It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2008, 10:59 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User
Hip Precautions and visiting OBGYN at early stage of recovery

Hi. I know others have asked the question whether its safe to see obgyn and put feet in stirrups at 6 months or later in hip replacement recovery but I can't find any information about doing so earlier in recovery. When is it safe to visit the ob/gyn and put feet in stirrups? Can it be done prior to 6 weeks. Has anyone had to go to the obgyn early in recovery. If so, how did doctor handle the exam.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2008, 11:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User
Re: Hip Precautions and visiting OBGYN at early stage of recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larimergirl View Post
Hi. I know others have asked the question whether its safe to see obgyn and put feet in stirrups at 6 months or later in hip replacement recovery but I can't find any information about doing so earlier in recovery. When is it safe to visit the ob/gyn and put feet in stirrups? Can it be done prior to 6 weeks. Has anyone had to go to the obgyn early in recovery. If so, how did doctor handle the exam.

Thanks.
Hi Maggie:

I asked that question on this Board some months ago. Didn't get any responses that helped me and also couldn't find any answers on the Internet.

Maybe two or three months after my replacement, I did ask my hip surgeon during a checkup, about this, and he said a pelvic in the stirrups was OK.

I still haven't contacted my GYN's nurse to check whether this is also OK with my GYN, who is a woman.

I keep putting off this phone call. Why? Because I am so tired out from medical appointments and tests the past two years. I do have to get this done, though. Will let you know what I learn.

Shirley H.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2008, 04:19 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

I'm going to try to get hold of my surgeon's Physician's Assistant and ask her this question on Tuesday. I'm surprised, with so many women on this board, that no one has an answer to the question. I'm just having some problems that I suspect are minor and expect the obgyn to want to see me. I will also call the obgyn's office tomorrow and see what she says too.

If I get an answer Shirley, I'll post and let you know.

Maggie

Last edited by Larimergirl; 09-01-2008 at 04:20 PM.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:37 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

According to my surgeon's Physician's Assistant, they say that it is ok to go to the gynecologists and put feet in stirrups after you hit the 6 weeks post surgery mark. After 6 weeks, there's not a lot of danger for dislocation with this position but, of course, said that you should be careful when getting into position.

Didn't check with Ob/gyn's office yet.

At least I have a rule of thumb now.

Maggie

Last edited by Larimergirl; 09-02-2008 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Add sentence

Old 09-02-2008, 05:59 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User

Hi Maggie:

Thanks loads for getting and passing on this valuable piece of information for us ladies. I still haven't called my GYN's nurse but better get that done soon. Will report what she says. I have thought about that need for being very careful getting into position in the stirrups.

Oddly enough, this last week my car stopped running in the middle of a city street, and had to be towed. What a hard time I had climbing into that very high tow truck cab! Those two steps are super high and my unoperated leg was harder to get up than the new hip one. Tow truck driver had to give me a boost. What an adventure. (Car needed new fuel pump.) Left hip and knee still sore. Of course this never happened before I had the hip replacement. ARRGH. What next...

Shirley H.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:49 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

I had a similar experience being boosted into a friend's SUV the other day. In addition to the high step, most seats in cars are slanted to have knees slightly higher than hips. So, I've taken to bringing a boat cushion with me when I ride in friend's cars so that I keep the correct angle. It's really handy to have the cushion too if restaurant seating is bad.

Glad your car experience wasn't too bad (all things considered).

Maggie

Last edited by Larimergirl; 09-02-2008 at 06:50 PM.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:44 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Maggie:

What a great idea, taking that boat cushion with you for correcting seating in cars and public places such as restaurants. Those seats sure aren't designed to protect our new hips. I am planning on leaving my two cushions on the driver's seat in my car. The plastic bag, too, for easy sliding. I am used to it now, so why change?

Shirley H.

Closed Thread