It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2009, 08:20 PM   #91
(male)

itsanewday HB User
Re: Total Knee Replacement: Recovery - Things I wish I knew!

eriu40,... At 8 weeks PO (right TKR) I was sawing up large trees with a chainsaw, tossing the cut sections up onto the bank of a ditch. I carried my heaviest saw up and down the ditch... which I couldn't do a year ago. When the fluid in the knee got to be too much for comfort, I quit to return the next day to work on the trees. Hope you have good luck with recovery.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:37 PM   #92
(female)

junebea HB User

Yes, I use the ice machine; but have a hard time sitting with it on for more than an hour at a time. I try and do it at least 2 hours a day. I don't know about the compression sock. I can't stand to have anything tight around me knee even tight pants bother me. My knee is so sensitive to touch. I have tried using the ice machine at night, but am such a light sleeper that the pump keeps me awake.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2009, 12:03 AM   #93
(female)

junebea HB User

Thanks ever so much Iwillsurvive, your compression stocking thingy worked wonderfully. I spent all day on the 4th (except 2 hours in the pool) with one on with very little pain and I spent the day walking and with my leg down way more than I normally do. I really appreciate the suggestion and will definetly use it when I go back to work in 3 weeks. Again, I can't thank you enough!

Old 07-05-2009, 07:37 PM   #94
(female)

TriCin HB User

I am so excited!! I am 3 months post surgery on the 7th of July and am finally feeling like I have made some headway! I still have pain and swelling but it seems it is bending easier and it is more of a heavy ache than actual pain! If that makes any sense.I just had to share I am so thrilled!

Old 07-05-2009, 08:05 PM   #95
(female)

ginnypan1 HB User

Hi eriu40! I'm 48, and had TKR on 5/12/09, I'll be 8 weeks PO on Tuesday! I had a knee injury in my mid 20's that required some ligament and quad surgery. I was told I was a good candidate for TKR two years ago, but silly me, I put it off! I was barely able to walk by the time I finally broke down and decided to get the surgery. I did not have full ROM due to the prior surgery, and had developed a terrible limp, and a very weird gait. I was living on etodolac, a OA drug. Eight weeks post surgery, I have 103 ROM, still working on it though. I had a walker the first week post surgery, and then went to a cane which I only use now if I'm out and about in a crowd of people or if there are curbs that I might need help with. PT is great, I go 3x per week. My husband is a little over protective, so I have not driven yet, but plan to see how it goes in an MT parking lot tomorrow. Doc said play it by ear after 6 weeks... We need a banister on our basement steps so I have not really been down in the basement yet...
If you can do any straight leg raises before surgery, get started NOW!!! It can only help after! Good Luck!

Old 07-05-2009, 08:09 PM   #96
(female)

ginnypan1 HB User

It's totally worth it!!! The post surgical pain is terrible for a couple of days, the stiffness is uncomfortable, but not painful. I really wish I had done it sooner!

Old 07-05-2009, 08:11 PM   #97
(female)

ginnypan1 HB User

Wow, itsanewday! 133 ROM! That rocks! In four months! I hope I get there!

Old 07-05-2009, 08:29 PM   #98
(female)

ginnypan1 HB User

I had my TKR on May 12, 2009! So glad to hear that I am not the only cry baby! It was definitely the drugs! I also got a terrible headache from my pain pills, thank goodness I haven't needed them for the past 3 - 4 weeks!
I am 8 weeks out and have a ROM of 103ish... I have almost no swelling, and no pain at all... I do have stiffness... I'm hoping to be able to play tennis NEXT summer! I still have a weird gate due to the pre surgery pain I was in which caused me to walk funny, BAD habit! I'm finding it difficult to walk normal! But I'm getting there!
You may be able to appeal for more PT! I had alot of muscle cramping prior to surgery, but have not had ANY post!

Last edited by ginnypan1; 07-05-2009 at 08:31 PM.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:00 AM   #99
(female)

IWillSurvive HB UserIWillSurvive HB UserIWillSurvive HB User

Junebea, I am so glad you tried the compression sleeve, I knew it would work for you! Learn to love it, it will be your new best friend. I hunted online until I found them for about $10/pair in white so I have a lot. I also got some great glue called It Stays that is a roll on and keeps the stocking from rolling, washes right off with water.

