It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2008, 05:04 PM   #1
(female)

lillian kroon HB User
total hip replacement after 3 months

I am doing very well I had my surgery on the 8th May 2008 on the right hip.
However my right knee is nearly always sore and that worries me.
Also I have lower back pain and pain in the right leg after I exercise.
I am therefore not sure whether to conti nue with bike exercise or not.
How should I fell after 11 weeks am I expecting too much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2008, 11:04 PM   #2
(female)

PsycheDancer HB User
Re: total hip replacement after 3 months

Lillian,

What kind of THR did you have? Minimal invasive anterior (front of hip) approach where nothing is cut except outer skin and bones; and muscles, flexors, tendons are moved? Or traditional approach either on the side of hip or back of leg?

I'm almost 8 weeks post-op minimal THR - I have had the occasional knee soreness, as I think it's the overcompensation of the joint dealing with the trauma my hip has just had to endure.

As for the lower back/leg pain after exercising - it almost sounds like piriformis syndrome, which is when your piriformis muscle which laterally crosses your hamstring, shortens up to protect the trauma your joint has just undergone due to surgery. It can press on your sciatic nerve, causing pain in lower back where the nerve begins, and down the leg along the sciatic nerve (and wow does this pain ever BITE.) Stretching will help - if you do a search for piriformis syndrome, you'll find some good exercises which will help (and some you might not be able to do yet until you're more healed. Again all depends on what type of THR you had.)

I'd keep to the bike - it's great exercise without putting any impact on your new joint. Just take it easy on the resistance until your knee is less painful. You want the movement right now (really helps with circulation and healing), more so than the resistance. Your muscles are still healing - give it time and you can slowly move to the resistance for strengthening.

My biggest problem is not pushing it, and taking it slower than I'm used to.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2008, 11:22 PM   #3
(female)

lillian kroon HB User

Hello,
Thank you for your helpful info.
I have had the entire hip replaced not minimal and a prosthesis made of titanium (ball and sphere) put into place.
I am in real estate and sit at a computer most of the day so my stiffness in the lower back etc is due to this I am sure.
However I was not sure how one should feel after 10 weeks, especially how long to continue taking panadol or pain killers.
Hope all is well with you.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:34 AM   #4
(female)

PsycheDancer HB User

I also have a full titanium implant with ceramic ball in the femur, with titanium cup/poly liner in my socket. The difference is, many of your leg muscles, tendons, and flexors were severed, where mine were only moved to get the implant in place. You're going to have a much longer recovery period because your muscles, etc, must repair themselves.

Right now your knee is doing most of the work that your hip cannot - yet. So soreness is no surprise.

Give yourself a break - your muscles are going to take time to repair themselves where they were cut. If you need the pain meds - take them - especially at night when you're sleeping. That's when your body does most of it's healing.

Last edited by PsycheDancer; 07-28-2008 at 09:34 AM.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:16 PM   #5
(female)

rivergirl22 HB User

Hi ladies! I had a right total hip replacement in april 2007. The hip is pain free but I still get occasional pain in that knee. I'm very active so I think it's just me abusing it. Unfortunately, I am probably going to have to have my left hip done also. I have been hearing more and more about resurfacing instead of replacement. Sounds like it can at a minimum delay getting the replacement and the recovery is much quicker. Have any of you heard about this and how successful it is?

Old 07-28-2008, 01:40 PM   #6
(female)

PsycheDancer HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivergirl22 View Post
Hi ladies! I had a right total hip replacement in april 2007. The hip is pain free but I still get occasional pain in that knee. I'm very active so I think it's just me abusing it. Unfortunately, I am probably going to have to have my left hip done also. I have been hearing more and more about resurfacing instead of replacement. Sounds like it can at a minimum delay getting the replacement and the recovery is much quicker. Have any of you heard about this and how successful it is?
I think it depends on what is wrong with your hip to begin with, and how much damage has been done. Floyd Landis (pro cyclist) had AVN but there wasn't too much damage and he had a very successful resurfacing procedure. His story is on the web. I also had AVN, but my pelvis was tilted and my left leg was actually shorter than my right because there had been so much degeneration of my femur, so resurfacing wasn't an option for me.

It's definitely something to ask your surgeon, (and your insurance company.)

Old 08-22-2008, 02:35 PM   #7
(female)

PsycheDancer HB User

wrong thread. I'm a dork.

Last edited by PsycheDancer; 08-26-2008 at 09:40 AM.

Closed Thread