It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2008, 01:19 PM   #1
(female)

michamouse1 HB User
My drain hole is still draining...

I'm at almost 2 weeks after my THR an the area that had drain tubes in the hospital is still draining. Does this ever stop?

Any one else have to use coumadin? How long can I expect to stay on the coumadin?

Michelle

Last edited by michamouse1; 08-26-2008 at 01:21 PM.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:30 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User
Re: My drain hole is still draining...

I had drainage for the first two weeks, but it became progressively less over time. I had my staples removed on the 20th which was 16 days after surgery and had drainage for about 2 days after. The drainage by then was light yellow/brown (sort of looked like watercolors) and I was told it was just old blood.

I didn't have to take coumadin, but was given Lovenox for 20 days after I was discharged from the hospital--it is a self injectable blood thinner. Today was last day for me to give myself an injection (today is day 23 post surgery for me).

Maggie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2008, 06:04 PM   #3
(female)

michamouse1 HB User

Thanks Larimer.
I was beginning to think something might be wrong having all this fluid. And yet, I could anticipate some more.

I'm glad the hospital sent me home with a sheet. I've been using it under me to absorb the fluid and not stain the bed sheets.

What kind of excercises are you doing in pt? I'm not allowed to put any weight on my operated leg nor am I allowed to due any excercises where my leg swings out to the side. I still need someone to help me get in and out of bed because of this limitation.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:42 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Hi. I was given a sheet of seven exercises to do including abduction exercise. Its my understanding that the abdiction exercise, where leg swings out to the side, is allowed depending on the type of incision that your doctor has performed. My doctor said it was ok for me and I didn't have any trouble doing it after the first week. The first week, I had to have some minor assistance (family member holding ankle). When I went back to the doctor to have staples removed, they gave me two additional exercises which appear to me to be designed to increase mobility of my operated leg. They are pretty easy to do.

My prosthesis was uncemented. But, I was told to put as much weight on it as I could bear--full weight bearing if possible. Aside from the sheet of exercises, the only PT they told me to do was to walk as much as possible. The doctor also told me I could go back to the pool and do pool walking. He told me to wait until 5 days after staple removal to go to the pool. I haven't done it yet, only because the pool is a mile from my house and I'm still restricted from driving. (won't be allowed to drive until 6 weeks post surgery as I was operated on right hip.) I'm not quite up to walking a mile, swimming and walking another mile back home!!!!

I'm scheduled to see the surgeon for another follow up at 8 weeks post surgery and I'm told at that appointment he will xray my hip, evaluate my progress, discuss continuing limitations, if any, and advise next steps for PT. I assume he'll tell me then when I can return to working out in the gym and what kind of exercises I can do and how much weight I can use. I intend to ask about stretching in particular as I think I will need a lot of that. I also hope I will be able to start getting some massage work done as both sides of my body need work--lots of muscle shortening and weakness in some muscles that haven't been used properly in a long time.

Hope this helps.

Maggie

Last edited by Larimergirl; 08-26-2008 at 08:44 PM. Reason: correct wording

Old 08-27-2008, 05:55 PM   #5
(female)

michamouse1 HB User

My prosthesis was also uncemented, but because I've been on steroids for 10 years, it's apparently softened my bones. That's why I'm not allowed to put any weight on my leg. It sucks. It sounds like your doing really well and that's always encouraging to hear.

I had a breakdown today an just cried. I hate being so dependent on others. I'm not even allowed to get out of bed on my own yet because I can't do abduction moves. I got up the strength to get into the car, with pain pills, and my husband drove me to the salon to get my hair washed. First time in two weeks and it felt great to have done. We couldn't come up with a way of doing it here at the house. The short trip in the car was really uncomfortable and I'm glad I don't have to get back in one until next week for my first follow up.

Michelle

Old 08-28-2008, 09:05 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User

i'm so sorry you feel so down today michelle. it's such early days after your op, you're still probably recovering from the effects of the actual op itself, as much as your wound and hip healing. just try and be patient and think about how you'll be in a few weeks and months down the line.
i know what you're saying about being so dependent on others, it's awful and i hated it too. try and let the impatience go, and enjoy being waited on and cared for while you recover.
if i knew a joke, i'd tell you it to make you laugh, but i will say the title you gave this thread sounds like a song title and made me smile - maybe someone could set it to music??
best wishes to you, sue x

Old 08-28-2008, 09:54 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

It is really hard being dependent on others--even family members. I have had regular pity parties these first three weeks or so. I just decided it was ok to cry but did try to do it when I was by myself (or with only my dogs looking on in puzzlement). This operation is really pretty invasive. It's not surprising that we have a hard time adapting not only to our restrictions but also just to the operation itself.

I wish I had some jokes to tell you too! But, hang in there. Every day will get a little better. Glad you were able to get out and get hair done--my first shampoo after surgery was bliss. Made me feel human again.

Take care.

Maggie

Old 08-28-2008, 11:10 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User

hip replacement ops are so commonplace these days that i think we all forget - including us hip people ourselves - that it's still a major operation, with all that brings with it and you're entitled to have a few tears along the way.
michelle, i'm off to france in a few days and am determined to wear these 2 new bikinis i've bought. now, what you have to bear in mind is that i'm no spring chicken, and no lightweight, with quite a rotund pot belly - can you picture it? i'm going to lie there in the sun, smothered in sun cream, sipping large glasses of wine and eating yards of french bread, flashing my two rather long hip op scars like badges of honour! (walks away singing 'my drain hole is still draining' in a country music kind of style)
sue

Old 08-28-2008, 12:57 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User

Dear

liverpool sue
larimergirl
michamouse1:

I think we THR experiencers all are heros and heroines of a sort! We can wear our scars with pride, knowing we went through, and rehabbed from, a serious operation and are still living our lives.

These scars are so common now that few would even wonder about them. So girls, wear your bikinis proudly! Those scars are your medals of honor.

Shirley H.

Last edited by Silver Swan; 08-28-2008 at 12:58 PM. Reason: change wording

Closed Thread