It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2008, 02:59 AM   #1
(male)

chrisg41 HB User
Post girdlestone hip surgery

hi i'am going to have girdlestone hip surgery in 2 weeks. yes i 'am scared, i bit the bullet and looked on the web and wished i had not!!, i realise i may end up with no hip due to a very bad infection (20 yrs worth). but i have a problem with hospitals. the pain is so bad i've had to give up work and can not walk far without pain or without a stick. i may be looking at a long stay in hospital and don't like the idea but realise they need to get rid of the infection before they can do a replacement, i'am looking up to a year with no hip due to the fact the doc want's to check there is no infection before he replace's the hip. any advise or tips or just funny stories are welcome. feel free to ask questions , i will reply , and i will try to keep you updated on this.

The following user gives a hug of support to chrisg41:
hiphip (05-31-2011)
Old 07-11-2008, 07:21 AM   #2
(female)

lomar HB User
Unhappy Re: girdlestone hip surgery

Hi C41,

How did the girdlestone go? Are you "well" or at least able to work? My last hip replacement, 2004, got infected (strep) I think from a root canal. We did the two step thing - take out the prosthesis, blast the body with antibiotics, then put in a new hip. It's supposedly 85-90% sucessful. Well, I'm in the 10-15 group. The strep is still there and we're keeping it 'stable' with penicillin (for the rest of my life). But, as I continue to feel worse, I'm worried the drug isn't working. Back to Mayo Clinic in two weeks for check up.

A few years ago, an MD at Cleveland Clinic told me I might need a Girdlestone - I had no clue, nor did he. Then he proceeded to tell me how great he was at perfecting the procedure.

You're right about the boards (and my own research), when you read about it, it's not a good feeling.

I'd appreciat hearing your story. lomar

The Following User Says Thank You to lomar For This Useful Post:
judi4616 (10-09-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread