It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2008, 07:49 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User
Driving after THR (Right hip)

Hi. I won't be able to drive for about two more weeks, but would be interested in tips about driving after right THR.

For example, I know that I can't violate hip precautions in getting in driver's side, but haven't found any illustrations on best way to get into driver's side. Assume seat is back as far as possible and just have to get in without bending right leg/hip to 90 degrees. I know about using cushions and I've heard about the tip of using a plastic bag to slide in easily. Any other tips????

Also, when I start driving to work, I will have to drive on major freeways with tons of heavy traffic. I assume I ought to have a few practice drives in my neighborhood before I attempt a major road. Any thoughts about preparing to drive in heavy traffic?

All other advice welcome!!!!

I'm anxious to drive to get back my mobility and independence, but also very nervous about it too.

Maggie

Old 08-29-2008, 08:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User
Re: Driving after THR (Right hip)

Hi Maggie:

It was my right hip that was replaced, and here is how to get into the driver's seat:

1. Put plastic yard bag on driver's seat for easy sliding and no "sticking".

2. Back up to seat and have seat adjusted way back and also lowered to sleeping level if possible (this gives you more space to get legs lifted in).

3. Lower your bottom to seat, hanging on to each side of door jamb for stability.

4. Lift both legs into car at the same time. I used my leg lifter on operated leg and this was so helpful.

5. Pull car door closed with dressing stick. This really helped me.

6. Move driver seat back to good driving position. Make sure you can easily reach the brake and gas pedals. This position might be different from the one that worked well before the surgery.

7. Put dressing stick and leg lifter on front passsenger seat.

Before getting into the driver's seat I folded the walker and put it in the back seat. Hang on to the side of the car to reach the driver door, and also when getting out and going to the back door of car to get out walker. (I assume you have a four door car like I do.)

All the above felt awkward for quite a while, but then got to be routine and "second nature".
I am still getting in and out of the driver's seat the same way. I am accustomed to it and it doesn't take extra time. I of course no longer have to use the walker. Yay!

Shirley H.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread