It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2008, 07:56 AM   #1
(female)

purplebear76 HB User
Unhappy Patellofemoral Syndrome and lateral release

Hello I am new here! I just found this board and I am hoping that strangers can help me chose what should do!!

I have had knee pain for 20+ years. I am now 32 so yes, it has been almost all of my life. My knee doesn't always hurt everyday all day, but it has been killing me since I gave birth to my son 4 months ago.

I was told I have Petellofemoral and went to PT. PT didn't do anything but make my knee hurt worse. I do have tightness in my quad, hamstrings, and IT band. I really worked hard and did losen them.

Anywho, I went to the ortho and he gave me a cortozone shot () hurt! After the numbness went away it hurt like normal. I had an MRI and it showed NOTHING WRONG with my knee. Perfect! I am so upset b/c me knee really does hurt!

The othro said there are not many options for what I have. He could do a LATERAL RELEASE, but I don't have all the criteria for it. He said he may help or 3 months later it could be the same and I went through all the pain for nothing.

I don't know what to do. Like I said my knee is not always in pain, but when it is it hurts! I have also tried ice, elevation, inflamortory meds, naproxen, ect. Even when I took perks (left over from the birth of my son) I could still feel the pain (no where near as bad though).

Do I do a surgery that may do nothing for my knee? I also have a 4 month old at home. My DH would help out, but how bad is the recovery?

HELP???!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2008, 09:51 AM   #2
(female)

spoiltmom HB User
Re: Patellofemoral Syndrome and lateral release

I'm so sorry you got the Cortisone shot. Those shots don't help patellofemoral knee pain. I've had it for almost 6 years now. I had a lateral release done in November of 2005 and I'm happy to say I've never once regretted it. The recovery is painful though. Even though it's keyhole surgery your leg swells up and bruises from the knee cap to your ankle. It's stiff and getting around is hard. It took me 3 weeks before I wasn't in terrible pain anymore. It was definitely worth it though. I still have knee pain but it's no where near what it used to be.

Good Luck!

Closed Thread