It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2008, 07:53 AM   #1
(female)

juliesul HB User
Other aches/pains before THP--normal?

Hi!
Brief history: I was diagnosed with hip dysplasia 7 month ago. Stopped running, had PT, and 2 months later arthritis kicked in. One cortisone shot lasted a month, the last one (2 weeks ago) did nothing. I have a THP scheduled for my left hip on June 19. The hip pain is tolerable, but the rest of my body seems to be failing me. I wake up with a terribly stiff neck, and the muscles in my good side (right) keep tightening one me. My right hamstring seizes every morning. I can no longer do the stretches I've been doing all along--everything has been modified. Is this normal? Is it just that the rest of my body is overcompensating? I'm so afraid this will happen after the surgery and affect my recovery. Any thoughts/advice?

Old 05-08-2008, 08:21 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User
Re: Other aches/pains before THP--normal?

I have had lots of aches and pains--particularly in my adductor muscles and hip flexor muscles. My hip flexors are now the strongest muscle in my body (or at least feel like they take over for everything!) and they burn sometimes. My adductors are tight like ropes.

My PT explains that the aches and pains are a result of over compensation as the muscles try to make up for my failing right hip. Keep on stretching--that will help and also I highly recommend massages for temporary relief. If I didn't have regular massages, I'd be unable to walk! I'm still very anxious about my surgery which is scheduled for August, but am looking forward to post recovery. A friend of mine in her late 30s just had right hip replaced. She said , three weeks later, that she can literally feel her muscles throughout her body relaxing and unknotting now that they don't have to compensate and that for the first time in years she can literally sit and rest because she's without pain and so her muscles don't have to tighten to protect her hip. She seems not to mind the surgery related aches and pain that much because she was so miserable beforehand.

Good luck.

Maggie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2008, 09:34 AM   #3
(female)

juliesul HB User

Maggie,
Thank you so much for your quick response! I was relieved to read about your friend and feel much less alone now. My PT also thinks my muscles are over-compensating and trying to protect my him--I was just so worried they would fail me later. Glad to hear this is not the case with your friend. Good luck--I too am nervous but hopefully by August will be able to sit at the computer and cheer you on.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:14 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User

I just met with my friend tonight. She had an excellent experience with surgery in India and says she felt more comfortable flying home after the surgery than she did going to India before the surgery (and that's about a 24 hour plane ride, including a several hour layover in London) She is on day 23 post-surgery and her progress to me seems amazing--she even showed me her scar! (It doesn't look bad at all!). She is a physical therapist by profession and so explained her post surgery rehab. She isn't even using a cane now though she keeps one handy in case she needs it. She says that the first day after the surgery was the worst with muscle cramps and just general surgical pain. Then she said that although range of motion improves re joint that she had some very tight muscles that were not automatically going to stretch. She had some very very light massage from her fiance (who is not a therapist but has some experience with massage) to ease muscle cramps first couple days. . She said every day showed improvement and she continues to feel her adductors and other leg/hip muscles "calming down". She seems to have little problems in following the restrictions, but it probably helps a lot that she was in pretty good shape pre-surgery (I think she was a dancer in a former life and is generally athletic).

She also noted that she can sleep on operated side with little discomfort. She attributes this to a tempur-pedic mattress. ( I suspect she also has a high tolerance for pain/discomfort).

It helped me a lot to see her and see with my own eyes how well she was doing. She nagged me for waiting till August, but that is the time that is most convenient for family and work...my date will come soon enough, but I am starting to feel a little more confident about having the surgery...

Maggie

Old 05-22-2008, 07:55 AM   #5
(female)

juliesul HB User

Maggie,
Thanks again for replying. In the past two weeks the my "good" leg has swollen. I've discovered that I have a tear in the meniscus, arthritis, and a Baker's cyst. (So I guess I'll be reading the hip AND knee posts!) All of these may have been aggravated by the over-compensating. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that like your friend, I will recover quickly and with ease. She is really doing well! Because of you response I think I will try to schedule a very light massage from a friend once I'm back home.

Am thinking of you and will keep in touch. My surgery is June 19 and after that I should be back on the computer as soon as I can manage the flight of stairs!

Closed Thread