It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2008, 01:13 PM   #1
(female)

lulu222 HB User
Arthroscopic knee debridement-Torn cartlidge

Two months ago I had the left knee scoped. There was an injury to the knee about 1 1/2 years ago and the Doctor said he found the cartlidge torn to bone and cleaned it out. About two weeks ago after significant swelling of the lower leg, they drained the fluid out of the knee and gave me a shot of cortizone. Today I'm back to where I was before they drained it. Swelling and pain.

Initially the Doctor said I would be back fully in a month. Now I can't get an answer on how long this will persist. Anyone out there have any answers, advise? Is this typical for this type of surgery? I think I'm doing all I can to avoid the swelling. Physical therapy, home exercise and ice. I take celebrex but had to stop the pain meds because of stomach problems. This makes it very difficult to sleep. I would appreciate any response. Thanks.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:05 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: Arthroscopic knee debridement-Torn cartlidge

I haven't had that type of experience with my arthroscopies. Last May I had one done and even had a microfracture procedure done on the knee at the same time and didn't have any of the swelling or pain issues. I would say I used pain meds the first few days and then only occasionally after that. I find I tolerate those best on a full stomach - my secret is rice cakes. They seem to protect the stomach well.

You'll want to get some straigtforward answers from your doctor and even consdier a second opinon at this time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2008, 11:06 AM   #3
(female)

lthomas HB User

I have had several scopes. They were all out patient on Friday and back to work on Monday (except hip). No swelling after the first few days and the pain has always been 100% gone within a week.

All of the people I know that have had arthroscopy have had the same outcomes as me. I would be concerned that there might be something other than the arthroscopy that is causing the problem.

Gymnastics is fun at 18 but not at 40.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:57 PM   #4
(female)

lulu222 HB User

Thanks for the responses. The surgeon's PA called me back today and blamed my problems on arthritis and how old I am. He said this wouldn't be happening if I was 18. He said it could take 3-4 months before I notice some improvement. Everytime I talk to them they set back the date for when I should get back to normal. It doesn't seem right that 10 weeks after surgery, I'm 4 times worse than prior to surgery. I tried to schedule a second opinion but I have to get all of my records to the second Doctor before he'll decide if he will talk to me. Then I may be able to get an appointment the end of October. I guess I'm just stuck dealing with it. I just wish I had known before surgery what I know now. I would be stuck dealing with a lot less pain.

Last edited by lulu222; 08-18-2008 at 03:57 PM.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:06 AM   #5
(female)

judych HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu222 View Post
Thanks for the responses. The surgeon's PA called me back today and blamed my problems on arthritis and how old I am. He said this wouldn't be happening if I was 18. He said it could take 3-4 months before I notice some improvement. Everytime I talk to them they set back the date for when I should get back to normal. It doesn't seem right that 10 weeks after surgery, I'm 4 times worse than prior to surgery. I tried to schedule a second opinion but I have to get all of my records to the second Doctor before he'll decide if he will talk to me. Then I may be able to get an appointment the end of October. I guess I'm just stuck dealing with it. I just wish I had known before surgery what I know now. I would be stuck dealing with a lot less pain.
hi there. Im new tonight,. I know what you are talking about. Last september I had the same operations as you did. 'and they didnt help me at all. In fact, this last year Ive been very miserable..depressed and lame. Ive just had an isotope xray and it looks like I will be having a replacement done end oct. Ive already got one in other knee. Thats fine. Both knees were arthritic due to injuries....

Old 08-19-2008, 04:08 AM   #6
(female)

judych HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthomas View Post
I have had several scopes. They were all out patient on Friday and back to work on Monday (except hip). No swelling after the first few days and the pain has always been 100% gone within a week.

All of the people I know that have had arthroscopy have had the same outcomes as me. I would be concerned that there might be something other than the arthroscopy that is causing the problem.
have you taken any anti inflammatories? somtimes they do help with the pain. For some reason there is a lot of discrepancy between different people as far as pain goes.
Ive always had a lot of pain with operations on my knees. Ive had about 13 surgeries on my left knee and now have a replacement. Ive found that taking anti inflammatories after replacement is great for easing pain.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:46 PM   #7
(female)

lulu222 HB User

I wish that I could take anti-inflammatory meds. They just cause more problems with the stomach. Celebrex and Tylenol is about all I can handle.

It is a little scary to hear you have the same issues a year after surgery, Judy. I don't like the sound of knee replacement surgery either. It's like once you start, it never ends. Everyone I spoke to before my scope said it made them feel 100% better, which is why I jumped on it when this surgeon said he could fix my problem. I wanted to run again and he said he could help me do that. Now, I'm guessing, that part of my life is over with. I'm sorry to hear I'm not the only one with issues.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:21 AM   #8
(female)

judych HB User

Quote:
Ive had a similar experience this last 12 months. I had debridement and removal of cartilage...done in two surgeries. I found the pain was so much worse, and even after intensive physio the pain has never left me, in 11 months. Im now facing a knee replacment later this year. Ive had more trouble with this knee that I would have believed possible after two surgeries on it. I was better off with just the torn cartilage and feathering under the patella, the pain was nowhere near as bad as after these were operated on.
as a result Im quite lame. I also have a growing problem with my feet. I had a nuclear xray done last week and my feet have showed up arthritic as well....
don know what will happen with them. Perhaps having the knee replaced will provide some ease? who knows.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:12 AM   #9
(female)

lulu222 HB User

I certainly hope so. Why did you have two surgeries for the debridement and cartlidge removal?
I would do a lot of research on the knee replacement surgery before I would ever let them do anything else to me. I am convinced now I was deceived and would have been much better off without the scope. I hope your replacement goes well. A friends father is about to replace both knees at the same time. He said it will consist of a long hospital stay and weeks in a rehabilitation center. He said he is doing both because he heard that once you have recovered from one you do not want to have to go through the same thing a second time. He is expecting a very painful and long recovery but said it is worth it to have it over with.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:45 AM   #10
(female)

judych HB User

Quote:
I certainly hope so. Why did you have two surgeries for the debridement and cartlidge removal?
I would do a lot of research on the knee replacement surgery before I would ever let them do anything else to me. I am convinced now I was deceived and would have been much better off without the scope. I hope your replacement goes well. A friends father is about to replace both knees at the same time. He said it will consist of a long hospital stay and weeks in a rehabilitation center. He said he is doing both because he heard that once you have recovered from one you do not want to have to go through the same thing a second time. He is expecting a very painful and long recovery but said it is worth it to have it over with.

actually, to start with the cartilage tear was trimmed. That and the underneath of the patella was scraped. Then I had more pain so the dr removed all of the cartilage...and did some trimming on the fatty area on the inside of the kneejoint. I cant remember what he called it now.

regarding knee replacement. Ive already had one replacement on the left leg, and no trouble with it.

Also...my mum, who is 82, has just come out of hospital after having the two done. She is just marvellous with her recovery. Its two weeks today and she was out to lunch today.......in fact she is far better than I was with only having one done.....go figure...lol....

I think she was in so much pain beforehand...and was on oxycontin...that when she started on her prior meds after surgery she was feeling far more pain relief than before...

its just great to see how she is recovering. she was in hospital 10 days...no more. came home to her home and has been showering herself since she came home..

One thing.....when I was done three years ago I had an epidural for at least 24 hours.
When mum had her surgery two weeks ago they put a series of injections into her spine...enough pain relief for at least 24 hours....

the next morning after theatre they had her out of bed taking about two-three steps. I couldnt believe just how quickly they move with patients these days. In three years there have been a lot of changes.
regards judych

Closed Thread