It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2008, 10:57 AM   #1
(male)

Dashooter HB User
So I have been pain in my knees for weeks now..

Hi, my name is Mike and I'm 23 years old. About a month and a half ago, I bought a new bike from a local bike store and began using it extensively during the week. When I bought the bike, I made sure to have the right size so that I would not hurt myself.

After a few weeks of riding, I began to notice pain in my knees when walking up the stairs or getting up and out of a chair, especially in the morning. I went to the doctor for this, and he took some x-rays of my knees and told me that he didn't see any problems and it is probably just tendonites. He referred me to a local physical therapy place and I began going there for about three weeks. During this period, I had been avoiding all physical activites, and the only activity I did was in the therapy sessions.

A week ago, I took a free judo class and had a great time (Ive been doing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for years, but had to take a break cause of money issues) But the following three days my knees were killing me. My P.T. checked my knees for any torn tendons, but he could not find any. He told me it probably wasn't that serious cause I could walk fine. He then stated that maybe I should go back to my doctor and get an MRI.

Yesterday I went to Philidelphia on a trip to sight see and I was walking all day. Today my knees are in a lot of pain, very sore. It seems like this is taking forever to heal. I don't know what to do. It sucks because I can't train or do anything physical. Can anybody give me any ideas on helping my knees? Ive been icing them like everyday and taking Ibuprohen. Its so weird cause Ive never had problems with my knees in my life, and I've been doing wrestling and BJJ for years. And I work out too. And also, Ive had no visual swelling in my knees at all.

Last edited by Dashooter; 07-14-2008 at 10:58 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2008, 05:51 PM   #2
(female)

lionness49 HB User
Re: So I have been pain in my knees for weeks now..

I wish someone would answer this post because I have the same problem!!!!

Old 07-22-2008, 09:01 PM   #3
(female)

leeann123456 HB User

Do your knees get painful if you travel in a car for a little while?

Old 07-23-2008, 10:43 AM   #4
(female)

Ankh HB User

hi there

First of all: do you still get that pain when you walk up the stairs? Where exactly do you feel the pain: as if it is under your kneecap, or next to your kneecap.... Also, have you had any previous injuries in your leg (ankle, knee hip)? If you had to do a squat, do your knees hurt?

Sorry for all these questions, but they are quite important when trying to figure out the problem.

Just by what you wrote in the thread, i would already consider patella femoral pain...

good luck

Old 07-23-2008, 04:31 PM   #5
(male)

Dashooter HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
hi there

First of all: do you still get that pain when you walk up the stairs? Where exactly do you feel the pain: as if it is under your kneecap, or next to your kneecap.... Also, have you had any previous injuries in your leg (ankle, knee hip)? If you had to do a squat, do your knees hurt?

Sorry for all these questions, but they are quite important when trying to figure out the problem.

Just by what you wrote in the thread, i would already consider patella femoral pain...

good luck
Yes I do have pain when going up stairs. Basically when my legs are in any type of 90 degree angle to the floor I have pain. Like getting out of a chair. I seem to feel the pain pretty much all over the front of my knee and around it. I have no previous injuries to my legs or knees. When I do a squat, I do have pain. Also, when sitting I can feel my knees ache.

The biggest problem seems to be my knees just wont heal. Its been like 2 months now and its still pretty much the same. It seems like if I even walk more than a typical day I have pain in my knees the next day.

Last edited by Dashooter; 07-23-2008 at 04:33 PM.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:33 PM   #6
(female)

leeann123456 HB User

i agree with ankh about the patella femoral pain! i had this trouble just had surgery for it. It killed top squat my knees would pop when i did. And sitting for long periods of time especially in a car.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:39 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

ozfan79 HB Userozfan79 HB Userozfan79 HB User

I agree with the previous posts..this sounds like a classic case of patellar femoral syndrome. Doing stretches to strengthen your quad muscles might help.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:26 AM   #8
(male)

Dashooter HB User

I cant really strengthen my quads because doing any type of exercise to my legs hurts my knees.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:34 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

by exercises, I mean things like straight leg raises. This can be done sitting or lying down, so there is no stress on your knees.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:07 PM   #10
(male)

Dashooter HB User

well, my knees arent that bad, the most I can do is like two sets of squats without any weights. If I do any type of leg extension my knees kill me the next day.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:15 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Have you gone back to the doctor about the pain in your knees?

Old 07-24-2008, 05:47 PM   #12
(male)

Dashooter HB User

Im actually getting an MRI done tomorrow night so yeah I went to him like a week ago.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:32 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Please write an update after you get your MRI results...I'm interested to see what you find out.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:14 AM   #14
(female)

Tralynn222 HB User

I have the exact same symptoms so I empathize with you all. My pain has lasted me over a year and I finally went to see an orthopedic. He said exactly what was previously said, bilat (meaning both) patella femoral syndrome. He injected both of my knees with cortisone and is sending me for physical therapy 3x a week.

Unfortunately for me however, my co-pay for the p/t is $60 so I won't be able to follow that order. My knees feel great today after the shots, but I know it will be short lived. I'm hoping the physical therapist will be able to give me exercises that I can do at home to stenghthen the inner thigh muscle before my pain returns.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:03 PM   #15
(male)

Dashooter HB User

so my doctor gave me the results. He said that the results of the MRI were that they were negative, which I guess means he saw nothing wrong with them. He told me I have anterior knee pain and that I should go to the physical therapy place again. The physical therapy place did nothing for my knees so I dont know what I should do. It seems like my knees feel a little better if I walk a few blocks a day, but any more than that and they will be sore again.

Closed Thread