It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2008, 02:49 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User
Dumb Question--Removing Compression Stockings Without Help

Is there a trick to removing compression stockings without assistance after surgery. I understand that after surgery I'll probably be required to wear them for a few weeks. I can see how you can put them on with a sock aid, but how can they be removed if you don't have someone to assist? I feel dumb asking this question, but it's puzzling me. I just can't see how you'd do it without violating restrictions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2008, 04:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User
Re: Dumb Question--Removing Compression Stockings Without Help

Hi larimergirl:

I am delighted to be able to tell you that yes, there is a way to remove the TEDS (elastic stockings) without any help from another person!
Purchase a "Dressing stick"!

This is like a slim dowel, with two very ample, padded, hooks, on one end, and one of these you stick in the top of the TED, and push it down over your foot. Then pick up the TED stocking with your good old reacher. This is Duck Soup. It sure solves the problem. Please buy a stick.

Before I purchased the dressing stick I too wondered how I would manage getting the stockings off when I got home, because I live alone. You can see what the dressing stick looks like - type in the words on your search engine, whichever one you use, and you will find several sites with pictures. This dressing stick is the best thing since sliced bread! You can order over the Internet if you don't have a medical supply store near you. That is what I did.

Get one!

Shirley H.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2008, 06:14 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Tobias HB User

I was given a gizmo called a "dressing stick". It was included in my "kit" along with a reacher & sock helper. It has two hooks on the end pointing in different directions. One hook points to the end of the stick. That's the one that can be used to push off sox, pants, etc.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:52 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User

Thanks. Didn't think of that. Will check internet immediately! I am focusing now on small things and questions that I might be too shy to actually ask anyone in person! Y'all have hit the nail on the head--most of my worries are those concerning living alone and being independent. My family members will come to stay for a few weeks and friends have volunteered to help, but I know I will want to be as independent as possible after a few weeks and want to be able to cope by myself if I have to do so.

You guys are great!

Old 04-04-2008, 04:52 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User

Hi again, larimergirl:

I forgot to add that I am still using the dressing stick to push my regular socks off. I had hip replacement surgery on December 12 but can't bend way down to the floor yet, so need the stick to get these regular sox off. I haven't worn panty hose for years - however, there is also a gadget for getting those on, but I don't plan on wearing any in the near future. I wear slacks all the time, with low heeled shoes.

I spent two weeks at a rehab facility after two days in the hospital. Having my meals made for me was the greatest help I think. Also, having supervised physical therapy twice a day was a great help. I had originally wanted to come right home after the surgery, but realized, when I came to, that there was no way I would be able to do that and get along at home, alone! I was able to do for myself when I did get home, but wish I had had a tray on my walker right away - it would have helped get the food to the table after fixing it myself.
I did get a tray, but by that time I was getting good at balancing the dishes and handling the walker at the same time. But in case I have the other hip done, I now have all the equipment here already.

If you go right home from surgery, you are going to need some help, I think. At least for a week or so, probably. Everything gets easier day by day, I have found. Even now I see improvements every few days. I can now sleep on my operated side and no more tenderness around the incision. Yay! Also walking around home without walker or cane, short distances. Still use walker when I go shopping for groceries, get gas, etc.

It is great that you are able to post here and get tips from those of us who have had THR. I found that reading the extensive stickies about "6 months after THR" was a great help. s

Shirley H.

Closed Thread