It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2008, 05:23 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User
Feeling a little low--The living alone after THR blues.

Yesterday started to not feel well--called primary physician, decided might have the beginnings of a bladder infection. Since I can't drive yet, and have no helpers, she called in a prescription. Hasn't really kicked in yet, so spent today feeling low grade lousy. On an up note, walked almost 2 miles in the morning without problems. Every day hip does better--though I have to nap after every walk and after every activity. Thought I would feel like doing needlepoint or other intensive project, but it's all I can do to walk twice a day, read books, make meals and nap.

Today feeling blue because I'm not anyone's primary concern--pity party time!--don't like having to rely on friends to make time to drive me to doctor's appointments, etc even though I know its only for two more weeks. Also, friends say they will come by and then get busy--everyone means well. That being said I've had quite a bit of company early in the week. I'm just feeling blue because I don't feel well.

My primary physician says she'll send me to a urologist for further tests after I'm up and mobile because I had two of these in the months before surgery and this is my second since surgery 28 days ago. First post surgery infection everyone expected due to catheter. Second one--not sure really if I have infection or not--just some pressure in bladder and general not feeling well. Temperature is almost normal--not very elevated. Saying a prayer that meds she gave me this week will do the trick for a while. Bad enough dealing with THR rehab and worrying about bladder infections! Of course, I am fixated on the fact that any infection could affect implant. My cousin the nurse tells me not to worry as I am treating the conditions as they arise and catching bladder infection in early stage. Still............

Anyway, think I will read a book for a while then take a shower, take meds and pull covers over my head early tonight (or watch a movie from netflix).

Maggie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2008, 05:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User
Re: Feeling a little low--The living alone after THR blues.

Dear Maggie:

It sounds to me like a two mile walk at this point in your rehab might be a mite too ambitious! Maybe cut this down some?

Two miles is 20 city blocks and that is a long walk right now for you.

Your idea of doing something active, then resting, then going back to another activity sounds very good to me. This way you don't exhaust yourself. With the addition of a possible bladder infection, there is enough strain on your body so that you need to not overdo on anything. You will very gradually get more energy and surprise yourself at all your new abilities as they appear.

Living alone is challenging, I know, since I live alone. I believe you have a cat? Kitties can be wonderfully supportive and companionable. s

Shirley H.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:34 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Hi shirley--the 2 mile route was done by accident. I went walking with a friend and we were talking. When I got home, I plotted the route on mapquest and was shocked to see how far we had walked. Today, by myself, I did my usual eight tenths of a mile. Will do another small walk this evening when it gets cooler. Too hot to walk in Houston after about 10 am. through 5:30. I was pleased yesterday to have no pain or ill effects from the long walk, but decided wasn't prudent to push today. Feeling better today a bit. I think if it were cooler I'd be less blue, but weather may be about to change dramatically depending on what happens with hurricane Gustav!

Have a nice weekend.

Maggie

Old 09-06-2008, 09:24 PM   #4
(female)

dopeyanne HB User

Hi Maggie,
You very kindly answered my post about knee and leg pain. I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling blue. I too have a bladder infection right now. I just seem to get rid of it and it is back again. I went to see the urologist and he did a procedure which was painless because I was knocked out for a short time.
This was a few years ago. He said that the bladder isn't emptying completely and that I must make sure that I wait and also push just like when you are having a baby. He said this happens as we get older. He went on to say that
if I had been in better health he would have operated. He suggested that I just keep on as usual taking antibiotics. I also had it about 8 weeks ago while I was in the hospital. Sometimes is very, very sore but other times I don't even know I have it.
It must be difficult being on your own. Before my husband retired and I had to go into the hospital I did rely on neighbours to take me into town. I finally wouldn't ask and just muddled along. My husband would try to leave his school early but invariably a parent or someone would come in and would want to talk. I have a wonderful neighbour who called and asked me why I hadn't called for a ride. I told her that it was getting embarrassing. She said Dorothy I know you would do it for me, but what she said next has never left me. This is what she said. Don't you care enough not to insult us by thinking we are the kind of people that wouldn't help you. She went on to say that it made them (meaning her husband) feel that I trusted them enough to ask for help. This lady now is in her late 80's and when I can I go to see her. Her son runs their farm now that her husband has passed and you know in the winter we will wake up to a driveway that is cleared of snow. He always checks to see if there is anything we need. So, Maggie trust your friends and neighbours. They do this because they care for you and I am sure would feel badly if they knew how you felt. Take care and I will be watching to see how you are doing. Take care and know that you are loved. Dorothy

