It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2008, 04:27 AM   #1
(female)

ohmygoshbrick HB User
Thumbs up Arthrodesis of the knee

Hi don't know if anyone can help or has been in a similar position. I am 38 and when I was 14 I had my right knee fused. I am currently experiencing the most awful discomfort at both the top of my leg and below my knee sometimes I think it is muscular sometimes I'm not sure but all I can say is that if I could bend it I think that is the only thing that would relieve it a bit. I don't know of anybody else who has had their knee fused nor have I over the 24 years since I had it done and it would be nice to hear from anyone else or see if anyone else who has had it done has had these problems and if so what did they do? I had the same problems with it a couple of years and went to the hospital but they could find nothing untoward so I carried on and the problem seemed to go away with time but now it is back and really uncomfortable it seems to be all the way up my leg. Its not nice any advice from anybody would be helpful seeing as I don't know anybody else I can ask.

thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2008, 06:38 AM   #2
(female)

luckygrandma6 HB User
Re: Arthrodesis of the knee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmygoshbrick View Post
Hi don't know if anyone can help or has been in a similar position. I am 38 and when I was 14 I had my right knee fused. I am currently experiencing the most awful discomfort at both the top of my leg and below my knee sometimes I think it is muscular sometimes I'm not sure but all I can say is that if I could bend it I think that is the only thing that would relieve it a bit. I don't know of anybody else who has had their knee fused nor have I over the 24 years since I had it done and it would be nice to hear from anyone else or see if anyone else who has had it done has had these problems and if so what did they do? I had the same problems with it a couple of years and went to the hospital but they could find nothing untoward so I carried on and the problem seemed to go away with time but now it is back and really uncomfortable it seems to be all the way up my leg. Its not nice any advice from anybody would be helpful seeing as I don't know anybody else I can ask.

thanks
My OS has suggested arthrodesis for my knee as I have had 4 surgeries, final being TKR and have unstable knee. I am in no pain and refuse to let him do this to me. I will live this way the rest of my life before I let him make a total invalid out of me. I'd never be able to drive a car again as it is my right leg and everything I've learned about this procedure scares me to death. At least I can bend my knee if my leg and knee get aching and it does help.Basically moving it gets the blood flowing and you can't do this if you are fused solid. Why was this done to you. It is a doctors way out when he doesn't know what else to do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2008, 07:24 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Well, keep in mind 24 years ago replacements weren't a terribly good option, especially not for young people, hence fusions were done more frequently. And knee fusion can be useful in extreme cases even today, such as when a replacement fails due to infection and can't be put back in.

As far as your current pain, can you massage the muscles some? Are you able to tense and release them? Maybe you could see a physical therapist for some more suggestions.

I know we had at least one other person on the board who'd had a knee fusion, if you click on Advanced Search at the top of this page, search "knee and hip problems Board" for either fusion or arthrodesis, you should find something.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:50 AM   #4
(female)

ohmygoshbrick HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygrandma6 View Post
My OS has suggested arthrodesis for my knee as I have had 4 surgeries, final being TKR and have unstable knee. I am in no pain and refuse to let him do this to me. I will live this way the rest of my life before I let him make a total invalid out of me. I'd never be able to drive a car again as it is my right leg and everything I've learned about this procedure scares me to death. At least I can bend my knee if my leg and knee get aching and it does help.Basically moving it gets the blood flowing and you can't do this if you are fused solid. Why was this done to you. It is a doctors way out when he doesn't know what else to do.
As I said I was only 14 when I had the op done so in some ways it was taken out of my hands that said though until now I haven't had any major problems with it, ok it sticks out if I'm on a bus and can get in the way at most unfortunate of time. I learnt to drive in an automatic car and passed my test first time shame of it is though I didn't enjoy driving so don't do it would have been so good for me. I had my leg fused because from what my folks tell me for me it really was the last option my knee was knackered beyond repair it was either I had it fused or I ended up in a wheelchair for life and I was obviously too young for a knee replacement. I know in my case it wasn't the doctors way out and ok so it's giving me grief now but I've had a stiff leg longer than I haven't so I'm sure and hoping that eventually it improves and things get back to what I consider normal. Had I been the one to make the decision do I have it fused or not I don't know what decision I would have made instead it was up to my mum/dad to make that decision for me or at least sign the consent form for the op all I know is that up until now I know having a fused knee has never bothered me. Unfortunately for me when I had mine done they had hoped I had stopped growing but after the op I got a sudden burst so a few years after I ended up having my other leg shortened by 3&1\4 inches never rains but it pours. Anyway I hope I haven't waffled on too much really do hope you make the right decision on your leg. I trusted my doctor implicitly I had that many problems when I was young I grew up with him as he flourished into the top orthopaedic surgeon at my local hospital.

Closed Thread