It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2008, 04:40 AM   #1
(male)

ramiro1 HB User
85 yr old man Partial hip replacement

Hi,
Completely new to this.

My 85 year old father had surgery yesterday. He is in a lot of pain. I am not use to seeing him this way, of course. And I would like to hear from anyone about how do you deal with this. What can I tell him? I am his oldest son. My younger brother passed away 5 yrs. ago from luekemia.

Let me first explain what happened to him. He slipped and fell on his right side getting out of the bathroom on Wednesday of last week. He broke the round part of the femur. So in the emergency room the surgeon told us he didn't need a thp. It was done the very next morning. An hour after the surgery the surgeon came and told us that the round part of replacement was not sitting correct. He saw this in the x-ray. So he needed to go back in to fix this. My father developed pnuemonia. So that had to be taken care of first. That took the week-n plus Monday. The surgeon did the surgery on Tuesday morning. Everything went fine. He said that the flap or the cartilage had folded over and that was what was preventing the replacement from laying flush with the cup.
It's now been a full week. That's where he is now.
And as I said, he's in a lot of pain.
I'm sure that I'm not alone when I say that I feel helpless.
And I don't know what more to ask the nurses to do, because they seem to be doing everything they can.
Need some help.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User
Re: 85 yr old man Partial hip replacement

Dear ramiro1:

You have to be an Advocate for your father. He is suffering and cannot fight for himself right now. Get in touch with his doctor. My husband was in a nursing home for three years and I was his Advocate. You have to keep after the doctors and nurses and articulate what problems your father is having with pain. We family members know the patient better than the medical people, and know when they aren't doing well in some way. Sometimes we have to be very persistent.

Shirley H.

Last edited by Silver Swan; 08-27-2008 at 07:20 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread