It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2008, 02:29 PM   #1
(female)

jen9803 HB User
failed ACL reconstruction???

I will try to be brief..

I tore my ACL playing softball when I was 13 (1988). I grew up in a small town...no ortho surgeon would touch me since I was still growing. Did not have ACL reconstruction until I was almost 21. During that time, my knee "popped" out of place countless times. It was so unstable. I had to give up all sports. So, surgery at 21 went well. I was able to start running again. Life happened. Blew out an ankle. Had that reconstructed. Started running again...ongoing ankle problems. So, there has certainly been additional stress on that knee lately.

The last few weeks, I have had intense pain when getting up and full weight bearing in that knee, right over the site where the tendon used for the ACL would have been attached to the patella. It is sharp and deep. I've had a few occasions where I've had that "feeling" of instability, but not like the episodes I had prior to the ACL reconstruction.

My ACL was reconstructed in the spring of 1996. So over 12 years...is it possible that it has now failed? Or maybe the tendon is disintegrating? Anyone? I should also mention that about 50% of the meniscus was removed as it was in shreds due to the excessive injury.

I should also point out that I have very "loose" ligaments and I am also battling a strained rotator cuff that has not responded to conservative treatment. The OS that did my right ankle seemed very concerned about the laxity in my ligaments/joints. I have been tested for RA and other autoimmune, but nothing so far.

Back to the ACL...HELP!! I am going to my original surgeon at the end of August for both the shoulder and knee, but the knee really scares me. I had a really hard time with that surgery and it doesn't look like ACL revisions are any better.

Jen

Last edited by jen9803; 08-13-2008 at 02:31 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2008, 05:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
Re: failed ACL reconstruction???

I would certainly get it checked again to rule out that you haven't damaged it or that it hasn't stretched for some reason. The elasticity in mine was totally gone but not detectable via an MRI as it looked normal but when it was operated on what started out as a scope turned into a full blown acl reconstruct.

There are a few genetic disorders that are collagen based which actually cause your ligaments and tendons to be very lax. The one that comes to mind is Ehlers Danlos Syndrome and you need a skin biopsy to test for it. It is genetic so someone in your family line must have it in order for you to. About 1 in 5000 people have this condition and most doctors are not even aware of what it is. Again, there are many others similiar to this condition and a geneticist is your best bet in determining if there's more going on than meets the eye

Closed Thread