It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2008, 07:13 PM   #1
(female)

lthomas HB User
Thumbs up Hip Arthroscopy

I had hip arthroscopy 4 days ago. It was indicated for me because the wear in my joint was not in the usual place and my OS thought this would be the best course of action for my hip. He is an well known expert in the field of hip arthroscopy and is highly respected in the medical community.

I just wanted to compare notes with any one that has had hip arthroscopy.

Gymnastics is fun at 18 but not at 40.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:34 PM   #2
(female)

daedra HB User
Re: Hip Arthroscopy

I had hip arthroscopy November 2008, although your 9 months post op. Did you have any set backs? I'm on Health Boards hoping to find someone to relate to some of my pain and aggravation. 9 weeks post op I still can hardly make it through thr groc, store without have to sit down or my husband having to wheel me the rest of the trip. I just read that it could take 3-6 months before there is no pain. How was your recovery?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2009, 01:57 PM   #3
(female)

italldepends HB User

Hi!
I'm sorry about the slow recovery process. There is another forum that you might be interested in where recovering patients have spoken about their recovery status, if you google search hip arthroscopy, its at a website called "coolrunning".

I have not yet had my arthroscopy- I'm planning for one in a few months.
I have been concerned about the long-term affects of the surgery and wonder about the best post-op options. Can you describe the work they did during the arthroscopy and your recovery plan? Physical Therapy, bed rest, weight bearing, etc etc.
Where did you read that it could take 3-6 for pain to subside?

Best of luck
Sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedra View Post
I had hip arthroscopy November 2008, although your 9 months post op. Did you have any set backs? I'm on Health Boards hoping to find someone to relate to some of my pain and aggravation. 9 weeks post op I still can hardly make it through thr groc, store without have to sit down or my husband having to wheel me the rest of the trip. I just read that it could take 3-6 months before there is no pain. How was your recovery?

Last edited by italldepends; 02-02-2009 at 02:04 PM.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:18 PM   #4
(female)

WindieOne HB User

I had a hip scope done in October, 2007. Although there was some post-op pain, I only used crutches for a few days, then a cane. During the surgery my doctor found arthritis so now, with more pain than before the scope, I'm having the hip replaced on March 30th...

Old 02-03-2009, 06:53 AM   #5
(female)

Runnergirl1201 HB User

I had a hip arthroscopy a week and a half ago. Right now the biggest issue I am dealign with is some numbness in my thigh right above my knee. I am limited to crutches for 4 weeks but feel like I could go without them. I do get some stiffness in my hip if I am sitting for a long period of time, but the CPM machine helps with that or simply getting up and moving around works it out. I don't hear a lot of people complain of numbness and it has me a tad bit worried. I am guessing it is from the traction. Has anyone else had numbness after a hip arthroscopy procedure?

Old 02-04-2009, 11:01 AM   #6
(female)

daedra HB User

I guess it all depends on what kind of work they are doing to your hip. My hip was dislocated, they shaved the ball of my left hip, remove about a 1/4 of the cartilage and had to repair some of the cartilage. I will need a hip replaced 5-10 years down the road they say. I was on crutches for about 5 weeks, a hip brace mobilizer for 3 weeks. My first 4 weeks I could not put more than 20 lbs of weight on the hip. Since my last post, I have finally accomplished making it through Lowe's (hardware store) and a complete grocery shopping trip without any pain. I'm 13 weeks post op and still in PT because a friends dog jumped up on me and I lost most of the range of motion back that I gained. Good Luck with your recovery!

Old 10-04-2009, 07:16 AM   #7
(male)

bwhdad HB User

I'm 4 weeks post-op, have similar numbness. How long did you have your numbness? Other than this issue I feel great, the numbness is just getting a little old. Have you found anything that helped?

Old 01-15-2010, 02:19 PM   #8
(female)

emsjane HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnergirl1201 View Post
I had a hip arthroscopy a week and a half ago. Right now the biggest issue I am dealign with is some numbness in my thigh right above my knee. I am limited to crutches for 4 weeks but feel like I could go without them. I do get some stiffness in my hip if I am sitting for a long period of time, but the CPM machine helps with that or simply getting up and moving around works it out. I don't hear a lot of people complain of numbness and it has me a tad bit worried. I am guessing it is from the traction. Has anyone else had numbness after a hip arthroscopy procedure?
Hi, Ive had a hip arthroscopy 10 days ago and i still have numbness above my knee spreading across my thigh, i don't think it is getting worse, but it certainly isnt getting any better. As you had your operation a while ago now i was wondering if yours has got better by now?

Old 02-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #9
(male)

xd2005 HB User

Sorry for reviving an old thread (emphasis on old!).

For those experiencing numbness in your thigh, any improvement?

I'm about 2.5 weeks post op and have numbness at the bottom of my thigh (about 3x5 inch patch). In addition, the area surrounding the numb spot is hypersensitive. Hip actually feels great post-op, but it's the hypersensitive skin that is giving me the biggest problems (feels like an area of really bad sunburn). Ironically, this pain is what is causing problems with me walking, not the hip.

Reply Reply