When you go back to work, make sure even if you aren't wearing one, you have a spare in your handbag so if you notice your leg starting to swell you put it on right away. My best suggestion is to put the comporession sleeve on BEFORE you swell, it works better and won't cut off circulation. I used mine for PT and it was easier to get flexion and also used it in my pool, pool exercises are great for TKR recovery. I

f you find your scar is sensitive, you can use a simple gauze pad over the incision and then the stocking won't rub. Also have your PT teach you how to rub the scar tissue with a terry towel, sounds crazy but your scar can be very sensitive and you have to desensitize it, only takes a few minutes at a time and you will notice a dramatic improvement in a few days. Often PT forgets to tell you this little secret and having anything touch your scar can be a killer unless you desensitize it.

Continue with the recovery and just remember that it takes time but you will get there, only person you need to be in a race with is yourself. I have done this 3 times and each time it does get better because I know more about my body and learn more tricks. I guess practice makes perfect, sort of like nursing babies, the first one is the hardest, lol.

Last edited by moderator2; 07-06-2009 at 02:43 PM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s) - please read the posting rules

Old 07-06-2009, 05:53 PM   #100
(female)

eriu40 HB User

Hi Ginnypan,

Thanks so much for sharing your experience, as it sounds very similar to mine. I didn't have an injury, but was diagnosed with arthritis in my knee when I was 32. I'm now at the point where I can barely walk, and much of the pain I'm having is from the sciatica that they tell me I have from my wacky gait. The surgery is 9 days away, and couldn't come soon enough. I'm so tired of being in pain. I can't wait to hike again. I used to be a big hiker before things started getting really bad a few years ago.

Has anyone done any hiking post-op? If so, how has that gone? What distances are you able to go?

Thanks.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:26 PM   #101
(female)

Elizabeth49 HB User

Do you think you would have been better to only have one knee done at a time? I am preparing for surgery and need both knees done but my surgeon only does one at a time. I am going for a 2nd opinion. I do have rheumatoid arthritis, which is the reason for my degeneration. Not sure whether having two done at once, with the recovery involved, is what I should do, but if I have to go off my meds (for the RA) I will be very stiff and physiotherapy will be much more difficult. Think I would like to only go through it once. Any suggestions?

Old 07-07-2009, 12:35 AM   #102
(female)

eriu40 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsanewday View Post
eriu40,... At 8 weeks PO (right TKR) I was sawing up large trees with a chainsaw, tossing the cut sections up onto the bank of a ditch. I carried my heaviest saw up and down the ditch... which I couldn't do a year ago. When the fluid in the knee got to be too much for comfort, I quit to return the next day to work on the trees. Hope you have good luck with recovery.
Holy cow, New Day! I just want to be able to take a walk through the trees, and you're carrying heavy chainsaws, climbing ditches, and tossing tree trunks around at eight weeks! That's inspiring! Thanks!

Old 07-07-2009, 05:20 AM   #103
(female)

junebea HB User

My sleeve doesn't seem to rub. I appreciate the tip about rubbing the scar with a towel. My PT did show me how to massage it, but it still is sensitive. Apparently, you posted a website for the TED's or glue and they were edited out. Could you send them to me via private message?

Old 07-07-2009, 06:50 AM   #104
(female)

KatyHex HB User

Elizabeth,

I only had one done and it was quite challenging. I am glad now that my doctor would not do both at once. My father had both his done at once but he did not go home straight from the hospital. He went to a rehab center for a couple of weeks. If you are able to talk your doctor into doing both at once, arrange to go to a rehab center. PT is hard enough to do on your own with one knee, I wouldn't even attempt it with two replacements at once.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:06 PM   #105
(female)

eriu40 HB User

Ginnypan, did you have a left or right TKR? I'm having a left, which I HOPE will have me back driving as soon as I don't need pain meds. I can see how a right knee replacement would take longer, though.

Closed Thread