots of walking from the second. Did do some of my static exercises while sitting on the plane to keep things moving too. Hope this helps. Would love to visit Ireland one day - have seen the rest of the UK but didn't get across to Ireland. Maybe one day you could come down this way and see the 'bottom of the world'.
Fantail, thanks for the advice re: compression bandage. What are flight socks, though?

I spent six weeks in Australia back in 1997, but only got to see your beautiful, green country in a three-hour peek out the airport window while on a layover there. Since, that just won't cut it, I will have to come back and do it again someday, but this time, actually leave the airport!

Ireland is so beautiful! I've been to Scotland, Wales, England, and the Isle of Man, but I still have to say that Ireland is my very, very favorite. I'm addicted and have to go every year to feed that addiction. This will be the first time I won't be able to hike all over the place. It also demonstrates to me how quickly I went downhill in the last 10 months before my knee replacement. Last year in September, I climbed Knocknarea (little mountain...a hill really—about 1800 feet or so) and hiked the Cliffs of Moher from the visitor center down to Hag's Head, which is a six mile round trip. Right before my surgery, 9 months later, it was agony to walk through the parking lot at work. To the person who was wondering whether or not to wait for the knee replacement (LadyScout), sometimes you lose what you have FAST, and your decision gets made for you.

I can't even imagine what Ireland will be like for me next year, one year out. Wow.

Last edited by eriu40; 08-13-2009 at 03:05 AM. Reason: typo

Old 08-13-2009, 05:10 AM   #170
(female)

junebea HB User

It is so disheartening to me to read all your succeses because I am so disappointed with my TKR. I am at 14 weeks and only 95 flex. My ortho says I may never get any better. I am grateful that the pain is better than preop right now, but post surgery was much worse than the pain I had from the arthritis and I was bone on bone. Luckily, my other knee is great. Although, I am experiencing some pain when I go down stairs in it. But unless it gets much worse, I will not have it replaced. I do not want to end up with 2 knees at 95.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:20 AM   #171
(female)

dpbruner HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebea View Post
It is so disheartening to me to read all your succeses because I am so disappointed with my TKR. I am at 14 weeks and only 95 flex. My ortho says I may never get any better. I am grateful that the pain is better than preop right now, but post surgery was much worse than the pain I had from the arthritis and I was bone on bone. Luckily, my other knee is great. Although, I am experiencing some pain when I go down stairs in it. But unless it gets much worse, I will not have it replaced. I do not want to end up with 2 knees at 95.
I wonder what kind of therapist you had after your surgery? My therapist after 10 days in a rehab hospital has really pushed me hard. At almost 9 weeks I'm at 115 when she arrives at the house and 122 today when she left. Do keep going with the therapy and you'll see a change!

Old 08-13-2009, 12:30 PM   #172
Senior Veteran
(male)

keil HB Userkeil HB Userkeil HB Userkeil HB User

only 95 degrees at 14 weeks??? I am at 8 weeks and 115 degrees flex.
are you doing ALL the exercises adn going to therapy? I am going to PT 3 times a week and have home exercises on my "off days" are they (PT) putting you on the flex machine? either the one where you lay in bed or the sitting up style will help.
good luck and keep up the exercises
Keil

Old 08-13-2009, 02:54 PM   #173
(female)

ladyscout HB User

You are so right. Two months ago my knee would just randomly buckle out from under me because the injections wore off. I got 3 more injections and my knee is better (but ins. is saying they won't pay for this set because "it doesn't work"). I'm figuring I better get the TKR at the end of Oct. when I finish my 68 mile Lighthouse Metric Century on my bike and my 16 day cruise to Costa Rica, Panama, Columbia, etc. My next trip isn't till June of next year and I figure after reading all these posts that I should be able to enjoy St. Martin or Thomas. Couldn't be more thankful that I stumbled onto this site!

Old 08-13-2009, 03:00 PM   #174
(female)

eriu40 HB User

Quote:
Junebea, everyone goes at their own pace. I've read such varying accounts of when people get their flexion back. For some people, it comes quickly, for some it takes longer. Some people end up with 150°+ and some never get more than 100°. I think the most important thing is the pain relief.

