It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2008, 08:02 PM   #1
(male)

Barry1 HB User
Cool Post TKR 4 months and pain incredible and need manipulation

4 months out from a total; R Knee replacement - pain remains unbelievable can flex to 90 by myself and 100 with severe physical therapy manipulation. Doctor shrugs and says I need manipulation under anesthesia but agrees while doing it he could break the femur or dislodge the knee prosthesis and doesn't guarantee the results. Living on Norcos and the anger I am building up as the TKR was the result of a planned minor meniscus repair gone wrong when (I believe from the records) another doctor mistook me for another patient with terrible arthritis and kidney stones and he removed all the meniscus & cartilage totally, necessitating the TKR one year later by a second surgeon. All I want is my old knee back - but I'd settle for some kind of assurance I might get through manipulation with some semblance of success and relief from pain.Any advice would be oh so gratefully received. My surgeon has the bedside manner (and interest in my wellbeing), of a totally disinterested warthog (Sorry - I am not a happy chap.)

Barry Palm Springs CA

Old 05-24-2008, 10:41 AM   #2
(male)

shipper50 HB User
Re: Post TKR 4 months and pain incredible and need manipulation

My story short, TKR on 9-17-07, knee manipulation on 11-12-07. Surgeon suggested second opinion and went to the best in the state of Indiana. He took out infected knee on 3-18 and now I am up for new knee on 6-3-08. I didnt have the pain you had, but couldnt bend it more than 65 or so. I wouldnt wait one more second, go and find a good doctor who will look into your knee and let us know what you find.

Its a bunch of you know what that we the paitents have to go through all this to find out the hospitial or surgeon just plain screws up and we have to pay the piper.

Shipper

Last edited by shipper50; 05-24-2008 at 10:42 AM. Reason: wrong wording

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2008, 05:04 PM   #3
(male)

Barry1 HB User

Thank you Shipper but I think you had a more raw deal than me. A new knee because of infection. wow. Didn't even think of THAT possibility. I an 4 months out and some say it's too late for manipulation (not my surgeon) have request in for second opinion - meantime living on the pain pills and may be able to see another Dr before my next appt with surgeon June 5. (Kaiser is known for slow appointments). Will say one thing positive for Kaiser - their Riverside CA hospital is one of the cleanest I have ever seen - that coming from a former RN back when Dino's climbed the Hills of Hollywood and I worked in hospitals in Los Angeles. I am an advocate against MRSA - and it was a delight to see every practitioner cleaning their hands every time they came in my room. My problem with surgery and post surgery.... I was promised a CPM machine but didn't get one in hospital (2 days) and had to wait a week after going home before one was delivered - already too late. Then another week and home Physical therapy. If I had only known I would have prearranged to see the physical therapist I have now at a local clinic - he tries so hard and pushes me to the limit of pain - but the knee is pretty much locked down with adhesions. The saga goes on.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:03 AM   #4
(male)

shipper50 HB User

My first surgeon didnt think of an infection either. He just did the manipulation and put me on the CPM and after a month on it and going to a PT for 2.5 months with money out of my pocket he said I should get another opinion. The surgeon I am now seeing is Dr. Berend and he gives speaches all over the country on knees.

He had me take all kind of tests to rule out the infection he found, had a blood test for gout, nerve test in my back to make sure it wasnt a problem there and then finally said we need to go in and see what is there.

I was on heavy antibotics for 2 months with a pic line in my arm and had to have 2 different antibotics to get my blood work down to normal. I have been on a walker since 3-18 and my knee is frozen with a spacer where the knee would be. Cant bend it and any side movement or up and down movement of just the lower leg causes pain.

When this is done and over I will be about one year into this and we all know you only have so many years to live. I would not wait another day after what I found out with mine before I found someone to take a serious look at your knee.

Good luck,
Shipper

Closed Thread