It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2008, 10:13 AM   #1
(male)

dg456 HB User
8 Months After ACL/Meniscus Surgery and Still Having Pain

Hi,
I am 31 years old and injured my knee playing football about a year ago. I had ACL reconstruction (allograft) and meniscus repair in August of 2007, approximately 8 months ago. I am done with physical therapy and have been trying to return to sports and regular physical activity. I am able to run, lift weights, etc., however after any strenuous activity I get significant pain, mostly in the back of my knee. The pain is the most intense when my leg is in full extension. I do not have complete range of motion back yet, although I am getting pretty close. My surgeon says that I need to work on stretching my knee more in extension, so I can match the 4 or 5 degrees of hyperextension in my good knee. I can currently straighten my bad knee but I can't get any hyperextension. I have been on a pretty regular stretching regimen and I'm not sure if pain at this point is still normal. Does anyone have any experience with this? It seems like at 8 months post-op, I should be pretty much pain-free.

To complicate matters, the bio-absorbable interference screw the surgeon used in my knee has been taken off the market since my operation. Two weeks ago I had to go back to the surgeon to have some of the screw removed because it was causing aggrivation of the soft tissue below my knee. This was a simple procedure and seems to be healing fine, but it means that I can't do any running or serious athletics for a couple more weeks. I am supposed to be in training for a half marathon, so this is a bit of a problem.

I'm hoping that more stretching and strngthening of my leg is the solution, but I'm nervous that I'm still having pain at this point. Anyone have any advice?

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2009, 10:40 AM   #2
(female)

nabeela HB User
Re: 8 Months After ACL/Meniscus Surgery and Still Having Pain

I would NEVER recommend anyone get this surgery. It is now about 6 months after mine and I have yet to get decent use of my leg back, even after PT. The surgeon's idiot PA told me "most people walk off the table" - NOT!! All they can tell me is yours is a type that only heals with PT - and will not prescribe water therapy. But BEFORE the surgery it was all roses and you will heal in no time. Seriously, do they REALLY care if you recover after they get paid?

Old 01-13-2012, 10:53 PM   #3
(male)

roboknee HB User
Re: 8 Months After ACL/Meniscus Surgery and Still Having Pain

This is my first time replying on this site and I definitely feel your pain. In September 09' I had a severe injury that tore my acl, pcl, partially tore my meniscus, broke snapped both my tibia and fibula in half, and tore my perineal nerve. Needless to say, my leg was essentially snapped in half at the knee. I had reconstructive surgery that seemed to be successful at first. I busted my *** in PT and regained strength and range of motion fairly quickly, but I noticed that the pain towards the back side of my knee was often significantly more painful than the soreness everywhere else. I was also having severe shooting pains, numbness, and my kneecap was getting caught whenever I would bend my knee even slightly fast. After completing PT for 4 months and seeming to be back on track, the pain towards the back of my knee started increased and was more often. After all xrays and other testing came back with no signs of damage, I had to have orthoscopic surgery for them to TRY to figure out what was causing the remaining pain and restrictions. The doctor said he took out enough scar tissue that it looked like it came out of a 70 year old man's damaged knee, not a 23 year old who had surgery only 5 months prior. Apparently you can try too hard to recover. Two years later I am finally going to see a pain management doc b/c i'm tired of living in pain every day. I still have all of the pain that my 2nd surgery was supposed to fix, plus my knee has a chronic aching pain. So to summarize my experience, the human knee is extremely complex and extremely delicate, and I had to learn this the hard way. I've contacted my orthopedic surgeon about the continuous pain and worsening problems but he said "they've done all they can do, with an injury that severe you're just going to have to live with some pain". Great! So hopefully this pain doc will make the pain at least a little more tolerable, but from all of the horror stories I've read here and on other sites I'm not setting my expectations very high. I hope this can be of help to any people in similar situations as me. And I would greatly appreciate any input for me as well.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
(female)

giggz12 HB User
Unhappy Re: 8 Months After ACL/Meniscus Surgery and Still Having Pain

hey, im 19 years old i had my surgery on June 28,2011. i had my ACL, meniscus, PCL and MCL torn.
i did 4 months of PT (3 times per week one hour + each) i worked my butt off in the sessions, and i did a lot of swimming. it all helped me with a really fast recovery. So i was back to basketball in december just running and doing some drills. 1 week ago i started playing harder and i started facing your same problem. My knee hurts in the back and it hurts more when i try to extend it. its not yet back to full motion i.e. hyper-extension is still a problem.

so i guess its normal until we are able to hyper-extend it. because not being able to move in complete motion is causing this (back-knee) pain.

Closed Thread