It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2008, 05:55 AM   #1
(male)

WALLEYE HB User
Question Knee surgery

i got a question i had arthoscopic knee surgery may 21 2008 all seems to be going well but leg numbness.
they had to trim the medial meniscus and the lateral meniscus, they also had to scrap some stuff of my patella, and i had something known as plica syndrome which they also removed. i have done the exercises they have rquested but since the surgery there is a numbness on the outside of my leg from knee area to the hip. when i ask the docter about this he states it is not related that its my back. ive had back problems for 10+ years but it has never done this. any one else have this type of problem?
the numness is not like the leg falls asleep it is a specific area, it tingles, gets hot/cold and sometimes even itchs this seems to happen whenever it wants to act upn what can i do?
it acts up walking, sitting and during my exercises.
some help me.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Knee surgery

Huh. If the nerve had gotten damaged during the surgery, you'd most likely be having problems below the knee, not above it.

Does moving or stretching your hip or back relieve the sensation or change it? It is quite possible that the surgery, immobility, changed gait, physical therapy or all of the above caused your back to change or worsen.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2008, 11:42 AM   #3
(male)

WALLEYE HB User
Wink Re: Knee surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
Huh. If the nerve had gotten damaged during the surgery, you'd most likely be having problems below the knee, not above it.

Does moving or stretching your hip or back relieve the sensation or change it? It is quite possible that the surgery, immobility, changed gait, physical therapy or all of the above caused your back to change or worsen.
My thoughts exactly, but this started as soon as i got home from surgery before i start babying that knee.
i can understand the back getting worse from the actual surgery,they really move the leg around.
anyone ever tried chiropractors on back pain?

Old 07-11-2008, 11:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kyma3 HB User

I am having surgery on my left knee in a couple of weeks due to a torn meniscus and Baker's cyst. I just had back fusion surgery in March 2008. Will this knee surgery cause me to have more problems with my back?

Thanks
Linda

Old 07-12-2008, 03:11 PM   #5
(female)

lthomas HB User
Wink Re: Knee surgery

The numbness will probably go away in a few months. Sometime it takes longer. Unfortunately on a few occasions it doesn't go away. You will notice the area of numbness getting smaller.

It does feel odd doesn't it? I don't know how to describe it either. It is a really weird feeling when I shave my legs. Isn't odd that it itches and when you scratch it you can't feel it?

I don't think I ever had the numbness to the hip. My numbness has been to the outside of the knee extending downward probably 8"-10". After knee arthorscopy I have also had surgical trauma and that hurts. It takes a few months to go away too.

Gymnastics is fun at 18 but not at 40.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:57 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Kyma, I would talk to the surgeon or physical therapist from your back surgery about ways to avoid harm to your back when undergoing the knee surgery and recovery.

Old 07-13-2008, 02:51 PM   #7
(male)

WALLEYE HB User
Talking Re: Knee surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthomas View Post
The numbness will probably go away in a few months. Sometime it takes longer. Unfortunately on a few occasions it doesn't go away. You will notice the area of numbness getting smaller.

It does feel odd doesn't it? I don't know how to describe it either. It is a really weird feeling when I shave my legs. Isn't odd that it itches and when you scratch it you can't feel it?

I don't think I ever had the numbness to the hip. My numbness has been to the outside of the knee extending downward probably 8"-10". After knee arthorscopy I have also had surgical trauma and that hurts. It takes a few months to go away too.
yes its odd it drives me nuts!!! when i talked to the docter and therapist they say no way is it related to the atrohscopy, i dont beleive that cause sometimes you can feel the nerve the runs on the inside of the knee shoot pain. (this was actually where they removed the plica syndrome and when that hurt bending you could feel a nerve get pinch).

Old 07-13-2008, 06:08 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

kyma3 HB User

Thanks Jane I have an appt. this week with the orthopedic surgeon so I will talk to him about it.

Linda

Old 07-13-2008, 06:58 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Walleye, nerve problems tend to go "down" away from the spine, not "up" toward it. It's possible it could be related to your knee, but I think it more likely the nerve is being pinched in your back or hip. It's worth looking into, anyway.

If it is from surgery, it usually fades within a few months.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:22 PM   #10
(male)

WALLEYE HB User

numbness is gone but i feel a sharp pain on inside of knee and in the oustide of and inside of my hip. any ideas?

Closed Thread