Last edited by HBMod07; 09-07-2008 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Please only quote the portion of the thread you are responding to and not the entire thread

Old 09-07-2008, 05:54 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User

Dear Maggie:

Yikes! Reading this thread today reminded me that I have to, quick like a bunny, get my anti biotic prescription refilled for my dental cleaning and exam tomorrow! Good thing I was reminded, or I would have gotten there without having taken the stuff and sent away with no cleaning or exam. So thanks from me for this.

Know that we here are concerned about your progress and welfare after your hip surgery, although we do also understand how lonely it feels with no one in house to encourage you and just "be there". We are there in spirit.

It sounds like you are making good progess because you notice changes are happening.
Keep up the good work.

Rehabbing ourselves takes much emotional and physical energy, so I am not surprised that you don't feel up to doing much besides taking care of yourself every day. You are listening to what your body wants and needs and that is good. Keep up the good work. You'll "get there".

Shirley H.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:50 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Thanks Shirley and Dorothy: My primary physician called me today (on a Sunday!) just to see how I was feeling and to tell me she was working on getting me an appointment with a urologist for next week before I go back to work. Am feeling a lot better, but it does help to have such a supportive doctor! (I'd pay to see her even if she weren't on my insurance plan!).

Weather here is getting a little cooler and I feel a little better. It helps that I now don't have to wear those TED stockings (so hot to wear in 92 degree heat) and also was told I can start driving around town and practicing before I have to do the long drive to work in a weeks time. So, this morning, I tried church and on way home I drove to the drugstore and carwash. Total 3 miles round trip, but felt so much better! I have been practicing getting in and out of car and not sure I have right combo of pillows but its almost there. I didn't have any trouble with braking (my THR was on right hip) but felt a little bit sore when I got home. I'll practice a little bit every day.

Thanks for your good wishes. It really does help!

Maggie

Last edited by Larimergirl; 09-07-2008 at 11:51 AM.

Old 09-07-2008, 01:29 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Maggie:

It was my right hip that was replaced, too, and that worried me about driving. The first few times I drove the new hip was a bit sensitive, but that discomfort didn't last too long and after that I never even thought about it. Just be sure that your hips are always higher than your knees. Returning to driving really does give us a lot more freedom and perks up our spirits. You're doing just great, Maggie!

Shirley H.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:36 PM   #8
(female)

dopeyanne HB User

Hi Maggie,
You are really doing well. It must have taken a lot nerve to get behind the wheel again. Shirley gave you good advice about having your hips at a good angle.
I'm so glad that your Dr. is sending you to the neurologist. I had a lady Dr. for over 20 years. Her husband was a surgeon and he wanted to move to a larger hospital. Oh how I miss her. My family Dr. now is nice enough but it's kind of nice to have a woman to talk to.
Don't rush yourself. You will have to be in tip top condition for getting back to work. Take care, I'll keep watching to see how you make out. Bye for now Dorothy

Old 09-08-2008, 09:51 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Maggie:

You mentioned trying to find the right combination of pillows for your car's driver seat. I have the combination one for mine - a little round pillow, quite firm, that just fills that little hollow in the middle of the car driver seat, thus making the seat level, and over this little round pillow, a regular sofa pillow filled with feathers. This is working so well for me. I plan on leaving them there.

Shirley H.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:43 PM   #10
(female)

bgrace HB User

My priest says whenever you start feeling low, help someone less fortunate. It always works for me. It may be just a phone call to an elderly lonely person.

Last edited by bgrace; 03-17-2011 at 01:44 PM.

Closed Thread