It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2008, 06:56 AM   #1
(male)

GEOxPSU HB User
Knee pain.. trying to self diagnose

Hello all,

So I've been struggling trying to figure out what could possibly be wrong with my right knee, and thought this may be my best bet to maybe get some help. It's so hard to figure it out so I hope that if I describe it the best I can, maybe someone can give me a hint of what it could be or if I should self medicate or seek a doctors opinion.

Right now as I sit here I have a somewhat throbbing feeling in the front of the knee by the knee cap and I have a warm tingling feeling behind the knee. Overall the whole entire knee just feels very uncomfortable and I'm having a hard time concentrating on other things. I know once I get up and walk I will have to limp in order to get going. It just feels like it's very fragile.

It's been like this since Saturday... Thursday and Friday I spent a lot of time running around on the beach and Friday night I was actually squatting for long periods of time which is why i felt sore the next day. But now here we are Tuesday and it is still very bothersome. I also noticed that I get pain that shoots down my shin from time to time.

I noticed that since last year around this time I'd hear a clicking noise in my knee if I were to angle it at 90 degrees (squatting or getting down on my knees). I bend it and it clicks and then I make it straight and it clicks again. Almost as if a bone is loose, I dont know.

Anyway, I can't really tell if there's inflammation or anything. It doesn't hurt me when i touch the knee or massage around it. Basically everything involves movement.

Can anyone help maybe figure out what it could be? I hope my description was good enough and I appreciate any advice.... thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2008, 09:50 AM   #2
(male)

ksc2231 HB User
Re: Knee pain.. trying to self diagnose

I had a problem like that in 1992. It eventually got to where it would pop out of place and cause excruciating pain. Went to Ortho who said I had torn cartillage. Underwent arthoscopic surgery the next week. Was told all cartillage had to be removed. That I should recover within 6 weeks. Was also told I would need a new knee within 5 yrs. Believe it or not, after surgery, I drove home using my left leg. I returned to my job as a coca cola salesman about 5 working days later and have never had any other problems with my knees. Good luck with yours....ksc2231

Old 07-08-2008, 09:54 AM   #3
(male)

GEOxPSU HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksc2231 View Post
I had a problem like that in 1992. It eventually got to where it would pop out of place and cause excruciating pain. Went to Ortho who said I had torn cartillage. Underwent arthoscopic surgery the next week. Was told all cartillage had to be removed. That I should recover within 6 weeks. Was also told I would need a new knee within 5 yrs. Believe it or not, after surgery, I drove home using my left leg. I returned to my job as a coca cola salesman about 5 working days later and have never had any other problems with my knees. Good luck with yours....ksc2231
Thanks so much for the reply. That is certainly something that I didn't expect to read from someone. Obviously it may be different but I'm just feeling way to uncomfortable right now. I'm afraid to even put all my weight on it.

I'm 24 yrs old... and I already have degenerative disc disease in my lower back, and now this. I should not be falling apart!!

But reading this just gives me more reason to see a doctor and go from there. I'd be stupid to ignore it and risk doing further damage...

Old 07-08-2008, 10:26 AM   #4
(female)

leeann123456 HB User

I had it where out of the blue i started getting really bad pain with my knee, it was doing it literally maybe once a year for almost 4 years until it just came fully involved. I had pain that radiated from back to front ( the back part of my knee hurt more than the front) So we always figured the back part has the problem. My knee started to pop whenever i bent down squatted etc, it was doing that as well when it stayed in position for to long, or if it was bent at a certain angle i could feel the pressure almost like it was building and to make it stop you'd have to make it crack, Which turned out to be my knee cap going back into place. I ended up finding out after going through two ortho's that it did need to be fixed surgically. Six weeks after seeing my second ortho had the surgery, now a month post-op and feeling much better ! Now to get my right done.

But in general like my first ortho said, so many problems can cause the knee to crack its hard to pinpoint

Old 07-08-2008, 10:35 AM   #5
(male)

GEOxPSU HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeann123456 View Post
I had it where out of the blue i started getting really bad pain with my knee, it was doing it literally maybe once a year for almost 4 years until it just came fully involved. I had pain that radiated from back to front ( the back part of my knee hurt more than the front) So we always figured the back part has the problem. My knee started to pop whenever i bent down squatted etc, it was doing that as well when it stayed in position for to long, or if it was bent at a certain angle i could feel the pressure almost like it was building and to make it stop you'd have to make it crack, Which turned out to be my knee cap going back into place. I ended up finding out after going through two ortho's that it did need to be fixed surgically. Six weeks after seeing my second ortho had the surgery, now a month post-op and feeling much better ! Now to get my right done.

But in general like my first ortho said, so many problems can cause the knee to crack its hard to pinpoint
The "popping" has been there for more than a year now.. but now I'm starting to deal with some pain... it's obvious I should get it looked at before something worse occurs..

It's amazing how uncomfortable it feels... and as a golfer it amazes me even more what Tiger Woods did... beyond amazing...

Old 07-10-2008, 09:40 AM   #6
(male)

GEOxPSU HB User

Hi all.. just a quick update..

it's been 6 days now and the pain seems to become more bothersome. I have got to the point where I don't even try to put full weight on it and it becomes uncomfortable so even sit or walk. Car rides are kind of interesting too..

Only thing I can think of that I did is some ligament damage. There doesn't appear to be swelling on the outside of the knee... but my knee just feels like jello.. or like nothing is even there anymore.

I mean I guess I should be happy I can still walk, but I'm sure I'm not helping out whatever could be wrong. Unlucky for me I didnt have health insurance and was approved yesterday.. so I hope to get my information so I can sched an appt to see a doc ASAP...

Old 07-11-2008, 07:30 AM   #7
(male)

WALLEYE HB User
Wink Re: Knee pain.. trying to self diagnose

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEOxPSU View Post
Hi all.. just a quick update..

it's been 6 days now and the pain seems to become more bothersome. I have got to the point where I don't even try to put full weight on it and it becomes uncomfortable so even sit or walk. Car rides are kind of interesting too..

Only thing I can think of that I did is some ligament damage. There doesn't appear to be swelling on the outside of the knee... but my knee just feels like jello.. or like nothing is even there anymore.

I mean I guess I should be happy I can still walk, but I'm sure I'm not helping out whatever could be wrong. Unlucky for me I didnt have health insurance and was approved yesterday.. so I hope to get my information so I can sched an appt to see a doc ASAP...
you should have that looked at right away.
i had the same issues ecpecially swelling on the inside of the knee. arthosccopic surgery clean medial and lateral meniscus, remove burrs from pateela, and also remove the swelling which was called plica syndrome. its getting better but am having issues with numbness on the outside of my leg from knee to hip.
go see a doc before it gets worse i let mine go for 9 months, it was hard it hurt like hell and would lock up while bending down.

Closed Thread