I agree with dpbruner. It's good to have a bossy physical therapist who pushes you a bit. I am four weeks post-op, and yesterday I hit 120° with my PT saying, "Is that all you've got to give me? C'mon! I know you've got more than that!" and then I pushed to 123°. But, I am also only 47, and I also do the exercises until I'm nearly in tears. I HATE the pain, but I figure I have to go through it if I want the maximum amount of knee function back.

My post-op pain was, and still is, much worse than my pre-op pain, but I know that is temporary. I've read that it can take up to a year before you feel completely normal again.

Keep working at it, and take every degree that comes to you. Get a bossier PT, if need be, or be your own boss and push the daylights out of yourself, if that's not possible. And, be kind to yourself

Old 08-13-2009, 03:02 PM   #175
Senior Veteran
(male)

keil HB Userkeil HB Userkeil HB Userkeil HB User

I had the shots too, they work great but only a "short term" fix. go for the TKR, yes its painful post - op but worth the quality of life afterwards...
keil

Old 08-14-2009, 02:18 AM   #176
(male)

itsanewday HB User

Quote:
junebea,

Are you using a NuStep and Total Gym to work on your flex? If not these, then what procedures are being used?

Old 08-14-2009, 04:56 AM   #177
(female)

eriu40 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsanewday View Post
junebea,

Are you using a NuStep and Total Gym to work on your flex? If not these, then what procedures are being used?
NewDay, what are these?

Old 08-14-2009, 08:54 AM   #178
(female)

pbselk HB User

Junebea, don't beat yourself up! Everyone is different. I was really worried early on because I left the hospital with only 65 flexion. My first PT was very aggressive. Sessions were hell and I gained only a few degrees. Swelling was vicious. I never stopped the therapist, but the agony in treatments was a fearful thing. He told me I had "one of those knees" that would never recover - WRONG! Then I switched PT and it has been excellent since. He works me hard, but not beyond what I can bear. I am at 12 weeks and 115 flexion, and stilll improving every session.
Every knee is different and every circumstance. Your pain threshold may be very low - mine is too.

I work hard at this leg. I have to - the other one is in very bad shape and I am waiting for a call any day to get in to have it replaced. My non-surgery leg makes it very difficult to do a lot of the strenghtening, etc. we'd like to do, but the second surgery will change that.

I had a brother-in-law that had 100 flexion on both of his legs each time he left the hospital after his TKR. That isn't me. I'm much slower, but I continue to improve and this leg is already a God-send to me, even though it is months out from complete recovery. Time and diligence are all you can bring to the table. The rest will be what it will be - but the pain will be gone!

Do not let anyone else's progress get you down. You can't afford it. However, it might not hurt to check into another therapist; be sure to find one you can really trust. That is key!
Take heart and good luck!

Last edited by pbselk; 08-15-2009 at 08:57 AM.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:05 AM   #179
(female)

pbselk HB User

My second TKR has been delayed and I am going to have to travel at 7-8 weeks post op. 7 hr flight. Has anyone advice for what to do for the leg and how it went for them? I should have been at 12 wks, but my surgery was bumped. I am very concerned, but can NOT avoid this travelling.

This forum has helped me so much with the first leg and it is doing very well. Now this problem/barrier. Anything you can tell me would be gratefully appreciated.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:44 AM   #180
(female)

eriu40 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbselk View Post
My second TKR has been delayed and I am going to have to travel at 7-8 weeks post op. 7 hr flight. Has anyone advice for what to do for the leg and how it went for them? I should have been at 12 wks, but my surgery was bumped. I am very concerned, but can NOT avoid this travelling.
PBSelk, I will be traveling on the 27th at six weeks post-op with a six-hour flight. I've had some advice from fantail re: wearing compression stockings and doing exercises while in my seat. I'll let you know how it goes.

By the way, those were wise words of advice to junebea. Well-said.

Closed Thread