It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2008, 01:35 PM   #1
(female)

slkanger HB User
Angry Swelling after Total Knee Replacement

One week ago today I had a TKR on my right knee. I had the other one done 1 1/2 yr. ago and it went fine. They say this one is fine too but I've had a lot of swelling in the lower leg this time. I wake up in the mornings and my foot is still swollen from the day before. I'm walking around some but because of the swelling, it hurts and I have trouble bending my knee. I just started PT yesterday. I tried to wear the TED hose in the hospital but I have large legs and they were cutting into my legs and the doctor had me take them off. I couldn't wear them with my previous surgery either but got along well. This time it's so much different. I'm getting pretty discouraged because of the size of my leg and how heavy it is.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2008, 01:45 PM   #2
(female)

tiredbeinsick HB Usertiredbeinsick HB Usertiredbeinsick HB Usertiredbeinsick HB Usertiredbeinsick HB Usertiredbeinsick HB User
Re: Swelling after Total Knee Replacement

Try cutting the hose and slide the thigh part over the swelling. A lot of Ice and prop your leg up as much as you can. have they thought to give you an anti Inflamitory, or fluid pills. Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2008, 08:59 PM   #3
(female)

slkanger HB User
Re: Swelling after Total Knee Replacement

I went to the doctor last week because of the swelling and she said it was because of the excessive bleeding I had (my leg had a lot of black and blue). She said it would take time for my body to absorb all this. I have been weighing myself daily and since last week, I have lost 10 lbs. Has to be the fluid. The swelling is much better now. I have large legs and the Ted hose was digging into my legs, so the doctor said to take them off. They were doing me more harm than good. She also put me on an antibiotic for 10 days. With the swelling it would be a good breeding ground for bacteria. So far, so good. Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to slkanger For This Useful Post:
vserwin (07-04-2011)
Closed Thread